06-06-12 – Vehicles

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-06-12 – Vehicles

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Vehicles including cars, boats, bikes, rockets, skateboards, etc.

Theme suggestion kudos go to U-Man–thanks!

emiliogtz
    Participant

Do scale-models count?

ennuipoet
    Participant

I need two quick clarifications. 1) Does the vehicle need to be clearly in the photo, or can it’s passage via a streak of light imply it’s presence and 2)Must the vehicle be the focus of the photo or must a vehicle just be present in the photo?

Curious
    Participant

I need two quick clarifications. 1) Does the vehicle need to be clearly in the photo, or can it’s passage via a streak of light imply it’s presence and 2)Must the vehicle be the focus of the photo or must a vehicle just be present in the photo?

speaking just for myself i don’t vote for things that look like they were incidental originally. now that said i voted for the grasshopper on the rusty thing by MaestroBen simply because i liked it. still think it’s a photo of a grasshopper not rust and therefore off theme.

ennuipoet
    Participant

speaking just for myself i don’t vote for things that look like they were incidental originally. now that said i voted for the grasshopper on the rusty thing by MaestroBen simply because i liked it. still think it’s a photo of a grasshopper not rust and therefore off theme.

In the shots I am thinking of using, the vehicles are actually the theme of the photo. The first is a long exposure of a car turning in front of me and pulling away, you cannot see the car only the streak of it’s departing lights. In the second, another long exposure, the vehicles are all stopped while the pedestrians are all motion blurred. So, both are about vehicles but vehicles are not necessarily the focal point of the shot.

bender16v
    Participant

I blew my plan for this one. Some local guy opened his car collection to the public today and I went to see it, but I only took a 50mm lens. This guy had so many cars all packed into a building that I couldn’t get any decent shots of the whole cars. I did get some close-ups that might work, if they don’t have my drool on the cars. There was everything from an old supercharged Auburn to a Bugatti Veyron.

emiliogtz
    Participant

* shakes tiny fist at ennuipoet *

I was planning on doing some long exposures of departing cars too… hehe. Actually, it was an 18 wheeler, but the whole streaks thing didn’t worked out as I expected it (think Akira-style light streaks), the trailer doors shine too much, so I’m half past that idea.

Curious
    Participant

So, both are about vehicles but vehicles are not necessarily the focal point of the shot.

so they are artsy fartsy stuff. cool.

i still wouldn’t vote for them. i want all entries to look like mine with the theme subject centered in the frame or if not then arranged by the rule of thirds. imagination or thinking out of the box will not be tolerated. once snapshot quality prevails my entries will rise to the top and i will break back into the top ten.

ennuipoet
    Participant

So, both are about vehicles but vehicles are not necessarily the focal point of the shot.

so they are artsy fartsy stuff. cool.

i still wouldn’t vote for them. i want all entries to look like mine with the theme subject centered in the frame or if not then arranged by the rule of thirds. imagination or thinking out of the box will not be tolerated. once snapshot quality prevails my entries will rise to the top and i will break back into the top ten.

I lahk thah artsiefarstie I does! 😀

U-Man
    Participant

Out-of-the-box thinking is fine. While the vehicle doesn’t have to be the only subject, it should play an important role in the image. An incidental car at the side of an image isn’t in the spirit of the theme. The vehicles are important to a busy New York street with taxis and pedestrians and a newspaper flying through the air.

ennuipoet – If you think the streaks of light will say “vehicle” to the voters, go for it. If not…well then hold on to it for the streaks of light theme.

/and no. I don’t think there really is that theme…yet.

U-Man
    Participant

Do scale-models count?

Sure thing. Except you can’t put gorillas or dinosaurs on them.

/just kidding. you can. I just wanted to get Ranger Joe’s attention.

cameraflage
    Participant

Do scale-models count?

Well, crap, now I gotta use space shuttles and Jeeps again.

orionid
    Participant

I like where this is going already.

emiliogtz
    Participant

Do scale-models count?

There goes my objects-are-closer-than-they-appear Jeep Wrangler shot… =)

emiliogtz
    Participant

Do scale-models count?

There goes my objects-are-closer-than-they-appear Jeep Wrangler shot… =)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)
  • The topic ‘06-06-12 – Vehicles’ is closed to new replies.