06-09-10 – By the Numbers

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-09-10 – By the Numbers

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, Dad’s actual Quick Silver acct was deactivated when he passed, so you can’t even see it anymore.

soosh
    Participant

my host was down for a while tonight, too. I think there was something wonky going on at a high level.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Seems like technical difficulties were the theme of the theme. I, too, had problems: I was posting from a Mac. Seriously, how do people use those things? Stupid one button mouse.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Ravnostic: Just wanted to say I really liked your shots in this thread, I voted. The mailbox really (ah hah!) delivered!

/thank you, try the veal

ravnostic
    Participant

Ravnostic: Just wanted to say I really liked your shots in this thread, I voted. The mailbox really (ah hah!) delivered!

/thank you, try the veal

Thanks. There was a full-on version of the whole box set, but it was a bit large to provide the level of detail I wanted for the post. I decided a single box showed more character.

Vortex_Dweller
    Participant

Howdy Folks. I joined this party a little late. Rock N Roll. Now I’ve infected this group as well bwuhahahahahaa! 😀

SilverStag
    Participant

Yeah, Dad’s actual Quick Silver acct was deactivated when he passed, so you can’t even see it anymore.

You know, that’s kind of sad. There should be a way to memorialize people’s contributions, and we should be able to see stuff that folks left behind.

I really hate the thought that when I pass, people will start deconstructing and erasing the traces I’ve left online over the years. I’d say it sort of feels like grave-robbing, in a weird sort of way.

olavf
    Participant

Howdy Folks. I joined this party a little late. Rock N Roll. Now I’ve infected this group as well bwuhahahahahaa! 😀

haha just you wait. It’s actually the other way around, sucker 😉

Welcome aboard!

olavf
    Participant

You know, that’s kind of sad. There should be a way to memorialize people’s contributions, and we should be able to see stuff that folks left behind.

I really hate the thought that when I pass, people will start deconstructing and erasing the traces I’ve left online over the years. I’d say it sort of feels like grave-robbing, in a weird sort of way.

I try not to think about it too much, because what else will there be left of me? :/

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Welcome Vortex_Dweller, and I’m with olavf that it’s the other way around 😉

Well, it used to be SOP that those accounts were deactivated, though if you go into any of the Farktography threads he posted to, you’ll actually still see his posts; it’s the profile you can’t see if you click on his name. However, they recently started leaving the profiles up with a “Beyond Fark” tag to memorialize them. I kinda like that. pangolyn’s now says that. Dad’s didn’t get grandfathered in for some reason, though. Not sure if it was because it was so long ago or just a handful of people knew him on Fark or some combination. Regardless, as it stands now, your acct won’t just get deleted on Fark.

orionid
    Participant

If what you posted in the theme is an infection, I don’t wanna be healthy.

However, they recently started leaving the profiles up with a “Beyond Fark” tag to memorialize them. I kinda like that. pangolyn’s now says that.

I did not know that. Interesting.

I’ve always thought of time as a big piece of stone, exposed to the elements, where everyone has the ability to write their name. Some people use sticky notes that blow off in the wind almost immediately, some people use magic markers that last a few years, and some people break out the hammer and chisel and carve a little deeper. Some people, however, manage to shape an entire section of the stone into their name that will last for eons (Jesus, Alexander the Great, Hitler). In the end, though, given enough time, our names all become erroded away and we all become erased, short of an H.G. Wells “Stones that talk” concept. It does seem kind of depressing, but it really makes you think about being/doing the best you can in the current time, with the people that really matter – the people who will still see your name after you’re gone – that are in your life right now.

lokisbong
    Participant

Well said orionid. That pretty well says it the way I would if I was better at putting my thoughts into words.

justkat
    Participant

Well said, orionid. I tend to think of myself as trying to be the person giving out hand-massages while people work on getting their names just right. 😉 I’m no stone-cutter. 😉

justkat
    Participant

Nice subtle godwin, btw. 😛

Curious
    Participant

orionid i sent a link to this page to my sister since i thought she might enjoy your POV. this is what she had to say:

Well, those words of orionid are wonderful! Nice image and great message. I am, of course, reminded of the Buddhist truth that there is only this present moment. It’s that Sanskrit poem: “Yesterday is but a dream and tomorrow is only a vision, but today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this day. Such is the salutation of the dawn.” Same message at the heart of the Lord’s prayer: “Give us this day our daily bread.” Present moment, present moment. So often easier said than done, but it is also true that if we take good care of the people close to us, the goodness we do with them is legacy enough.

hope you don’t mind my sharing outside the group.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • The topic ‘06-09-10 – By the Numbers’ is closed to new replies.