06-09-10 – By the Numbers

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-09-10 – By the Numbers

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to orionid this week!

lokisbong
    Participant

No doubt. Congrats orionid.

olavf
    Participant

Congrats 🙂

orionid
    Participant

Nice subtle godwin, btw. 😛

I actually had to look that up, so it was quite unintentional.

hope you don’t mind my sharing outside the group.

Not at all. It actually makes me feel a little good/proud/whatever that someone would want to share one of my thoughts.

Congrats orionid.

Thanks, all. I was actually a bit worried there at the end. I was stuck on duty watching the late-night saturday voters fall into Elsinore‘s boobies trap going “End the contest! End the contest!” We were tied at 32 when I finally went to bed at 2-ish.

I guess now I can also admit that that was the photo that made me suggest the theme. Right after I took it, I thought “I really like that. I need to suggest a theme that I can use it in, or else I’ll never get an opportunity to post it.” Then about 2/3 of the way up (right where it gets really steep), it hit me.

view from the top
    The same crater head as seen from a nearby beach The left edge is pretty much the profile of the climbing slope.
    This angle shows why the “shallower sloped” eastern edge is not the preferred climb. The edge of the crater rim is between 8 and 12 inches the whole way, minus a few areas where it drops to two or three.

/Gets off the “I could talk about Hawaii all day” soapbox.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Oh funny..I didn’t realize we were tied 😆 I’d been busy till nearly midnight or whenever I finally got a chance to “call” it (not that that does anything to close the thread), and I thought you’d gotten it by that point.

ravnostic
    Participant

Congrats Or (and if you climbed that mountain, you deserve the win for your efforts.) Elsinore, exactly what or when does ‘call’ the end of the voting?

lokisbong
    Participant

when I commented here Orionid was still 1 point up. I guess congrats to you also Elsinore.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

ravnostic: I “call” the thread (usually around 8 or 9pm, but sometimes I’m later depending on RL stuff going on) Saturday night, because most votes have rolled in by then, but my calling it is mostly ceremonial as it doesn’t close the thread. Fark closes the thread at a random time, usually sometime between Saturday night and early Sunday afternoon. Long ago, veruca did this, then we got out of the habit, I guess partly because the vote totals can still change after it’s “called,” so sometimes the places can change, especially if it’s been a close contest.

lokisbong: Orionid was up 1 or 2 points when I “called” it, too, but apparently at some point we were tied, then got another couple votes and finished ahead, so it’s still his win 🙂

ravnostic
    Participant

Regardless, I guess, some awesome pics for a difficult contest. Though I placed 10th, I’m proud of my efforts to get even that far, considering the competition. Monumental will be even tougher (their ain’t much ITWO monuments in Az, I searched archives for one, found serendipity in another, and haven’t decided on the third.)

BTW, my aunt (who actually gets paid for this photo stuff) tells me the next gen DSLR’s will be auto-equipped with HDR built in, to replicate whta the eye sees, rather than the camera–it’ll be automatic. I don’t know the details, but if this is so, the game will be raised to a whole new level (for those who can afford it.)

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • The topic ‘06-09-10 – By the Numbers’ is closed to new replies.