06-15-11 – In Deep Shadow

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-15-11 – In Deep Shadow

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

I think the emphasis is supposed to be on the play of light and shadow across the subject. In that photo, the subject is pretty well lit even if the background isn’t. But I’m still wrapping my mind around this one, so I could be wrong.

Yeah, for this contest I’m taking it as the absence of light that’s supposed to be the most striking feature.

Exactly! The composition should be about the shadows, not the light. If that makes any sense.

Thanks that makes more sense to me.

ennuipoet
    Participant

We might want to add some info about the shadows and play of shadows/light to the theme description to help clarify what you’re going for with it.

This will need some roughing out from the crowd, but something along the lines of:

“Photos with strong light and shadows, think film noir and chiaroscuro. Black and white is not mandatory”.

It’s my first theme so I may not be describing it well. I know that a lot of people are going to chiaroscuro and think “What the hell?” but that is really what I am thinking about here.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I think the emphasis is supposed to be on the play of light and shadow across the subject. In that photo, the subject is pretty well lit even if the background isn’t. But I’m still wrapping my mind around this one, so I could be wrong.

That was my thought too. Just getting a bit of clarification.

Curious
    Participant

looks like i’m dragging out the scanner for a couple of mine. got some old b/w that would be perfect. well i think so, once again we shall what the voters think.

ravnostic
    Participant

So, looking through the archives I’m wondering if shots like these are along the lines of what the theme is about. I kinda think so, but just checking before I tape my cat to the floor in a more posed setting.

//IIRC, my ‘Crying’ image from “The Song Remains the Same” is in the ballpark?

ennuipoet
    Participant

Rav, those are exactly what I am talking about.

ravnostic
    Participant

Oh-righty then! I have others from each of these that I think might play better; except Blert’s; I really would need to tape him to the floor…but I thought it was so cool how he ‘stopped’ the sunbeam (bigger is of course better, in this instance.)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

See now I would have thought the second one was along the lines of the theme but the first and third don’t really demonstrate that same kind of deep shadow do they?

Kestrana
    Participant

My thoughts were more akin to Elsinore‘s so maybe I’m being overly tough on it.

ennuipoet
    Participant

See now I would have thought the second one was along the lines of the theme but the first and third don’t really demonstrate that same kind of deep shadow do they?

I know what I had in mind when I proposed the theme, but that is hard to translate to the canvas of Fark. So, for my 2cents, a photo with clear elements centering on the interplay of light and shadow qualifies. Rav’s third photo is the least pertinent to the theme, but the first two are good, the second is dead on the money.

The harder the criteria the less the participation, the more difficult to moderate is my motto.

ravnostic
    Participant

I actually thought #3 was kinda ‘not’ themish; threw it in for evaluation purposes.

As for the other two, this may be where or why b/w seems more effective for this type of photography.

The cat pic is easy enough to convert to b/w; in the other session, I started early in color, but actually switched to b/w so I can’t directly flip it; but I have a not-so-perfect comparable shot.

Non of these images are really what I’m working with for the contest (close, though), but I’m trying to see what kind of boundaries we’re working in. FWIW, I have to agree with ennuipoet on the criteria/participation comment.

b/w also allows a bit more liberty in contrast refinements, IMO.

U-Man
    Participant

We’re all getting to the same page. Rav’s #2 is spot-on. #1 in color is OK and when switched to b&w with more contrast definitely works. I wouldn’t vote for #3 because it doesn’t fit the spirit of the theme well enough.

Browsing through my image host…do these fit?
    http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/L_6988.jpg
    http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Low-Key_6991a.jpg
    http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Ems_5526.jpg
    http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Now-I-lay-Me-Down-To-Sleep_0241-R.jpg (I have to re-do this one with different technique. I like it but it’s not quite there…)
    http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Related_9471a.jpg (too light?)

ravnostic
    Participant

Ems_5526 seems PERFECT to me. Please say that’s something like what we’re going for here.

Kestrana
    Participant

The wiki article + a variety of photo blogs give some good examples and definitions of Chiaroscuro for anyone still questioning their entries.

ennuipoet
    Participant

So here is the basic gist: My idea was photographs with a strong, single direction light source illuminating specific areas of the subject while leaving the remainder in deep shadows.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennuipoet/5428168758/

U-Man all of them fit within my broad parameters of the theme but 6991a, 5526 and 9471a are most consistent with what I envisioned.

Again, I believe in broad interpretation of a theme to permit maximum participation and easiest moderation. So any photograph with strong elements of light and shadow fits in my book.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 133 total)
  • The topic ‘06-15-11 – In Deep Shadow’ is closed to new replies.