06-15-11 – In Deep Shadow

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-15-11 – In Deep Shadow

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Photographs with strong contrast between light and dark, may be of any subject.

Theme suggestion kudos to ennuipoet–thanks!

Kestrana
    Participant

I have no idea what I’m going to do for this

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Me neither–thankfully we have some time!

Plamadude30k
    Participant

I can’t wait for this one. I have one pic I took as soon as I voted for this theme that I love, but getting more is going to be difficult.

olavf
    Participant

I’m going to have to come up with something different than the low key stuff I’ve been doing lately…or maybe not 😉

clouddancer
    Participant

Silhouettes? Might try to get me some (never done them)

Kestrana
    Participant

I’ve got plenty of silhouettes but I guess I’m more unclear on what exactly is a valid entry for this theme. I’ll have to research.

ravnostic
    Participant

In the original theme thread, there’s a link to an article that explains the light staging, or the conditions that promote the effect naturally (golden hour, etc). I have oodles of ideas, and a chestful of archives–I do a lot of sunrise and sunset timed photography, which usually fit the bill, even if I didn’t know it at the time I took the shots.

Kestrana
    Participant

Yeah I read the article but I didn’t find it definitive. Especially the portraiture, much of it didn’t look too different from average studio portraiture or low key lighting to me. Maybe what I’m thinking of as low key is pretty much the same thing.

ennuipoet
    Participant

These are the kinds of things I was thinking about:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4DGbC4uKJ9I/SkY5-n2yGuI/AAAAAAAAJFQ/tihv0EGkpvw/S660/chiaroscuro+Light_at_the_end_of_the_Tunnel.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennuipoet/5428177740/

This is NOT a black and white contest, though obviously B&W works extremely well. Basically, it is open to your imagination, but stuff like this is Right Out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennuipoet/5603696368/

nobigdeal
    Participant

Hows about something like this?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think the emphasis is supposed to be on the play of light and shadow across the subject. In that photo, the subject is pretty well lit even if the background isn’t. But I’m still wrapping my mind around this one, so I could be wrong.

Farktographer
    Participant

I think the emphasis is supposed to be on the play of light and shadow across the subject. In that photo, the subject is pretty well lit even if the background isn’t. But I’m still wrapping my mind around this one, so I could be wrong.

Yeah, for this contest I’m taking it as the absence of light that’s supposed to be the most striking feature.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Yeah, for this contest I’m taking it as the absence of light that’s supposed to be the most striking feature.

Exactly! The composition should be about the shadows, not the light. If that makes any sense.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

We might want to add some info about the shadows and play of shadows/light to the theme description to help clarify what you’re going for with it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 133 total)
  • The topic ‘06-15-11 – In Deep Shadow’ is closed to new replies.