06-15-11 – In Deep Shadow

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-15-11 – In Deep Shadow

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    Plamadude30k
    Participant

NOTICE: You do not need to read this post, I just need to vent about my crappy internet.

AAAAAAAAAARRRRGH. I knew I was going to be late posting today because of the hockey game, but when I finally got around to posting and saw that the thread was still on the first page I was really excited. Now my internet has decided to suck so hard that it takes 5 minutes to load fark-suddenly, and concurrently with me trying to post, resulting in me being on page two. I know it’s not too big of a deal, but I do recall seeing some stats that photos on page one usually do better than photos elsewhere.

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

U-Man
    Participant

Hey, BTW, where’s the ofaming-at-the-mouth emoticon? WTF?

I picked the sticking tongue out as the closest to it.

Elsinore, I’m pretty sure my two brooding girls are fresh. If one turns up as a scarlet R, I have other choices.

orionid
    Participant

There’s a lot of really dark imagery this week. It’s almost like the theme style lends itself to that. Weird.

I almost went with a mother-daughter shot but it was too bright and happy for the theme. 🙂
    At first, quick look, I foresee your interrogation doing well. It’s good.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Related_9471a.jpg

I like that mother/daughter shot, and technically, it’s a great photo, but yeah…. compared to your other choices, it doesn’t really evoke any strong feelings.

That doll, though…. creepy. And darn you for getting your color-cast shot in before mine. I knew I should have posted it before the projected word. 😀

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Elsinore, I’m pretty sure my two brooding girls are fresh. If one turns up as a scarlet R, I have other choices.

No, I think you’re ok.

andyofne
    Participant

I hope no one is relying on flickr tonight… I can’t even get the site to load reliably tonight.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I hope no one is relying on flickr tonight… I can’t even get the site to load reliably tonight.

I haven’t had any problems. Not seeing any dropped entries in the thread currently, but if anyone finds something of theirs gone, please let me or Farkback know so it can be restored.

andyofne
    Participant

Well, it’s odd. I keep getting “server hangup” when I try to navigate around their site. I can occasionally get a page to load but probably every 10th or 12th attempt.

It’s not browser specific and I’m not having any trouble anywhere else at the moment.

Anyway, no submission from me this week!!

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Weird, andyofne, I seem to be able to get through just fine. Did you have entries you were planning on submitting?

Kestrana
    Participant

Although the statistics do show that getting a pg 1 post has a boost in voting, it’s marginal. There are certainly plenty of examples where a pg. 2+ photo has done well or won including off the top of my head, my entry for Take a Seat and cretinbob‘s gnarled tree.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Scarlet R: Silverstag’s elephant tusks shot was used in Black.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Thanks, CISS

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Scarlet R: Momzilla59’s entry was originally posted in Dark And Forbidding

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Got it, thanks 🙂

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

So, uh, Els, while manually putting together the previous Scarlet R’s, I had an idea, and I think you might like it… 😉

My thought was that since what I was doing manually could easily be integrated into my stats scraper while it’s making thumbnails of all the entries, and as I previously mentioned I’ve already modified the stats scraper to be able to auto-post, why not combine the two features? And so I did.

The stats scraper now automatically checks for reposts and will autopost a Scarlet R Report to the Fark Farktography forum (link #7). All you’ve got to do now is watch that forum. The post will be under the username “StatsScraper” and will look something like this:

Scarlet R Report

Momzilla59 previously posted this entry in the Dark And Forbidding contest.

There may be multiple entries in one report. The scraper scans every 15 minutes, so however many R’s there are during that time period will get reported together.

Enjoy! (And you can make my MM a double. :))

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Um wow, my mind has just been blown. Can I make your MM a quad before I ask you to modify its behavior? 😉

Typically conversations in forums like the TF Forum, PSAEF, and (now) Farktography Forum aren’t constrained a whole lot, and you’ll find people mentioning each other even if they haven’t been in a particular forum in days, weeks, or months. In regular Fark threads, they don’t like you “calling out” people who haven’t already posted in the thread/aren’t participating in it. Now that Fark emails you when you’re mentioned in threads, it’s kind of like “paging” people, which can be more or less annoying, depending on the person. On the one hand, it could be handy that the person gets a notification about their Scarlet R before it gets deleted, but on the other hand, it also has this appearance of being an official Fark thing, and it also has potential for embarrassment factor that they get “called out” for their repeat entries on Fark. Soooo, as much as I love the autoposted Scarlet R, can we keep that auto-posted just here? Or even just email me? I hate to even ask, but I do have to balance out the rules and needs of Fark along with our little corner of it.

/could just make it a fifth…

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 133 total)
  • The topic ‘06-15-11 – In Deep Shadow’ is closed to new replies.