06-15-11 – In Deep Shadow

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-15-11 – In Deep Shadow

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

I have an ethics question. For the most part, I don’t use Topaz Adjust for Farktography shots, because, while stylish, the results are often too garish for good taste, and some of the topaz functions skirt dangerously close to tonemapping. But. A photo I’m considering for this week is making question using that as a hard, fast self-rule.

The version I originally uploaded to Flickr I had decided looked best with a mild application of Topaz Adjust for sharpening/detail enhancement, at which point Kestrana says “You can’t use that, it’s been Topazed.” So, I went back and tried again using PS’s sharpening tools. To get the same level of detail, I think PS looks alot more software-ized than the Topaz. So do I go with what’s generally accepted, or the one that I think looks better?

Topaz: http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionid/5823284958/in/photostream
    PS Only: http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionid/5826113330/in/photostream/
    Cropped as shot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionid/5825594365/in/photostream/

clouddancer
    Participant
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

orionid, I agree that the topaz’d version looks more “natural.” Because of that and the fact that you could likely get close to the same result in PS if you tweaked it until you found the just the right combination, I’d be OK with you using it.

clouddancer, I think I have my monitor brightness turned down (because I’ve had trouble seeing really low-lit things in photos that others have posted here), but almost all that I see is the light itself, a quite small bit of tree & post, and the rest is almost all black. Given that there are likely other voters out there with the same issue, it may not do well. As for whether it conforms to the rules or not, I can’t answer that one as I’m still a bit unsure myself, despite all of the explanations that have been given. Assuming I make this one, I’m counting on ennuipoet‘s promise of leniency. 😉

U-Man
    Participant

orionid, in my experience, there is a spectrum of opinion among farktographers regarding this topic. As I’m sure you have seen, I fall to the lenient post-processing-is-part-of-the-artistic-expression side of the spectrum. Others, like curious I believe, are toward the straight-out-of-camera-is-the-artistic-challenge side. In my opinion, neither is ‘right’ or ‘wrong’. It only becomes an ethical question if someone crosses the boundaries of fair-play that we all use to have a relatively level playing field. The rules are here –

http://farktography.net/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=8&cm=3&cb=31

I don’t see anything there that precludes the use of post-processing such as Topaz – unless the results are cartoonish.

That’s my 2 cents. I’m interested to know how close my opinion is to the middle.

linguine
    Participant

I’ve never used topaz adjust so I’m trying to remember it from the last time it came up. If I remember right part of the problem with it was that it didn’t apply evenly across the entire image and would work differently in different localized sections(or something like that). So I guess Im wondering does the sharpening work across the entire image similar to how photoshop’s sharpening works?

orionid
    Participant

I’ve never used topaz adjust so I’m trying to remember it from the last time it came up. If I remember right part of the problem with it was that it didn’t apply evenly across the entire image and would work differently in different localized sections(or something like that). So I guess Im wondering does the sharpening work across the entire image similar to how photoshop’s sharpening works?

It can go either way. It has four sections: Exposure, Detail, Color, and Noise. Noise and Detail are always applied evenly across the whole photo, whereas Exposure and Color can have anywhere from 1-50 logical regions. If you set this at 1, it will apply even across the whole image. If you set it at anything else, it will select that many regions based on photo content (looking for edges, transitions, etc. Even if you have multiple regions, some settings are still universal. Only “adaptive” settings are individually evaluated by region.

Example, If I loaded a photo and said 5 exposure regions, then set adaptive exposure to 0.75 (from 0-1) and left everything else at a default, then each region would be adjusted so that regions exposure is raised by 75% of the available histogram (Thus making darker areas receive more of a boost than lighter areas). Likewise if I set it at 0.25, lighter areas would be prone to darken while shadows stayed the same. If Adaptive exposure were set to 0.5 (no adjustment), and I started tweaking the other settings under exposure (Contrast, Brightness, Highlight and Shadow), those will all be equally applied.

Where it gets hairy with Details vs. Sharpen is in one additional ability. For the most part, The details portion is a highly-sophisticated sharpen tool, but has an additional option to integrate details with exposure. All this does is identify edges, and adjust the local exposure along the edge so that the lighter side gets a few values lighter and transitions back to it’s normal self, and the darker side gets a few values darker and transitions back to it’s normal self. It’s not terribly unlike the “Clarity” function in Adobe RAW, it just has the ability to interact with/be limited to the detail specifications, making it much more powerful than either “Clarity” or “sharpen” by themselves.

I personally try not to use it with Farktography because, as discussed previously (although, I don’t remember the thread), was that it could be abused with the regional slicing of exposure and/or color, and produce effects similar to tonemapping, while not being a true HDR. I’ve just considered it to be easier to just not use it, rather than consistently use it in mild application, and have to defend why it’s not “Too software-y”

Curious
    Participant

i did some googling and found Another benefit of using this technique is that it is legal under most of the post-processing rules of web-based photography contest sites such as DPChallenge. and while U-Man is right that i’m not a fan of post processing it appears to be legal.

and frankly helps the photo IMO.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Frankly, I think the “cropped as shot” version looks the most natural and is the strongest image of the three. Both the Topaz and PS version look overprocessed to me with the Topaz version being more universally “crunchy” and the PS version almost cartoonishly contrasty. I’m really not a fan of allowing Topaz for Farktography, especially if its edits are applied unevenly across the image. There have been a number of photos I’ve had that I thought were really improved with a color duotone filter, but I’ve refrained from doing that for Farktography because the filter is applied unevenly. That said, when we did the last rules rewrite, the specific mention that “changes must be made globally” was dropped to allow for minor retouching. Still, the notion of keeping changes in the realm of the realistic is still there, and I think Topaz begins to run afoul of the spirit of the rules and contest, if not the entire letter of it. On the three options for “Gas Mask” (which is a seriously amazing image), I think you could take your “Cropped as shot” version and apply a bit of unsharp mask with smaller radius to make it pop just a bit and still be within the spirit of things (not sure the PS equivalent, but in GIMP, I’d do a .3 or .4 radius with .4 or so amount and 0 threshold).

orionid
    Participant

I have yet to figure out unsharp mask. The more I play with it, the less I understand it, and the worse my photos look.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I had to play with it a long time to find a combination that worked. I never touch the threshold slider, only the radius and amount. And on a Fark sized image, you really don’t need much of either to get a good result.

sleeping
    Participant

I’m really not a fan of allowing Topaz for Farktography, especially if its edits are applied unevenly across the image. There have been a number of photos I’ve had that I thought were really improved with a color duotone filter, but I’ve refrained from doing that for Farktography because the filter is applied unevenly.

I always assumed “evenly across the image” meant that you were applying a filter to the image as a whole, without masking etc. If you’re interpreting that to mean “applying the same value to each pixel in the image”, that would actually rule out just about every post processing tool in existence. Curves, unsharp mask, highlight recovery – all of them are using a algorithms of varying complexity to select parts of the image to apply a change to, e.g. unsharp mask is looking for high-contrast edges and boosting their contrast. If there isn’t an edge, it isn’t affected…

Topaz is using much more complicated algorithms to determine where and how to apply changes, but I’m not sure it’s really a difference of type rather than degree compared to the normal PS filters.

orionid
    Participant

Opinion please?

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r69/clouddancer19/Project%20365/IMG_0711.jpg

Thanks.

I kind of have to echo CISS. I love love love dark, saturated images, and my monitor at work, being one of those too dark to view dark photos, but still passable for internet and MS Office, have shown me more than once a dark black rectangle that was my farktography entry for the week. I like to think it’s an extreme case, but I imagine not. As such, I’ll get a photo the way I like it, then lighten it just a bit.

This being said, your photo looks waaaay to dark even on my good monitor. I see a lamp, a pole and some silhouetted trees. I think a longer exposure and WB tweaking would have done this shot wonders.

/Just MHO.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m really not a fan of allowing Topaz for Farktography, especially if its edits are applied unevenly across the image. There have been a number of photos I’ve had that I thought were really improved with a color duotone filter, but I’ve refrained from doing that for Farktography because the filter is applied unevenly.

I always assumed “evenly across the image” meant that you were applying a filter to the image as a whole, without masking etc. If you’re interpreting that to mean “applying the same value to each pixel in the image”, that would actually rule out just about every post processing tool in existence. Curves, unsharp mask, highlight recovery – all of them are using a algorithms of varying complexity to select parts of the image to apply a change to, e.g. unsharp mask is looking for high-contrast edges and boosting their contrast. If there isn’t an edge, it isn’t affected….

No, I meant more masking, not each pixel. The duotone filter I have creates a mask with varying levels of transparency and a color overlay based on said mask.

Edited to add: On the other hand, there are tools that apply globally, like the Hue/Saturation/Lightness tool in GIMP that could be used legally, e.g. to boost global saturation, but could also be used in a way I’d consider illegal, like shifting all the green pixels to red.

ravnostic
    Participant

I’ll echo Elsinore’s earlier comment on the orionid shot. I don’t see why you’d be messing much with the image to begin with. But that’s just me.

For Clouddancer I agree with the others, though I’m in Colorado visiting my aunt, who’s in two gallery showings that I wanted to be able to see, so I can’t view on my newer better monitor.

I can say that it appears we all have some differences of opinion on what this theme is about, and I’m glad there will be a nice tolerance for how each of us will interpret the theme. 😀 I think I may have gotten one entry while I was casually taking snapshots around her home, but maybe not. I forgot my CF card reader and it takes forever to download a few images from the camera directly.

ps; 1 edit. Any reason the command doesn’t work here?

ennuipoet
    Participant

Opinion please?

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r69/clouddancer19/Project%20365/IMG_0711.jpg

Thanks.

I go with the others, it goes beyond shadows into full darkness. I won’t say “absolutely not” but it is more of a night shot than a shadow shot.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 133 total)
  • The topic ‘06-15-11 – In Deep Shadow’ is closed to new replies.