06-17-09 – Give ’em an Inch

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-17-09 – Give ’em an Inch

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Curious
    Participant

i had another caliper shot i liked but it didn’t pop like the one entered. and i had a volt reading instead of the temp but decided the temp was unusual so might do better. we shall see.

as usual there are some good shots of odd stuff and some good shots of plain stuff. lots of creative shots tonight.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

swampa: what sparkly thing did you use behind your measuring cups to give all that awesome bokeh?

swampa
    Participant

Some fabric I found with reflective silver dots all over it (can be seen on the chair here). So much fun to play with 😀

corsec67
    Participant

I wonder how many other people are going to post their wangs against a ruler.

I think I have the worst one.

justkat
    Participant

if people knew how good that tomato tasted maybe they’d give it more votes. or maybe they just don’t know that 10.5 inch tall tomato plants aren’t supposed to be putting out 4 oz ripe tomatos at all, much less in june. lmao. what? tomatos don’t grow in bins in the produce section all year round?

orionid
    Participant

It’s a terrible shame that I can’t take cameras anywhere near work. That old PS’d image of a “1954 futuristic home computer” is actually a declassified-for-Smithsonian-use-but-otherwise-nearly-identical submarine Reactor Plant Control Panel. (and the steam and electric plants on either side). Well, minus the TV screen, printer, and creepy old dude. I can’t even begin to tell you how many hours I’ve spent slee….. staring at it. I can tell you that the letter “J” does not appear anywhere on it, the Letter “A” appears exactly 286 times, there are 142 incandescant lightbulbs, and, according to the lable plate data, the one with serial number 22 weighs exactly 2270 pounds.

/Homer
    //The big red button is actually a little black switch in the top left corner

justkat
    Participant

//The big red button is actually a little black switch in the top left corner

you mean it’s not a shiny candy-like button? 😉

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to U-Man this week!

U-Man
    Participant

Thanks. And congrats to Elsinore this week as well. 🙂

BOOBIES

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Yes yes! Congrats to Elsinore and U-Man indeed. It’s about time you crazy kids win something around here.

justkat
    Participant

congrats you guys, but holy cow, this was a stat killer! did all the voters get killed or go on vacation or get thrown in jail? (it’s fark, last item most likely of the lot… 😛 )

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Elsinore, my first photo timestamped 2009-06-17 10:50:18 PM, is showing up as a text link at the moment. I assume that means the hosting site returned an error at some point. But it’s working now, so can you re-enable it? I don’t expect to get any more votes at this point, but I would like the photo to appear in the contest thread when people pull it up.

Thanks in advance!

Curious
    Participant

congrats you guys, but holy cow, this was a stat killer! did all the voters get killed or go on vacation or get thrown in jail? (it’s fark, last item most likely of the lot… 😛 )

there was a time when my shots resonated with the voters but that time has faded into antiquity. due in no small part to stiff competition and my shots lacking a certain artistic flair.

while looking at my profile at the FSM it also becomes apparent that total votes cast can make a huge difference in where you place. my only win has one less vote than a shot that finished 5th in another contest.

or maybe that’s what you were saying.

in any case as someone who has fallen from the top ten finishers and went almost two years before snagging another second place …….. well i’m just trying to brag here about getting another second place 🙂

what i’m really saying is F the stats. they’re nice and it’s great that schnee is good enough to maintain the FSM but having a place to regularly show off your photos and a weekly challenge is what this is all about. and i think from your comments elsewhere that you know that. plus there is the bonus of having an excuse to upgrade your camera/lens to better get that winning shot. because it’s all about the stats, right?

corsec67
    Participant

there was a time when my shots resonated with the voters but that time has faded into antiquity. due in no small part to stiff competition and my shots lacking a certain artistic flair.

while looking at my profile at the FSM it also becomes apparent that total votes cast can make a huge difference in where you place. my only win has one less vote than a shot that finished 5th in another contest.

or maybe that’s what you were saying.

in any case as someone who has fallen from the top ten finishers and went almost two years before snagging another second place …….. well i’m just trying to brag here about getting another second place 🙂

what i’m really saying is F the stats. they’re nice and it’s great that schnee is good enough to maintain the FSM but having a place to regularly show off your photos and a weekly challenge is what this is all about. and i think from your comments elsewhere that you know that. plus there is the bonus of having an excuse to upgrade your camera/lens to better get that winning shot. because it’s all about the stats, right?

Yeah, I have some of the same feeling here.
    Looking at the FSM histogram it is pretty obvious that I have ended my slow upward trend.

Looking at my entires that got a top-10 finish, I can see that they are just better than most of the rest of my pictures.

If only I could see/decide that before the contest, and not in retrospect.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Thanks, guys 🙂

Elsinore, my first photo timestamped 2009-06-17 10:50:18 PM, is showing up as a text link at the moment. I assume that means the hosting site returned an error at some point. But it’s working now, so can you re-enable it? I don’t expect to get any more votes at this point, but I would like the photo to appear in the contest thread when people pull it up.

Thanks in advance!

Just checked the thread and it’s showing up now, so you should be good.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)
  • The topic ‘06-17-09 – Give ’em an Inch’ is closed to new replies.