06-17-09 – Give ’em an Inch

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-17-09 – Give ’em an Inch

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Photograph instruments of measurement.

Theme suggestion kudos (and another contender for short-and-sweet description) go to bucky_bacon.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

and another contender for short-and-sweet description

I figured that you have a lot to type around here already. 😉

corsec67
    Participant

Oooh, thermometers would be included….

I have the perfect shot in mind:
    Take my Galileo Thermometer when it is above 28 degrees in the room, so that all of the balls are on the bottom. The caption would be “The temperature in my room was off the sale”.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Hrm… fwiw I had a galileo thermometer too. Apparently it was a pretty cool idea 🙁

thepostess
    Participant

LOL–Galileo Thermometer here too.

Curious
    Participant

i brought my calipers home from work today but have no clear idea how to shoot them.

bucky_bacon how much of a manifold gauge set is needed to qualify as an “instrument of measurement”? the whole thing? one gauge? is R12 better than 134a?

does a volt/ohm meter have to have a reading on it? how about a clamp around meter?

guess i have enough things to get three shots out of this at least. 🙂

olavf
    Participant

lol curious I’m still trying to figure out how I’m going to take a shot through a reticule 😛

bucky_bacon
    Participant

@ curious

I’m really not too picky. I’m typically more of a “I trust your judgment and let the voters decide” kinda guy. Any one part of something or of a set is fine.

To me, instrumentation should show markings (or possibly a digital readout) to indicate different levels of whatever it is measuring. YMMV and I certainly won’t say that it’s required. I can see where a gauge would be set to one “size” and that is fine. You’re the one that has to make a good photograph out of it.

That’s the point of all this right? To come up with some nice photos? So no worries about being too nit-picky on my end. Although I suppose if any theme was going to get too “technical” it would be this one!

/hope that helps

corsec67
    Participant

To me, instrumentation should show markings (or possibly a digital readout) to indicate different levels of whatever it is measuring. YMMV and I certainly won’t say that it’s required. I can see where a gauge would be set to one “size” and that is fine. You’re the one that has to make a good photograph out of it.

There are instruments of measurement that don’t have a readout at all.

A surveying chain is a chain that is 66 feet long, and you use that to mark out areas in multiples of 66 feet. Similar is the chain/marker thing used for American Football.

The feelers for gapping a spark plug would be a another thing, where the object is a certain thickness that is used to measure the gap.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Yes. All of those are great examples and would certainly apply. Markings or readouts are by no means required. I was struggling with my words at 5:30 that morning.

orionid
    Participant

I didn’t get a chance to get out shooting this week. And some last minute snaps of my dashboard are less than spectacular, so I’ll be sitting out again. I’ll be back next week, though, lens-a-blazing!

bucky_bacon
    Participant

I didn’t get a chance to get out shooting this week. And some last minute snaps of my dashboard are less than spectacular, so I’ll be sitting out again. I’ll be back next week, though, lens-a-blazing!

Well I (among many others I’m sure) will be looking forward to that. Thanks for popping in though. I never got around to getting the couple of things that I had in mind when I suggested this theme so I ran around at the last minute myself.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I hear ya!
    This is the best shot I could get bouncing an Acura 3.2 TL off the rev limiter.

U-Man
    Participant

Great minds think alike. Apparently, yours, NoBigs and mine thing alike as well. 🙂

Took this one on a open stretch this past Sunday. After getting home I had the idea to try it at night and hit 103 mph for my 103rd contest. Then I pictured a terrible accident or an uncomfortable conversation with a state trooper…so I chickened out…for now.

staplermofo
    Participant

I wonder how many other people are going to post their wangs against a ruler.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • The topic ‘06-17-09 – Give ’em an Inch’ is closed to new replies.