06-18-08 – Museum of Found Objects

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-18-08 – Museum of Found Objects

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    HagarTheHorrible
    Participant

That’s pretty much it….someone lost it – you found it. C’mon, people lose stuff every day. Walk next to any road and you’ll find a hubcap, a shoe, a glove. On the train or subway you may find a hat or umbrella.

My (so far unphotographed) collection includes work gloves, two ?5 notes, two of those ball pump attachment thingies, a number of ballpoint pens, and some other stuff.

As Elsinore said, there’s no way to enforce it, but have some fun.

I think some confusion might arise out of the fact that the traditional definition of “found object” in art is a bit broader and less literal than you are giving in this case. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Found_art for more explanation.

I only mention it as this will be the first entry of mine that I’m actually shooting specifically for, rather than pulling from past work, and I’d like to make sure that I’m sticking to the spirit of the theme.

Killerclaw
    Participant

Im shooting stuff as I found it. Not touching.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Im shooting stuff as I found it. Not touching.

So you aren’t doing this part

Set them up in a museum-like way,

?

I only mention it as this will be the first entry of mine that I’m actually shooting specifically for, rather than pulling from past work, and I’d like to make sure that I’m sticking to the spirit of the theme.

I think you’re fine 🙂

Killerclaw
    Participant

wait, we have to make a composition with them?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That’s what the theme description says:

Every day we find stuff – lost gloves, that single shoe, a shiny bolt, an umbrella, etc.

Set them up in a museum-like way, and let’s see the flotsam of society in all its glory. Difficulty: No people.

corsec67
    Participant

I was thinking I wouldn’t have anything interesting at all to post this week.
    Then I realized that I could grab some stuff from the abandoned mine next door:
    flickr page

Cans, bottles, metal cable ladders, barrels, mattresses, and more….

I am assuming that would be fine for this contest, assuming I put them in my macro booth with a label.

Uranus
    Participant

Then I realized that I could grab some stuff from the abandoned mine next door:

Cans, bottles, metal cable ladders, barrels, mattresses, and more….

I am assuming that would be fine for this contest, assuming I put them in my macro booth with a label.

more abandoned than lost, but I’m intrigued ! Fire away!

corsec67
    Participant

more abandoned than lost, but I’m intrigued ! Fire away!

Hmm, abandoned, right.

Is this the kind of thing that you are looking for?

flickr page

As of right now, all 3 of my entries are from that mine.

anneb
    Participant

The next question is, do I have to set up a display, when a perfectly good display in situ was already provided by someone else?

Example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/annebphoto/2338500148/

Granted, I, the finder, was not the curator who exhibited the item in such a prominent, accessible way. Presumably, the curator did not so much ‘find’ the object, per se, unlike myself. I’m just not sure that if I had brought this home, I could do nearly the justice in display as the curator has done.

Meanwhile, off to clear some exhibition space in the house!

Uranus
    Participant

The next question is, do I have to set up a display…..

yup, that’s the general idea. see corsec‘s shot above….

Morningbreath
    Participant

we don’t have to label it in the photo though, do we?

Killerclaw
    Participant

I found a new creepy baby. Weird, but I did.

U-Man
    Participant

I found a new creepy baby. Weird, but I did.

I’m happy for you. I know how much it means. 🙂

/actually kinda serious.

U-Man
    Participant

Then I realized that I could grab some stuff from the abandoned mine next door.

Waaaa! Not fair! I want an abandonded mine too! 🙁

I have nothing photographed (yet) for this theme. I spent all of my photo time this weekend doing head-swap photoshops for a graduation dinner powerpoint thing. I actually had a lot of fun doing it but I’m sort of bummed about the lack of real photography.

staplermofo
    Participant

I have been in more dumpsters than I want to think about trying to find some staplers. People just don’t throw them out, and I don’t know if I should be happy or sad about that.

The closest I’ve come so far is a maybe 1970s Ace Pilot 404 I got when I used to work at Roosevelt University because the brilliant folks there couldn’t figure out how to load it. It had been in a box under the microfiche viewers for as long as anyone could remember.
    That doesn’t really fit the theme, I don’t think. So, more dumpsters it is.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • The topic ‘06-18-08 – Museum of Found Objects’ is closed to new replies.