06-27-12 – Birds 2: Boid Watching

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-27-12 – Birds 2: Boid Watching

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    beakgeek
    Participant

Don’t feel bad guys. I got a total of 4 votes on my images. I guess I should just throw in the towel and never shoot bird image again? NOT! 😆

lokisbong
    Participant

Well I guess I should just not take pictures of Birds for Farktography anymore. Definitely not feeling any love for my shots this week. Did I really suck that bad with all three?( you can be honest it won’t hurt my feelings anymore than having my pictures completely being ignored.) I expect to wear out my thumb again this week. So at least my pics will have 2 votes each. lol

Honestly, bird photos where the bird does not make up the majority of the image don’t have a lot of visual impact. Your shots are more landscapes that happen to have birds in them rather than portraits of birds. If that makes any sense.

Yeah that makes sense. I just cant seem to get much closer than that around here and cropping enough to make the bird the main thing made the picture tiny. Basically I need a better zoom lens than the EFS 55-250 1:4-5.6 I currently have.

Edited twice for punctuation.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Yeah that makes sense. I just cant seem to get much closer than that around here and cropping enough to make the bird the main thing made the picture tiny. Basically I need a better zoom lens than the EFS 55-250 1:4 5.6 I currently have.

Edited for punctuation.

To do “serious” birding, one needs at least a 300mm on a APS-C, 400mm on FF, an extender doesn’t hurt either. Naturally, the five thousand plus dollars for such lenses tend make that a little…ah, daunting.

All of my entries were shot on my 70-200 f4L, but I cheated: I went to shows and zoos where I could get up close and personal with the birds. I enjoy photographing birds, it’s challenging and the results can be stellar, but the whole endeavor is far out of my price range I couldn’t see it with the Hubble.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Yeah that makes sense. I just cant seem to get much closer than that around here and cropping enough to make the bird the main thing made the picture tiny. Basically I need a better zoom lens than the EFS 55-250 1:4 5.6 I currently have.

Edited for punctuation.

To do “serious” birding, one needs at least a 300mm on a APS-C, 400mm on FF, an extender doesn’t hurt either. Naturally, the five thousand plus dollars for such lenses tend make that a little…ah, daunting.

All of my entries were shot on my 70-200 f4L, but I cheated: I went to shows and zoos where I could get up close and personal with the birds. I enjoy photographing birds, it’s challenging and the results can be stellar, but the whole endeavor is far out of my price range I couldn’t see it with the Hubble.

2 of mine are zoo shots and the hummie was taken out of the window in my camper.

ravnostic
    Participant

Seriously? //I gotta start looking at extenders for my lens; I’m at 480mm equiv APC, and if I could just bump that up to 960…no coffee that day….need a steady hand from on far.

Siriusly? //I gotta start looking at wide angle-close lenses; I’m at 24mm equiv APC, and if I could just bump that down to 12…I’ll need coffee that day; need quick reflexes from up close.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Seriously? //I gotta start looking at extenders for my lens; I’m at 480mm equiv APC, and if I could just bump that up to 960…no coffee that day….need a steady hand from on far.

Siriusly? //I gotta start looking at wide angle-close lenses; I’m at 24mm equiv APC, and if I could just bump that down to 12…I’ll need coffee that day; need quick reflexes from up close.

You guys are all wrong. I do all my work with an SE 11? rock pick. M. C., haven?t you watched Shawshank Redemtion? That guy hammered through a prison with an SE 11. Sure it took a few years, but anything you really love doing you?ll be doing for years. Just because something is newer, doesn?t make it better

bender16v
    Participant

That seems to be true from what I have seen. Remember, teleconverters don’t work with many of Nikon’s lenses and you lose 1-2 stops when using one which causes you to lose auto focus on cheaper lenses. I’ve been looking at upgrading but it would be about $3k for a 70-200 f2.8 + teleconverter, which wouldn’t gain much as far as range goes. The Nikon 300 f4 isn’t insanely expensive but it lacks VR. Another option would be the Bigma, but that’s not cheap either. It would really get some range on my crop sensor though.

Alternatively I could just work on being more stealthy and getting closer, but in many cases that’s not possible.

ennuipoet
    Participant

That seems to be true from what I have seen. Remember, teleconverters don’t work with many of Nikon’s lenses and you lose 1-2 stops when using one which causes you to lose auto focus on cheaper lenses. I’ve been looking at upgrading but it would be about $3k for a 70-200 f2.8 + teleconverter, which wouldn’t gain much as far as range goes. The Nikon 300 f4 isn’t insanely expensive but it lacks VR. Another option would be the Bigma, but that’s not cheap either. It would really get some range on my crop sensor though.

Alternatively I could just work on being more stealthy and getting closer, but in many cases that’s not possible.

For Fellow Canonites, the 2X EF is only five hundred, full autofocus and metering. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/732111-USA/Canon_4410B002_Extender_EF_2X_III.html

Not bad considering at all compared the 400mm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/239654-USA/Canon_7034A002_Telephoto_EF_400mm_f_4_0.html

at seven grand

of the 600mm
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/754508-REG/Canon_5125B002_EF_600mm_f_4L_IS.html
    clocking in at 13 grand!

Barracuda
    Participant

My Green Heron shot was taken with a Canon 55-250 f4-5.6, but I stalked him around the pond for about 5 mins to get one or two decent shots (bout 7 total taken). And I cropped in on that shot some as well, still think 2400px is less than 100%, but not by too much. I did take the 300mm f4.5 Nikon and doubler out with my XSi as well back to the same pond, of course I’m now looking at a stop less with the doubler, and manual zoom on vintage glass, but that does really bring you in close.

Example of the 300 + doubler:
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-s-Wa5ChZzjo/T-dX4RIe5eI/AAAAAAAAHvo/AXJ8WWoI8Mo/s1600/IMG_5049.jpg
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-VNiUJWwF7zE/T-dhklXFFJI/AAAAAAAAHus/uT3a2eDJLFY/s1600/IMG_5085.jpg

250mm, minimal to no crop:
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-E2svIf2TVZs/T-c10FmYgOI/AAAAAAAAHso/mCb1AX-I0LI/s1600/IMG_5031.jpg

fluffybunny
    Participant

It really depends I guess on what kind of Boid shooting you’re going to do. I am in love with my Sigma 100-300 F4 (got it new for $700, they are discontinued and becoming hard to find), but that under the bridge shot of Cliff Swallows was really pushing it. There was plenty of full afternoon sun coming in from the sides and I was still shooting at ISO 1600 to get shutter speed high enough.

I can afford f4 long glass, f2.8 long,.. well maybe I’ll hit that lottery some day.

Uranus
    Participant

ha! shows how much I know… all my shots were taken with a slow, clunky Sigma 300mm. Cost all of 190 bucks out of the box. I’m OK with the results. I’m also pretty sure I’ll never get the value back from spending more than a grand on a lens – I am not, nor am I ever likely to be, that good.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I wasn’t able to do the thread wrap up due to Fark’s server move, but I’ve posted the usual messages in the Fark Farktography Forum. It was a great thread, and looks like voting and participation were up nicely 🙂 Congrats to IncorrigibleKitty this week!

Yoyo
    Participant

For Fellow Canonites, the 2X EF is only five hundred, full autofocus and metering. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/732111-USA/Canon_4410B002_Extender_EF_2X_III.html

Not bad considering at all compared the 400mm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/239654-USA/Canon_7034A002_Telephoto_EF_400mm_f_4_0.html

at seven grand

of the 600mm
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/754508-REG/Canon_5125B002_EF_600mm_f_4L_IS.html
    clocking in at 13 grand!

I have to warn people that the Canon 1.4x and 2x extenders don’t work with all lenses since they have protrusions on their front ends. “White lenses only,” is the simple advice I was told. And in the above comparison, an extender w/ the 400 f/4 would bring it to 560mm f/5.6 or 800mm f/8. You get what you pay for.

IncorrigibleKitty
    Participant

Wow, my first win! Thanks for the votes everyone. There were so many beautiful entries.

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • The topic ‘06-27-12 – Birds 2: Boid Watching’ is closed to new replies.