06-27-12 – Birds 2: Boid Watching

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-27-12 – Birds 2: Boid Watching

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Barracuda
    Participant

and Green Heron get my vote, Barracuda (bastid…now I wantz a green heron!).

Just got back from the park again, saw the green heron again, but no additional shots of him. you and your comment over on G+ about big glass made me wonder what I could get with the 300mm + doubler, so now I’m sorting through another 50 frames or so. Nothing really great, the herons were all deep in the bush finding shade, in fact pretty much everything was finding shade being that it was noon and 95 degrees out. A few of a couple of a chineese goose, but not much else.

Yugoboy
    Participant

He suggested he hasn’t seen any rule about an OBO and timing when poster is TF and absent Farktographer is not. Clarification would be welcome so we make sure not to irritate anyone or violate any rules we aren’t aware of.

I can’t see a reason why this would break any Fark rules, we are talking a few hours not days. (As would be the case in a Photoshop thread) If it were something done every week someone might complain, but for one offs like this no big whoop.

It’s been done before for me and no one complained. I think you’re good.

Thanx y’all. I’m sending this from a library near where we are staying. Not only isn’t there internet where we’re staying, my wife can’t even make a call on her iPhone. It’s not completely out of civilization, but it’s close.

We’re actively talking about moving here 😉

caradoc
    Participant

Not only isn’t there internet where we’re staying, my wife can’t even make a call on her iPhone.

It’s not completely out of civilization, but it’s close.

Mutually contradictory statements.

bender16v
    Participant

Back in the ADK? 😀 I do miss living there. And yes, it is remote. Take lots of photos and be safe.

orionid
    Participant

Back in the ADK? 😀 I do miss living there. And yes, it is remote. Take lots of photos and be safe.

The only thing I miss from new york is my friends.

Uranus
    Participant

I LOVE photographing birds….too may Bees this week, and doubts about the ones that didn’t make the cut…favourite heron shots – binned (probably way too much competition); hornbill, binned (didn’t know if I’d used it) *sigh*

bender16v
    Participant

I hear you Uranus. I’ve spent ten times more time on this contest than any other and finally have chosen my three entries and am left with 17 bees. I probably spend 70% of my time photographing birds and am always learning. I looked back at photos I took last year and can’t believe how crappy they are, so hopefully I’m learning something by doing it so much.

Great, now I’m second guessing my choices again!

ravnostic
    Participant

I’ve only in the past year gotten to the point where I’m happy with some of my bird images. Due to a lack of variety where I’ve frequented for them I’ll have a blue heron as one of my three, and no predatory birds (which I fear are the ones that will get the most votes; my one osprey just isn’t quite clear enough for my tastes). I do have a cute one of a stilt with it’s chick that I hope does okay, though.

caradoc
    Participant

I’ve only in the past year gotten to the point where I’m happy with some of my bird images. Due to a lack of variety where I’ve frequented for them I’ll have a blue heron as one of my three, and no predatory birds (which I fear are the ones that will get the most votes; my one osprey just isn’t quite clear enough for my tastes). I do have a cute one of a stilt with it’s chick that I hope does okay, though.

If you’re looking for more blue herons or more predatory birds, you really need to come hang with me on a few excursions…

Birds just ain’t my thing – I do shoot them occasionally, but they’re not what I really go looking for most of the time.

ravnostic
    Participant

I do need to go shooting with you caradoc It’s funny that in two year’s time here we haven’t yet even met in person! There’s 50+ people I’ve known for far less time on G+ that I’ve already gone shooting with.

//bring on the monsoon season!!

geom_00
    Participant

I need some advice from you guys.

I feel that I am decent in the department of TAKING the pictures.

In the area of post processing however, I am as lost as a Farker at a health food convention.

I tried to do some modifications on this picture: http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae353/jpw173/Farktography/P6232624.jpg (Yes, that bird IS alive)

Here is the result of the processing. I worked only on the saturation, color, hue, and brightness/contrast:http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae353/jpw173/Farktography/BetterFalcom.jpg

Am I doing this right, or should I see if I can find a class on image processing?

Thanks!!

Uranus
    Participant

sorry, geom…beyond putting on a border and bumping the contrast, I can’t help…some of the PS gurus might be more use. I tried to learn it, but my head popped after a few hours, and I guess I’ll just have to take my pictures better rather than make them better…

U-Man
    Participant

Making my choices caused me chest pain. “Oooooo, I could use THAT one too!”

Can we increase the limit for this theme to, say, about 50 entries?

geom_00
    Participant

Making my choices caused me chest pain. “Oooooo, I could use THAT one too!”

Can we increase the limit for this theme to, say, about 50 entries?

Even if we bumped up the entries to 50, that would only be about HALF my bees.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Am I doing this right, or should I see if I can find a class on image processing?

Thanks!!

So much depends on what program you are using to Post. (Personally, I cannot recommend Adobe Lightroom enough, it is powerful, non-destructive and not hideously expensive.) The Sat bump in the second image, IMHO was a bit much, a subtle increase in contrast would serve better to make the colors pop, the pink tones of the lighting take away from the overall effect. (Also you can play with your White Balance if you shot in RAW.

What you do in post is largely as process of personal preference and experimentation. Sink the money into Lightroom or a comparable program and just play with the settings until you see what you like, the original image is unchanged.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)
  • The topic ‘06-27-12 – Birds 2: Boid Watching’ is closed to new replies.