07-01-09 – In Memoriam: Thar Be Dragons

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-01-09 – In Memoriam: Thar Be Dragons

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

We pay tribute this week to Pangolyn, whose geeky obsession was dragons–the bigger and meaner, the better. Photograph dragons of any and all sorts.

This theme was a collaborative effort and suggestion by the Farktography community in memory of Pangolyn.

clouddancer
    Participant

I didn’t know Pangolyn, but I do like dragons. I also don’t want to do anything to dishonor her or anything, which is why I’m going to ask my question. We don’t have any dragons in the house, but I have a couple of ideas. My first idea was with my son’s blocks. He has letter blocks and I was thinking of spelling out dragon or something like that. Maybe one has a dragon on it, I would not know as I have not looked at them in a while. Secondly, I do have Legos and was thinking about trying to build a Lego dragon, but I’m really not sure how well that would turn out, though I do have an budding engineer in the house who could possibly help. It’d likely be a white dragon as those are what I have most of.

I know this one is about paying tribute and if my ideas would not do so, then I won’t, but they’re all I have right now so I thought I’d ask before I just did.

Edited to add: Also, would a dragonfly count? We have a mechanical flying dragonfly that I think would be cool, but if that’s too much of a stretch I’d understand too.

orionid
    Participant

Pangolyn was all about thinking outside the box, the letter blocks would be right up her alley. And she loved her legos! http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=4399455&tt=voteresults&startid=51259471.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Thinking outside the box is what makes farktography so great. Just when I think I have figured out all the variations of a theme someone comes with with something totally off the wall.

U-Man
    Participant

I thought my 11-year-old daughter would eventually grow out of her dragonophilia. Seems she might not. That’s kinda cool, too.

From “Collections” – http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Dragons_3516.jpg

orionid
    Participant

I thought my 11-year-old daughter would eventually grow out of her dragonophilia. Seems she might not. That’s kinda cool, too.

From “Collections” – http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Dragons_3516.jpg

Yeah….. Your girl’s got a gifted pencil hand, too…. I remember showing that photo to Pangolyn when it came up. She gave an “ooooh” of approval.

I’m going to be back in VA this weekend for the memorial service, and I’m going to try to photograph some of Pangolyn’s artwork (and hope it’s not too much of an inside edge).

clouddancer
    Participant

Well, so far building a dragon out of legos isn’t as easy as I thought. I think I might just stick with the letter blocks. I’ve even tried a profile view, just building it 1 dimension to cast a shadow or something, but no such luck. How are you guys finding dragons to photograph?

Would a picture of books with dragons be okay or is that just taking a picture of a picture?

olavf
    Participant

personally, that’s kind of iffy. It really depends on how the pics turn out.

I’d probably shy away of pics of books, but that’s just me.

mopsy
    Participant

Well, so far building a dragon out of legos isn’t as easy as I thought. I think I might just stick with the letter blocks. I’ve even tried a profile view, just building it 1 dimension to cast a shadow or something, but no such luck. How are you guys finding dragons to photograph?

Would a picture of books with dragons be okay or is that just taking a picture of a picture?

If you could some how make that picture 3-dimensional by adding real rocks and live or silk plants, it may become more interesting. The dollar stores may have plastic models of dragons.

I called my 13 year old grandson last night and he’s boxing up any dragons that he has along with dragons his 11 year old brother has and I’m getting them this weekend. Dragons are big with the kids today, so check your relatives’ children or the neighborhood kids. Have fun. That’s what it is all about.

clouddancer
    Participant

I wasn’t too into the idea of the books either, but the series does have dragons. Hence my thought on it.

TBH, after I gave up the thought for a couple of hours, it popped into my head that I’m likely thinking too big and with too much detail. Maybe I was trying to use the blocks that are too big and I’m going to scale down and instead of making 1 bigger dragon, I’ll try some smaller ones and see how they turn out.

I’ve also had the thought of making one out of tin foil and spray painting it or making a stuffed dragon, but either one of those would likely take longer than the legos. Once their made the fun part will be taking the pictures anyway. I realized that probably in asking I was making one of those n00b-ish mistakes, sort of like asking for the secret recipe. Time to get my dork on and go have more fun with my legos (I found my lego horse last night). Maybe I’ll get my 3-year-old in on it with his legos too.

olavf
    Participant

now you’re thinking 😉 I’m probably going to grab some of my kid’s toys too since there’s not much around town here by way of dragons – unless you count one of the local HS sports teams.

setting up the shots and taking the pics is what it’s all about anyway. FWIW, for the recent macro contest I entertained myself for a couple of hours writing on grains of rice with a felt-tipped pen (literally). The pic I used of Just Kat (my wife) for this week was an off-shoot of four or five nights of standing out in the dark waiting for the moon to be in *just* the right place… over two months because you only get a few nights of full moon…

mopsy
    Participant

I realized that probably in asking I was making one of those n00b-ish mistakes, sort of like asking for the secret recipe.

You’ll be surprise to know that Farkers share a lot with each other. I’ve learned and am still learning just from reading the discussion threads. Don’t ever be concerned about asking a question. You will always get answers. Participants will even show a possible entry on the discussion thread and ask for opinions. And they get them. The more technical members have always treated my sometimes “dumb” questions with much respect.

staplermofo
    Participant

My plans fell apart when I realized that I’m not going to find a dead snake (or other reptile) whose neck would support a stapler, and there’s no way for me to hold a snake, a stapler, a lighter, a spray bottle of alcohol and take a picture all at once. And really, even if I could, it wouldn’t turn out.

corsec67
    Participant

I didn’t think I could get anything for this theme, but then I wandered down to the local castle, and asked if they had any dragons.

Ok, that sounds really cool. And they did have a few dragons.
    I also realized that the local castle I went to in Colorado had a dragon head for the smokestack.

olavf
    Participant

I struggled, but ended up with two, I think. Unless Smaug decends on the house tomorrow or something. We’ll see…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • The topic ‘07-01-09 – In Memoriam: Thar Be Dragons’ is closed to new replies.