Skip to toolbar

07-08-09 – Shiny, Shiny Metal

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-08-09 – Shiny, Shiny Metal

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Show us images of reflective metal surfaces/objects. Difficulty: no patina, dirt, rust/oxidation or other coatings that obscure the reflective qualities of the metal.

Thanks for the theme suggestion, Choc-Ful-A!

clouddancer
    Participant

I’m attempting to photograph something exceedingly shiny. My current question is this. I personally can see an engraving/logo on this objective. However, because of the shiny-ness and the reflectiveness, I can’t seem to take a picture of this and I’m reflected as well in this, albeit distorted. Any suggestions to get this to come out?

/yes, we polished this object.
    //it’s really purdy.

U-Man
    Participant

…looking around for a Chicago Bean pic. I know how much you guys love those….

corsec67
    Participant

I’m attempting to photograph something exceedingly shiny. My current question is this. I personally can see an engraving/logo on this objective. However, because of the shiny-ness and the reflectiveness, I can’t seem to take a picture of this and I’m reflected as well in this, albeit distorted. Any suggestions to get this to come out?

/yes, we polished this object.
    //it’s really purdy.

I had a similar issue for this picture of my stainless watch for “Instruments”, and I solved it by wrapping myself in a white sheet, with only my camera lens poking out. So that white blob on the bezel between 30 and 40 is my body.

I might take more pictures of that for this contest.

The mirrors they use in intersections here all seem to just be a curved piece of stainless, so I have plenty of potential subjects.

Claff
    Participant

Does shiny shiny painted metal count? I’ve got a black car that cleans up fairly nicely and on a partly cloudy day nicely reflects the afternoon sky. I think the only shiny unpainted metal I have on hand is an aftermarket muffler, and that doesn’t make for good pictures.

olavf
    Participant

Claff the idea is for the metal itself to be reflective, if not shiny. So painted, not so much, but if you’ve got something chrome, or polished aluminum…

Or,

justkat
    Participant

after feeling pretty dern uninspired by this contest (which has more to do with external life than the topic) i finally got the bug and got a couple of pix today. if something throws itself at me tomorrow, then fine. if not, two pix it is.

staplermofo
    Participant

after feeling pretty dern uninspired by this contest (which has more to do with external life than the topic) i finally got the bug and got a couple of pix today. if something throws itself at me tomorrow, then fine. if not, two pix it is.

I can virtually guarantee you have a stapler with shiny metal parts.

olavf
    Participant

I’m not so sure. I couldn’t find it on Sunday…

justkat
    Participant

I’m not so sure. I couldn’t find it on Sunday…

men. (the old stand-by)

or, and probably much more accurately:

i blame it on the children. 😉

stapler, my man, i wouldn’t dream of trying to out stapler-picture you. i shall look about for inspiration elsewhere. 😀

harpo
    Participant

I need a ruling – is something like this shiny and reflective enough? http://www.flickr.com/photos/25872347@N04/3702519284/sizes/o/

millera9
    Participant

I need a ruling – is something like this shiny and reflective enough? http://www.flickr.com/photos/25872347@N04/3702519284/sizes/o/

That’s painted, isn’t it?

thepostess
    Participant

It appears to be.

harpo
    Participant

Yeah – I guess that falls under “other coatings”. Off to the hardware store to see if I can find anything last-minute I guess 🙂

millera9
    Participant

Yeah – I guess that falls under “other coatings”. Off to the hardware store to see if I can find anything last-minute I guess 🙂

Hah, sorry to shoot you down amigo! Good luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.