07-14-10 – Black, White, & Grey All Over

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-14-10 – Black, White, & Grey All Over

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

The part about saturation is just that I don’t want someone taking a color photo of say, a scarlet macaw and sucking all the saturation out of it and thinking that’s the point of the theme. You can do it if it’s reasonable like any other contest.

Okay, then I think I’ll be fine. I limited saturation reduction to 50% and am very happy with results–but not sayin’ I’ll use these for certain (I have other choices).

I gotta run to church but I’ll check out your pics later.

the one with the clouds isn’t impressive as sent; I’ll pm you the full resulution version–it’s really a greatly detailed shot (imo).

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah I’m wondering if we need to amend the theme description to either emphasize the “that could be mistaken” bit and either remove or tone down the “vast majority of your picture” piece. This one’s gonna be kinda tough to police as it is, but the “pictures that could be mistaken” I think is more clear than how the “vast majority of your picture” opens it up.

U-Man
    Participant

Yeah I’m wondering if we need to amend the theme description to either emphasize the “that could be mistaken” bit and either remove or tone down the “vast majority of your picture” piece. This one’s gonna be kinda tough to police as it is, but the “pictures that could be mistaken” I think is more clear than how the “vast majority of your picture” opens it up.

If that’s what is intended (and I think it is, too) then I think the wording should be changed. Actually, we could just get rid of the last part and leave it as “could be mistaken”.

Again, if that’s what we want. I’m cool with a “vast majority” idea as well. That could be a pseudo-color-pop thing. Hey! Maybe that is a new theme idea…

Gotta go back to work. Damn patients. 🙂

Kestrana
    Participant

Just make it “Color pictures that could be mistaken for black and white” as the theme description then. I think that’s clear enough.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I read the theme as “could be mistaken for b&w” and went form there, so I think I’ve got some shots. That being said it’s a challenging theme, in a good way.

Kestrana
    Participant

Yours are fine ravnostic

ravnostic
    Participant

Yours are fine ravnostic

Yeay! And I probably won’t use any of them. I went to ASU the other week (with my Argus cameras), and one intent was to shoot for this contest. I wasn’t happy with the results, thinking I couldn’t do ANY saturation control. Now that I know I can, I have 20+ pictures to choose from*, for only 2 spots (as one previous is a ‘gimme’.)

First I don’t think I can–then I got too much to choose from; damned if I do/n’t!! 😆

On a side but related note, I find it increasingly hard to choose pics when also contemplating future (or possible future) contests; like this one:

I tweeked the color temp to 10K and pulled out 50% of the blue–and that’s it. But with ‘a,e,i,o,u…y’ in mind, I might want to save it for later (or to get around that, go back and grab another shot…).

sigh. These contests are why I work on 4 hours rest and sleep away my entire 1 day breaks.

*not one from the argus, though; I’d use the shots I took to compare with the Argus shots

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Just make it “Color pictures that could be mistaken for black and white” as the theme description then. I think that’s clear enough.

‘kay I took the other part out. I did add a note that the photos should not merely be desaturated in post-processing; trying to capture what you were saying with that. If that doesn’t work or if you’d prefer it worded another way, let me know!

ravnostic
    Participant

‘kay I took the other part out. I did add a note that the photos should not merely be desaturated in post-processing; trying to capture what you were saying with that. If that doesn’t work or if you’d prefer it worded another way, let me know!

Tempted to amend that to something like “hues across the image should be consistently monochromatic”.

We all have different monitors and such, so I’m sure (I mentioned before) that there will be a lot of color variations when comparing one image to the next in the contest; I’m thinking ‘monochromatic’ gets across the idea that an off-color in a sea of elsewise monochromism isn’t what Kestrana is looking for.

Kestrana
    Participant

Well the original idea I had about this contest stems from the fact that I really like silhouettes, and the easiest time to photograph them rampantly is dusk, or in Washington state (lolz). So I wound up with lots of pictures that were shot in color but the colors in the picture were all shades of grey (hence my original title on the thread). I wanted a contest where I could showcase them. The declamation “i.e. the vast majority of your picture should be black, white or gray” was me trying to say “hey if there’s a hint of blue, a dash of orange, a brownish edge, that’s ok, but it would be something that shows up under closer examination of the picture. Your first impression is that its black and white and grey”. orionid‘s beach with the mossy rock is a great example of that. Another way to think about it is it’s a color theme but you’re only allowed to have black, white and grey in your picture. Hopefully this will answer any outstanding questions about the theme.

QueenBee
    Participant
    linguine
    Participant

Which of these would fit the theme?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/guine/4442086264/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/guine/4340600399/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/guine/4207953438/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/guine/3301755478/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/guine/2229462861/
    When this theme was originally suggested I had some picture that I thought would be perfect for this, and of course I can’t remember anything about it now other than being fairly certain that none of these is it.

Kestrana
    Participant

Queenbee yes that’s fine

linguine your #4 & #5 picture I think are more blue than gray, the others are pretty much ok.

LeicaLens
    Participant

I’ve been out snapping like a snappy thing for this one, ‘specially as I missed last week’s.
    Very challenging, but surprisingly good fun. I have been helped by the rainy season weather here: we have had nowt but grey skies for weeks, or at least that’s how it feels.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

The part about saturation is just that I don’t want someone taking a color photo of say, a scarlet macaw and sucking all the saturation out of it and thinking that’s the point of the theme. You can do it if it’s reasonable like any other contest.

Okay, then I think I’ll be fine. I limited saturation reduction to 50% and am very happy with results–but not sayin’ I’ll use these for certain (I have other choices).

In my mind, desaturating by 50%, either across the entire photo or on a single color channel isn’t really “limited” saturation reduction.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 153 total)
  • The topic ‘07-14-10 – Black, White, & Grey All Over’ is closed to new replies.