07-14-10 – Black, White, & Grey All Over

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-14-10 – Black, White, & Grey All Over

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    LeicaLens
    Participant

I had a few to choose from this week, so here’s few B-sides. My last entry I was really torn on.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49526249@N02/4795529708/in/photostream/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/49526249@N02/4795604434/in/photostream/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/49526249@N02/4794896753/in/photostream/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/49526249@N02/4795529262/in/photostream/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/49526249@N02/4794897423/

With the above links, I wasn’t sure that the second to last one fitted the theme, so I left it out. The last one is somewhat abstract, and I made the fatal error of trying to pick the random splurge that is farktography voting.
    Anyway, in the end I went for something different.

(edited to make last link work)

olavf
    Participant

The last one wouldn’t load for me, but I love the water drops (to be honest, I don’t know what you used in theme, because I haven’t, and rarely, get a chance at looking at the thread in detail on contest day)

This was my B-side, other than an idea I had that I didn’t get a chance to try

http://65.78.140.207/TF/farktography/100714.blk-wht-gry/wwii-4841_sm_web.JPG

Didn’t pick it because it felt a bit too much like a ‘picture of a picture’ for contest use. I may try a print next round though, ’cause I like the textures.

LeicaLens
    Participant

Thanks, olavf! Now I wish I had posted that water-drop photo…
    I also edited the pervious post, so the link should load now.

The “Picture of a picture” issue is a rather tricky issue, isn’t it. Very effective monument, though.

SilverStag
    Participant

Now that it’s waaay to late, perhaps a better name for this theme might have been “Subdued Color”. It was difficult, but provided some interesting entries. I’m enjoying watching them drop into the contest.

ravnostic
    Participant

Ouch! My moon has to go up agains Soosh’s! I’m doooooooooomed! (Not that I don’t think mine is good; but I mean, really–it’s Soosh!)

Kestrana
    Participant

NoBigDeal wrote:
    orionid wrote:
    tricycle motors

I can totally see you building souped up toys for your kids!

Kestrana: “Honey, where is the motor from the washing machine?”

Orionid: “Ummm….”

Rrrrrooooooaaaarrrr….

*kid flies by at 60mph on flamed tricycle*

Oh yeah. Definitely. I can see that too.

Of course, said kid would come out of the womb with a camera in hand. Hopefully it’d be a P&S. A DSLR could be downright uncomfortable.

You guys crack me up.

Of course depending on the lens that comes with that DSLR it might be worth the uh, extra effort…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

The only problem with “subdued color” is defining what “subdued” really is, which could be…challenging. On the other hand, we’ve had a number of actual black and white shots submitted despite the theme saying “color photos”

orionid
    Participant

Oh sure, the ol’ double entendre thing is good, too. And going out of your way to kiss in front of the kids when you know they think it’s gross. Good times.

That’s the tactic my parents used… At least until I learned that a bottle of peach schnapps meant “Go play downstairs.”

tricycle motors

I can totally see you building souped up toys for your kids!

Kestrana: “Honey, where is the motor from the washing machine?”

Orionid: “Ummm….”

Rrrrrooooooaaaarrrr….

*kid flies by at 60mph on flamed tricycle*

Oh yeah. Definitely. I can see that too.

Oh, no…. I have much better plans in store along those lines.

Kestrana
    Participant

*blink*

*shrug* Just be prepared you might have to paint it pink

caradoc
    Participant

The only problem with “subdued color” is defining what “subdued” really is, which could be…challenging. On the other hand, we’ve had a number of actual black and white shots submitted despite the theme saying “color photos”

And a couple that look very much like selective desaturation.

orionid
    Participant

*blink*

*shrug* Just be prepared you might have to paint it pink

I’m okay with that.

ravnostic
    Participant

And a couple that look very much like selective desaturation.

I don’t envy the mod’s job. I’m not even sure I want to vote yet (other than my own, of course 🙂 ) as I don’t know what’s ‘real’ and what’s not.

justkat
    Participant

I guess I’m glad that all my pix are now doing (sucking?) equally… last night my favorite, the one I really liked for the contest, didn’t even have a vote. *sigh* There are times when you really get paranoid and start taking it personally. 😛

disclaimer: user gets paranoid at the drop of a hat 😉

U-Man
    Participant

What’s the matter with hats? Why would you drop one? You don’t like my hat? You don’t like me when I wear a hat? Whatever. Harrummpff.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Sorry I’m just now getting back to the thread–been a busy morning and afternoon for me. I cleared out some more off-theme stuff, but I’m sure there’s some other stuff toeing the line.

As for selective desaturation, there’s really only so much I can do; if I can’t determine beyond a shadow of a doubt that someone broke a rule (like using HDR stuff, an obviously stitched panorama, or someone flat out said they shot something on b/w film for this one or submitted something where all the values are clearly grayscale) I can’t really delete it since I have no proof. It’s hard enough toeing a line on what could or could not pass for b/w, though it really should be more obvious than it seems to be 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 153 total)
  • The topic ‘07-14-10 – Black, White, & Grey All Over’ is closed to new replies.