07-14-10 – Black, White, & Grey All Over

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-14-10 – Black, White, & Grey All Over

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

I think for the most part voting is reflecting the intent of the theme anyway. Sorry I suggested such an annoying theme guys 🙁

caradoc
    Participant

Annoying is good. Forces us to stretch a bit.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I really like the theme, and I really figured it would be more “obvious” to people than it seems to be. But sometimes it seems like the simplest things turn into something much more complicated than it should otherwise be 😆

sleeping
    Participant

Maybe a different name if we do it again? People sometimes react to them without reading the description I think….

ravnostic
    Participant

Sorry I’m just now getting back to the thread–been a busy morning and afternoon for me. I cleared out some more off-theme stuff, but I’m sure there’s some other stuff toeing the line.

As for selective desaturation, there’s really only so much I can do; if I can’t determine beyond a shadow of a doubt that someone broke a rule (like using HDR stuff, an obviously stitched panorama, or someone flat out said they shot something on b/w film for this one or submitted something where all the values are clearly grayscale) I can’t really delete it since I have no proof. It’s hard enough toeing a line on what could or could not pass for b/w, though it really should be more obvious than it seems to be 😛

Don’t the fancy programs like Photoshop have some sort of ‘there are x number of unique colors/hues in this image’ choice? The closest I have to ‘fancy’ is Irfanview, and even with the moon shots I take, if I cap the saturation 3 or 4 times I can see colors (which is a fun effect on occasion; Luna). It maxes at 255, but can be done more than once; I’ve read in the forum a value of 3000? Not that I’d have to be the one going through them all….(orig image resized, non-tweeked excepting color maxed 4 times)

It’s been a good theme, though. Taught me color is a hard thing not to photograph. And that I have no eye for colorless.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Of course depending on the lens that comes with that DSLR it might be worth the uh, extra effort…

For the right rig and lens, let’s say a 1D with a fast “L”, I will go through labor for it…and I’m a guy.

mopsy
    Participant

I think for the most part voting is reflecting the intent of the theme anyway. Sorry I suggested such an annoying theme guys 🙁

Oh no, I REALLY like it. B&W is great but for some reason I think this is even better. Sometimes B&W takes on a flat look, but these natural B&W have more depth.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Of course depending on the lens that comes with that DSLR it might be worth the uh, extra effort…

For the right rig and lens, let’s say a 1D with a fast “L”, I will go through labor for it…and I’m a guy.

THIS!!

Kestrana
    Participant

Well glad you are actually enjoying it. I also thought “color pictures that could be mistaken for b&w” was pretty self explanatory.

And ennuipoet and NoBigDeal, if the situation arises, I’ll call you :p

LeicaLens
    Participant

I really enjoyed this theme. In the end, I used two shots from my archives (the guy fishing in the river, and the mobile phone shot, which, upon reflection, I should have discarded), but I had a lot of fun taking shots for this week. It also made me look at the world in a new light. As rav said, colour is a hard thing NOT to photograph. It was amazing how colour would creep into photographs which, at first glance, looked completely grey, or black and white.

olavf
    Participant

Thanks, olavf! Now I wish I had posted that water-drop photo…
    I also edited the pervious post, so the link should load now.

The “Picture of a picture” issue is a rather tricky issue, isn’t it. Very effective monument, though.

Nice!

And yeah, tricky. I’m pretty sure that one would have been legit in this instance, because it’s an element of the picture and not the actual picture, but still.
    /though I kind wish I’d gone with it. The pillbug I used instead has something like four votes. Oh well.

And, kestrana, don’t sell yourself short. I like this contest. It’s kind of a headache because people don’t read the description, or look here, but that happens in every contest.

U-Man
    Participant

I agree with the others Kestrana – good theme. I also agree that maybe the name should change next time.

“Fake Black and White” ?

I wanted to do some incense smoke pics with black background for this one and ran out of time.

LeicaLens
    Participant

I am not a mod (thank goodness), but I would say the picture shot is OK, olavf because the picture (engraving?) isn’t the totality of the photograph.

I have to say, I really don’t envy the mods, this week especially.

Kestrana
    Participant

Well I called it “Shades of Grey” originally but I guess that had been used already.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

OK, time to let my geek flag fly, I guess. All this discussion of how to figure out the “grayness” of a picture got me to thinking last night, so I threw some code together to experiment with somehow quantifying grayness.

It’s too late for this contest, but U-Man, andyofne and others with forms of color blindness may find it useful for these types of themes. You could probably even use it to enforce some kind of quantitative theme rules, assuming you’d want to bother with running all the entries through it.

It’s a long post so I won’t overwhelm this thread with it, but if you’re interested I’ve posted it in the Software forum.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 153 total)
  • The topic ‘07-14-10 – Black, White, & Grey All Over’ is closed to new replies.