08-17-11 – Mmm Bokeh 2: Electric Bokehloo

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-17-11 – Mmm Bokeh 2: Electric Bokehloo

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    ennuipoet
    Participant

Could I get some opinions? I’m trying to decide between these two:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/lJziaj3ARVWUGwyhjBiZCQ?feat=directlink
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ohEkGv7mx8galmyH1QE3Yw?feat=directlink

I already have a flower photo, but I’m just not sure the portrait is bokehey enough. I’ll be traveling most of tomorrow…today…Tuesday (whatever it is), but I’ll be able to check in a couple times during the day. Posting on Wednesday is going to be interesting, since the contest will go live at 2PM local time. I’ve gotta figure out how to fit that in my schedule.

I would go with the first one as I expect this will be a very flower intensive week. NTTAWWT, but difference will be noticed.

orionid
    Participant

I just racked up 1163 outtakes and 51 maybes that will cull out maybe two keepers. This better damn well be worth it.

kashari
    Participant

I just racked up 1163 outtakes and 51 maybes that will cull out maybe two keepers. This better damn well be worth it.

😯 Holy crap! I better start looking through my stuff this afternoon, this will be a hard one.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

An addendum such as “Show your Bokeh/Shallow Depth of Field (Photos with clear foreground and blurry background)” PSAEF, why I do not know.

Why limited to clear foreground and blurry background? Why not the opposite?

And, asking again, what about bokeh created from a lens reversal macro? The technique I use creates a soft, dreamy blur, with incredibly shallow depth of field.

I don’t see why that would be a problem, though if it’s a shot like Rav’s with his antique lens that has uniform soft-focus, it may not have obvious bokeh (since everything’s uniformly blurry already), and it may not do well against other photos with more obvious sharpness to contrast with the blur.

In other news, how should we word any clarification about bokeh/blur/depth of field?

Kestrana
    Participant

Honestly not too concerned about it. If they’re reading the contest (which never happens anyway right) they can google something if they can’t figure out what’s going on.

ravnostic
    Participant

Heh. But I decided not to try to be funny this week, so I’ll share here instead (it’s not great bokeh anyway).

Headed for Divorce:

ravnostic
    Participant

I don’t think I’ll be using either of these, so may I use them to query on the technical aspects of bokeh to help me decide what I will use? Which is a better example, or are there merits to both (or *sigh* neither?)

kashari
    Participant

Honestly not too concerned about it. If they’re reading the contest (which never happens anyway right) they can google something if they can’t figure out what’s going on.

If you guys are talking about clarifying the description of the contest, I think a little bit more info would be helpful to voters and some of us submitters too. I doubt many of the non-photog voters will take time to go read up on what ‘bokeh’ is or how it relates to depth of field & the contest.

Rav, I’d also like to hear what others think, I’d lean towards the first, but am a bit confused too.

ennuipoet
    Participant

If you guys are talking about clarifying the description of the contest, I think a little bit more info would be helpful to voters and some of us submitters too. I doubt many of the non-photog voters will take time to go read up on what ‘bokeh’ is or how it relates to depth of field & the contest.

Rav, I’d also like to hear what others think, I’d lean towards the first, but am a bit confused too.

OK, how about: “Bokeh/Depth of Field is an object (or objects) in focus while the remainder of the image is pleasingly out of focus or blurry”

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well, technically, you don’t necessarily have to have something in focus to have bokeh 😉

Elsinore
    Keymaster

/Trying to make this as complicated as possible.
    //It’s working.

olavf
    Participant

How about ‘Bokeh: Here’s some pics and the Wikipedia article. YOU figure it out’.

😀

ravnostic
    Participant

*piffle*

//see ute’s on the flip side? 😛 😆 😉

it iz wud it iz…

…here’s hoping the voters don’t notice…

ennuipoet
    Participant

//It’s working.

HAH! Then I say we just post: “Bokeh: It’s Blurry Muthafarka!” 😛

orionid
    Participant

//It’s working.

HAH! Then I say we just post: “Bokeh: It’s Blurry Muthafarka!” 😛

Of course, blurry comes in many forms.

Carnival Bokeh by Orionid, on Flickr

/Not using this one.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 128 total)
  • The topic ‘08-17-11 – Mmm Bokeh 2: Electric Bokehloo’ is closed to new replies.