08-20-08 – Silhouettes

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-20-08 – Silhouettes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Backlit photos, photographs where the border, outer edges or overall shape of the subject(s) are the highlighted. Difficulty: shadows or reflections can’t be the primary focus of your photos.

justkat
    Participant

inadvertently took two very awesome pictures this morning that will work for this. They have the same subject, though, so I don’t know if I’ll use them both. But yay! 🙂

justkat
    Participant

well i think i just took another inadvertently… Keeping the card in a camera in case the damn bird comes back and sits somewhere more appropriate. There’s this pretty little bird that hates having its picture taken. Today the little bastard sat there while I picked up the camera, fumbled to notice it wasn’t on and then to notice and rectify the fact that the CF card wasn’t in it… As soon as I zoomed on him, he flew away. He knows, somehow…. heehee. Worse, he came back and it turns out that it was a no damn good place to get a good picture of him after all, except maybe for this contest. Got a few shots of him elsewhere in the yard — from a great distance, of course; this beastie is the exception to my animals-love-me-too-much problem — So maybe maybe maybe one of them will be good enough to actually show him to someone lol.

justkat
    Participant

here’s the little bastard in question — obviously not the pic for this contest. slightly blurry, dammit… =P

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

…text deleted…
    Today the little bastard sat there while I picked up the camera, fumbled to notice it wasn’t on and then to notice and rectify the fact that the CF card wasn’t in it… As soon as I zoomed on him, he flew away.
    …text deleted…

Something similar happened to me recently when I tried to take a picture of a hawk perched on a phone/power line. I drove past and noticed it was sitting perfectly still framed against a nice backdrop, ran some errands and drove back ~20 minutes later. When I saw the hawk hadn’t moved I stopped and did a U-turn where I could (about 1/2 mile further), drove back, parked across the street, got my camera out of the trunk, quickly took a couple shots with a telephoto lens (which I knew would be blurry since I had to zoom to 300mm from where I was), then setup my tripod. When I turned around I noticed the hawk had flown off and was nowhere to be found. So he sat still for over 25 minutes only to leave while my back was turned to setup a tripod. I have two blurry shots to prove it happened and an amusing story, but nothing else.

justkat
    Participant

…… So he sat still for over 25 minutes only to leave while my back was turned to setup a tripod. I have two blurry shots to prove it happened and an amusing story, but nothing else.

D’oh! Yep, just like that. contrary critters, ain’t they?

U-Man
    Participant

I haven’t had time to shoot much specifically for this theme. While I have one, maybe two, new pics, I was going over some old ones tonight. I have a decent shot but I used a similiar one in a different contest. Not at all trying to be pushy here, but does anybody have an idea when the FSM will be resuscitated? I’d like to check the one that I used so that I don’t duplicate.

/if Wed rolls around and the FSM is still gone I’ll just pick something else.
    //Hmmm. Maybe this is like the drug dealer thing. Initially, schnee gives us all the goodness for free. Then, when we’re hooked, when we can’t live without it, he puts on the squeeze.
    ///damn, I was going to include the link for FSM donations here. But I can’t get to the FSM. 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

schnee‘s estimated date of return is Tuesday the 19th, so hopefully he’ll have some time before the contest to get things rolling again, though he may very well be too exhausted from his travels to deal with it immediately. I’d definitely keep your options open on what to use in case the FSM isn’t up for Wednesday.

Killerclaw
    Participant

does this fit?

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

does this fit?
    …image deleted…

I works for me, but if anyone else feels strongly please speak up. The stage framework at the top isn’t back lit but I think the performer and audience dominate the photo, so I don’t think it matters.

Killerclaw
    Participant

does this fit?
    …image deleted…

I works for me, but if anyone else feels strongly please speak up. The stage framework at the top isn’t back lit but I think the performer and audience dominate the photo, so I don’t think it matters.

Some crop action maybe?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Either is fine by me

justkat
    Participant

my husband’s submissions are so going to kick mine’s asses… metaphorically speaking, of course. 😛 That’s okay, i kicked his butt in go with the flow. 😛

lokisbong
    Participant

Does this fit the theme.

and on another note do you think it is safe for fark.:wink: It’s a chainsaw carving.

U-Man
    Participant

It’s a chainsaw carving.

Doesn’t look anything like a chainsaw. 😛

/works for me. SFW too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 123 total)
  • The topic ‘08-20-08 – Silhouettes’ is closed to new replies.