08-20-08 – Silhouettes

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-20-08 – Silhouettes

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

It could be darker, but I think it’s fine. Definitely SFW

U-Man
    Participant

I know the difficulty states that shadows can’t be the main focus of the shot. I have a macro pic of an ant on the other side of a leaf backlit by the sun. It casts a nice silhoutte – but it’s a shadow. Acceptable or not?

Kinda like this one I used for Mmmm bokeh. http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Ant_2836a.jpg

I have others if this one is not OK.

lokisbong
    Participant

cool. It really was carved using a chainsaw though.and if it was with better light it might not be sfw. She’s got no clothes on as it were. 😀

lokisbong
    Participant

It could be darker, but I think it’s fine. Definitely SFW

The weather has been decidedly uncooperative lately.Back lit looks just about the same as front lit and I have nothing in my archive of pics that screams silouette.Other than some really grainy shots of geese.Even my cat Pain refuses to pose in the window when I’m paying attention.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I know the difficulty states that shadows can’t be the main focus of the shot. I have a macro pic of an ant on the other side of a leaf backlit by the sun. It casts a nice silhoutte – but it’s a shadow. Acceptable or not?

Kinda like this one I used for Mmmm bokeh. http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Ant_2836a.jpg

I have others if this one is not OK.

I’m going to defer to the real experts here, but since the tradition is for the person who suggested the theme to chime in when issues of clarification come up I’ll go ahead and post my opinion. Here goes… 🙂

Given the way that shot works I’m not sure I’d call the image on the leaf a shadow. It seems to me that the leaf is acting as a filter to blur the image of the ant’s body instead. If you define a shadow as the lack of reflected light caused by an object between the light source and the field reflecting the light, then you can’t really have a shadow when taking a photo where there’s a transparent object between the camera and the subject of the photo (meaning the ant). For instance, if the picture was of an ant on the far side of a sheet of rice paper, with the light source behind that, would it be a shadow? I think this is the same thing, so I think it’s not a shadow and therefore OK for the contest. Without multiple light sources I can’t see how you could see the actual ant and some different “shadow” of the ant when a shot is setup that way.

Again, that just the opinion of a slightly OCD computer nerd, so experts on photography please chime in if I’m smokin’ crack here…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

My jury is out. At first glance it strikes me as mostly shadow, but I’m trying to process through what Choc-Ful-A is suggesting about the ant behind rice paper with light source behind it. Don’t they call that the shadow box when they do that in clubs? 😉 It seems to me that while the shadow is being projected onto another surface, it’s still a shadow. I gotta think about this more; too early at the moment.

schnee
    Participant

/if Wed rolls around and the FSM is still gone I’ll just pick something else.

s/b back now. Austin had a power incident right after my departure and the FSM relies more on supplications and less on uninterrupted power supplies. Tricky has been processed and all is good-to-go for Silhouettes.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Awesome–thanks schnee!

sleeping
    Participant

For instance, if the picture was of an ant on the far side of a sheet of rice paper, with the light source behind that, would it be a shadow?

Um, you mean, like a shadow puppet? 😉

Flavivirus
    Participant

I think U-man’s picture would work… I mean, it’s exactly as described – a backlit photo where the border and overall shape of the object are highlit. I do not see how you can avoid taking a picture of a shadow when you’re backlit, but I think the point of the difficulty is that you can’t take a picture of your shadow cast on something. Like a picture of the shadow of a man in a door frame, as projected onto the floor. However, if the picture was from the floors perspective, of a backlit man standing at the door… then, that’s a silhouette.

Just my two cents. Avoiding shadows is kind of impossible for this line of contest 😛

SilverStag
    Participant

How about this?

caradoc
    Participant

Yea or nay?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

SilverStag: I think that’s ok

Caradoc: I’m torn. You have something in silhouette, but the clear subject of the photo is definitely not in silhouette.

caradoc
    Participant

I’d argue that what is clear is not necessarily the actual subject of the image… 😉

U-Man
    Participant

Is there something else other than the slender woman in that photo? I’ll have to check again.

/nope. didn’t notice anything else. 🙂

//kidding. she might need a sammich.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 123 total)
  • The topic ‘08-20-08 – Silhouettes’ is closed to new replies.