08-20-08 – Silhouettes

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-20-08 – Silhouettes

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    lokisbong
    Participant

In fact, I’m not going to ever point out any specific examples, but it’s rare that my favorites of any given contest are the crowd favorites, and there’s always something very popular that just doesn’t resonate with me at all.

Me too. Quite often my least favorite of my entries gets the most votes, and then my favorite sometimes gets less than 5 votes.

Exactly my deal also.My favorite is almost always the lowest vote getter for that week.

This week included.I thought the tree backlit by moon light would be the one people liked.Maybe I should start submitting the shots I don’t like.

wrayvynn
    Participant

I guess it just goes to show, you flat out never know what will catch the crowds eye. I frequently have the same frustration, no one seems to like the shots I like the most and vice versa, but then again, I’m weird.

lokisbong
    Participant

I guess it just goes to show, you flat out never know what will catch the crowds eye. I frequently have the same frustration, no one seems to like the shots I like the most and vice versa, but then again, I’m weird.

Maybe thats my problem. 😀

U-Man
    Participant

Thanks. I had a few others from that series I thought of using, but I did too much channel mixing with the colors to consider them, even with the new rules.

All three are fantastic! Road flares for each? I especially like the middle one.

U-Man
    Participant

Not nearly as much a cheap shot as cute children or kittens, I think…

You were expecting artistic taste?

Yeah kittens puppies and kids are cheap shots.

…U-Man seen slinking away with shoulders hunched, eyes darting back and forth… 🙂

Yeah, I’m guilty of the “kid pic” (and the occasional lack of artistic taste). But they’re THERE. Y’know? Just waiting to be photographed. Plus I just plain like to take those pics. The snapshot with something more to it than just a snapshot.

On a different note – There seemed to be an abundance of good photos this week. So many of them are just nice to look at. The top 20 is loaded with, ‘Oh yeah. That’s cool.”

wrayvynn
    Participant

lol, I’m not pointing fingers:P I’m just grumpin’ about my own shortcomings.

Maybe next week:)

soosh
    Participant

All three are fantastic! Road flares for each? I especially like the middle one.

Yeah, road flares have been a great find. Self-contained, put off a lot of metallic light, a bit of smoke, and last about 15 minutes each. Police seem to like that I’m using them and not something more homemade. Really big sparklers, the huge jumbo kind, give a cool white light. I’d love to find a white road flare. That would truly rock.

caradoc
    Participant

Yeah, I’m guilty of the “kid pic” (and the occasional lack of artistic taste). But they’re THERE. Y’know? Just waiting to be photographed. Plus I just plain like to take those pics. The snapshot with something more to it than just a snapshot.

Oh, believe me – I know the feeling.

It’s like the half-naked chicks. They just show up, begging for photographs.

(And, no, I’m not joking…)

caradoc
    Participant

I’d love to find a white road flare. That would truly rock.

Have you considered any of the flashbulbs that the spelunkers prefer for cave photography?

Also, many different colors of signal flare are available from marine supply houses – the white handheld flare is typically used for collision avoidance signaling.

lokisbong
    Participant

Could a mod see if they can fix the deleted picture please.I know it works.

U-Man
    Participant

Oh, believe me – I know the feeling.

It’s like the half-naked chicks. They just show up, begging for photographs.

(And, no, I’m not joking…)

Yeah. Know what you mean. *grabs crotch briefly* ‘Cept with me they’re completely naked.

(Joking. Definitely joking. 🙁 )

soosh
    Participant

Also, many different colors of signal flare are available from marine supply houses – the white handheld flare is typically used for collision avoidance signaling.

I’ll have to look into that. Thanks. You know any names of marine supply houses?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Could a mod see if they can fix the deleted picture please.I know it works.

Got it. The file size is 192k, though, so it might be coming up against that fuzzy 200k-ish limit.

lokisbong
    Participant

Thank you. I will try to remember that fuzzy thing. 😀

caradoc
    Participant
    soosh wrote:

I’ll have to look into that. Thanks. You know any names of marine supply houses?

There should be quite a few in/around Juneau – Western Auto Marine, for example.

Pretty much any boating supply house should have ’em in stock. Red, orange, white, and green seem to be the most available.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 123 total)
  • The topic ‘08-20-08 – Silhouettes’ is closed to new replies.