08-20-08 – Silhouettes

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-20-08 – Silhouettes

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    caradoc
    Participant

//kidding. she might need a sammich.

Eve needs no sammich. Genevieve could stand a sammich or three.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’d argue that what is clear is not necessarily the actual subject of the image… 😉

She may not be the intended subject, but she’s where my eye is immediately drawn because of the dark, out of focus photographer. That makes him seem more secondary to her.

erond
    Participant

Do bad exposures count?

This isn’t what I was going for (I’ve learned a lot since then about shooting birds against the sky… ;)), but one man’s mistake… ?

staplermofo
    Participant

I’d argue that what is clear is not necessarily the actual subject of the image… 😉

She may not be the intended subject, but she’s where my eye is immediately drawn because of the dark, out of focus photographer. That makes him seem more secondary to her.

I dunno, I think the silhouette more or less makes the image. You could swap out the bikini-clad model (outrageous, I know) for just about anything and the image would be pretty much the same. Swap the photographer out and you’ve got a totally different image. Besides, making him out of focus puts more (figurative) focus on him, on the nature of his role and all that artsy stuff I don’t like to get into.

Flavivirus
    Participant

I think SS’s is good for a silhouette… but I think Caradocs is really a framed picture of a model. If the silhouette was the subject I think my eye would be drawn to it quicker… the out of focusness of it probably, but also that the model is perfectly in focus, highlighted, and in that 2/3rds zone. (well, if you look at the frame formed by the photographer.)

my vote don’t count, but I’d say no.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Do bad exposures count?

I think that’s ok

I dunno, I think the silhouette more or less makes the image. You could swap out the bikini-clad model (outrageous, I know) for just about anything and the image would be pretty much the same. Swap the photographer out and you’ve got a totally different image. Besides, making him out of focus puts more (figurative) focus on him, on the nature of his role and all that artsy stuff I don’t like to get into.

Those are good points. I think I’m too torn on it. If Choc-Ful-A wants to make a ruling since he suggested the theme, that would be helpful. Otherwise, I think it’s up to the voters.

soosh
    Participant

I’d say no to the shot of the model. I’m torn on the balloon….can something translucent also be a silhouette?

Killerclaw
    Participant

Do bad exposures count?

This isn’t what I was going for (I’ve learned a lot since then about shooting birds against the sky… ;)), but one man’s mistake… ?

I wouldn’t argue it’s entry, but I wouldn’t vote for it either. It’s not all that attractive.

erond
    Participant

Do bad exposures count?

I wouldn’t argue it’s entry, but I wouldn’t vote for it either. It’s not all that attractive.

I probably wouldn’t vote for it either, even if I submitted it. 😉 It was just a sample I had at hand of various different sets of images that are “camera exposure isn’t what I wanted”, but could fit the theme.

Teffy
    Participant

While I like the model shot, and I agree that without the silhouette it would be a totally different picture, I feel the fuzzy silhouette is the secondary subject of the picture. My eye is instantly focused on the clear model, and then secondly notes its relationship with the photographer. I think it is a great shot, but I’m not sure it fits what we’re looking for.

/my 2 cents
    //I R Newb, don’t mind me

erond
    Participant

I’ve been looking for definitions of silhouette to see whether caradoc’s image was a “silhoette”, and found one reference to “… the primary subject…”, but other than one definition mentioning “primary”, everything else is just outlined, dark object against light foreground, etc.

I would tend to think that the photographer IS a silhouette, but the eyes (mine, at least) are caught by the model first which would diminish the impact.

And, just to throw a fly into the soup, dictionary.com has the following as some of the definitions:
    n. “1. an outline of a solid object (as cast by its shadow) “
    v. “1. project on a background, such as a screen, like a silhouette”

I think that as long as the “no shadows” restriction is followed that anything involving “dark object on a light background”-style or other definitions should be allowed and let the voters decide.

sleeping
    Participant

I suppose to some extent, the meaning of the theme depends on how you correct the grammatical error:

“Backlit photos, photographs where the border, outer edges or overall shape of the subject(s) are the highlight”

vs

“Backlit photos, photographs where the border, outer edges or overall shape of the subject(s) are highlighted”

The former seems like it would exclude more stuff than the latter…

U-Man
    Participant

By the way, in searching the files I found more silhouette stuff than I can use. I plan on avoiding the ant-on-leaf shadow issue. However, I consider that style a silhouette and if someone else uses a good photo like that, it’ll get my vote.

I’m interested in what sort of variety we’ll get tonight.

staplermofo
    Participant

By the way, in searching the files I found more silhouette stuff than I can use.

You know, if you’re not gonna use it…
    *shifty eyes *

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Quick reply here since I’m in a meeting (ugh). On the photographer/model shot I think it’s borderline as well, primarily since the part of the image with the model is so strong. So if I got a bunch of votes, which I expect it would, I wouldn’t be confident that people voted because they liked the silhouette part or because they were entranced by the model. So I wouldn’t submit it personally if I had another option. But since there’s a few people that are equally undecided, I’m OK with letting it go.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 123 total)
  • The topic ‘08-20-08 – Silhouettes’ is closed to new replies.