09-01-10 – Waterscapes

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-01-10 – Waterscapes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Landscapes where water is a prominent feature. Frozen bodies of water are ok, but snow, fog, ice, and rain on their own are not on-theme

Another quality theme by Kestrana–thanks!

ravnostic
    Participant

Clarification–this isn’t necessarily ‘oceans, lakes, etc’ is it? I have selections where water is prominant, but not in a traditional ‘ocean/lake’ sense. In one, there’s actually very little water–but it’s central to the image’s ‘1000 words’, so to speak.

Kestrana
    Participant

No, you don’t have to have an ocean or a lake in the picture. Just water that is a prominent feature of the landscape, whether it’s river, waterfall, glacier, swamp, pond, etc.

zincprincess
    Participant

So under your definition, a fountain or similar where water is the focus is okay?

Kestrana
    Participant

The picture should also be a landscape, so if you have a landscape picture and it features a fountain, knock yourself out.

For the inevitable question: landscape; (n.) 1. An expanse of scenery that can be seen in a single view: a desert landscape. 2. A picture depicting an expanse of scenery.

ravnostic
    Participant

The picture should also be a landscape, so if you have a landscape picture and it features a fountain, knock yourself out.

For the inevitable question: landscape; (n.) 1. An expanse of scenery that can be seen in a single view: a desert landscape. 2. A picture depicting an expanse of scenery.

That might rule one of mine out (maybe; hard to say). I’ll pm you in the morning with the picture, as I’m at work at the moment.

ravnostic
    Participant

Can a view of a canyon from the perspective of being in it be considered a ‘landscape’? i.e., it’s more vertical than horizontal.

Ditto on a view through a natural rock-enclosed tunnel (wide, though–a hundred-ish feet)?

Here in Az, it can be a challenge finding a traditional ‘landscape’ with water, if you’re suggesting something along a ‘skylines’ view.

Kestrana
    Participant

It’s possible to have a vertical landscape, such as a picture of a single mountain.

Kestrana
    Participant

Here’s some examples of other people’s work that would fit this contest:

zincprincess
    Participant

Rather than risk a DQ, I’ll just ask. Does this fit the theme?

DSC_2581

Kestrana
    Participant

It’s an expanse. An urban landscape is still a landscape.

chupathingie
    Participant

Jeeze, Kestrana! yer setting the bar pretty high (love the images)…

I like this idea a lot, I think it’s a great phototopic. +1, here.

I’d feel better about voting for this if had time to contribute. Seriously, I love the contests. I wish I had the time to devote to the challenge. Every theme makes me look at things in a different way. Some of you folks create awesome human studies and it makes me think about why I restrict myself to landscapes and still life.

You’re all invited to the party when I get a life and decide to work less.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

An urban landscape is still a landscape.

Awesome! That’s how I interpreted it, but it’s always good to get the official word.

clouddancer
    Participant

Does the water have to be actually in liquid form? I’m thinking of some shots (possibly to use, will look at them again) I got this winter where there’s some ice/snow and some moving water; though in spring/summer/fall it’d be all moving water and thus liquid and not frozen. Is that okay?

lokisbong
    Participant

I was kinda wondering about fog. Would that be water enough?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 116 total)
  • The topic ‘09-01-10 – Waterscapes’ is closed to new replies.