09-01-10 – Waterscapes

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-01-10 – Waterscapes

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

For my voting it, came down to context. I felt that water had to play a large roll in the shot but it couldn’t be the only thing. A picture of waves doesn’t do it for me, you might as well take a picture of a nicely mown lawn, add people and a coastline, then it works for me.

FWIW my leading vote getter is my least favourite entry, I’ll never figure voters out.

zincprincess
    Participant

FWIW my leading vote getter is my least favourite entry, I’ll never figure voters out.

That’s been the case for the past two weeks and holds true this week as well. *shrug*

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I seem to have been having what was, at best, and intermittent issue.

I’ve noticed intermittent problems the last two contests. Sometimes red X’s and sometimes properly sized frames with no pics. I’ll keep an eye out this week and let you know if I see it again.

olavf, all three pics were just x’s, but clicking on them successfully brought up the large sizes.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Well, this is one contest where I won’t be F5’ing to the bitter end. 🙂 I’m off to get a head start on the holiday weekend.

Good luck to everyone and to those in the states, have a happy and safe Labor Day weekend!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I just resolved to not watch the voting this week because there’s stuff in that thread that’s miles beyond what I submitted. So as SilverStag says, this is a participation only week for me. 😉

olavf
    Participant

Barely that for me. Between the computer problems and the fact that I’m way out-classed in this one… meh. Oh well. Hopefully next week is going to be more up my alley.

Speaking of computers – Elsinore, looks like I’m doing a motherboard swap tonight. If that doesn’t fix things, I’ll probably be reloading the OS tomorrow too. So, if my pics break tonight, don’t bother with the restore. I’ll have to let you know when I’m stable. Well, when my server is stable anyhow 😉

Sorry for the inconvenience – twice in four months is embarrassing :/

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well shit, that really sucks, man. 🙁 You won’t be losing them, though, will you? I mean, once your server is stable, your pictures will show up again, right?

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Zero Exponent‘s waterfall is amazing, but I so would have saved that for upcoming V,M, & Waterfalls (if it were mine–but I voted for it just the same–lovely shot. There’s tons of lovely shots this time.)

Wow, thank you rav, but there are some crazy-good entries … I’d rate mine as good or maybe even pretty good. Glad you liked it though, thanks for the compliment and votage!

Speaking of voting, I’m in agreement that to fit the theme, there must be some land in the shot, and hopefully that land has something interesting to qualify it as landscape.

In short, if your entry has no land, I’m not voting for it, sorry.
    Having said that, I’m gonna need an ice pack for my voting finger sometime saturday afternoon 😛

olavf
    Participant

Yeah, I keep everything backed up on a regular basis. If the thing completely failed, I’d have everything up to this morning or so, so no real worries there. I do need to make a backup of the database for my gallery though. I’d hate to have to recreate all that data 😛

With any luck, it’ll just be the motherboard. *theoretically* Back up in under an hour. Linux is pretty resilient to that kind of stuff. If the OS is hosed somehow, it’ll be sometime tomorrow, since the install process can take a while, and I’ve got to configure some stuff (like the firewall & web server) before I can get back online – the rest of the config can be done on a live box thankfully.

It’s been giving me fits for about two weeks now though, and I’ve tried everything else :/

SilverStag
    Participant

I just resolved to not watch the voting this week because there’s stuff in that thread that’s miles beyond what I submitted. So as SilverStag says, this is a participation only week for me. 😉

I say that?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

olavf: Ok good deal!

SilverStag: Yeah there was a discussion a long time ago about weeks where we’re fully engaged and feel hopeful about our entries and then other weeks where we’re just showing up to participate. Not sure how long ago it was, though, but I thought you were the one who said it.

kashari
    Participant

In short, if your entry has no land, I’m not voting for it, sorry.

Hmmm, see I’m the exact opposite on this contest since it’s titled ‘Waterscapes’ and not ‘Landscapes with a Water Feature’. I hesitated on submitting my waterfall one because I thought it might have too much land. 😆

ravnostic
    Participant

I guess I’m not understanding what you mean by “landscape aspect” then. A desert landscape might not be very “scenic” either, but it obviously qualifies under either definition (though in this case, obviously a desert landscape had to have water in it, too). Ultimately vote for whatever you want, but it seems like you’re suggesting a lot of photos in the thread don’t qualify as landscape photos nor meet the theme requirements.

(and the others who’ve) I’m not saying they don’t qualify for the contest. They just didn’t get my vote. Tastes and interpretations differ, and that’s a good thing. I wanted something in the picture’s distance besides the line between water and sky. Boats, piers, something. That’s just me. I’ve voted (so far) for well over 100, probably closer to 150, of the entries. Had to draw a line somewhere or I’d have voted for all of them. There’s very few poor pictures in there this week.

ennuipoet
    Participant

This week was an amazing example of what Farktography can do. Well done all! I am thinking we have the first thread of the next Farktography book!

lokisbong
    Participant

Yeah this is a huge contest. When was the last time we had this many entries in one contest? I am gonna wear my voting finger out this week for sure. I also feel very outclassed this week. but I am getting some votes so I don’t feel like a complete loser.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 116 total)
  • The topic ‘09-01-10 – Waterscapes’ is closed to new replies.