09-01-10 – Waterscapes

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-01-10 – Waterscapes

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

My B’s here. As always, I welcome input on selection choices. I was pretty solid on my first two, but waffled back and forth between the Chicago pic, the silhouetted Liberty Island, and the Epcot heron/pond.

Comments on other B’s:
    rav: I think you made the right choices, although I may have gone with your first B over your last entry, depending on my mood at the time. I really like the red of the rocks there.

Funny you should say that; I was going to mention that I liked the Glen Canyon Dam shot, but then I’m partial to reds. 😆 I went with the other because there is only about 30 feet width visible in the b-side shot, and I didn’t feel that qualified as a ‘landscape’. I’ll use it somewhere else, to be sure, though. And that shot is a re-shot of one I took a few years before and used as the basis for a painting, of which you can see in this shot, from “All night long’:

http://fossilspringsaz.com/pics/2010/jun/23/anlsm.jpg

It’s my plan to take that shot every time I pass by–it changes regularly, but it’s also very remotely located.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

CauseISaidSo, what’s the road like to Toroweap? I’ve always wanted to go there, and the opportunity may present itself next year. I assume you camped there?

Awesome shot.

Thanks much!

Alas, we did not camp there. I’d love to go back and do it, though. We stayed in a campground close to the north rim (near where the big fire was a couple years later, this was 2004) and drove there one day, spent a few hours, had lunch and drove back. Of all the places I want to go back to after getting a DSLR, that’s #1 or 2.

This was in July. The road wasn’t too bad. It’s about 60 miles, but it will take you at least two hours. There are places where you could go 45-50 (but not many), and there were LOTS of places that were pretty severe washboards and you’d beat yourself to near death doing 20-25.

I took it in a 4WD Suburban without any problem. Didn’t require 4WD at all just getting to Toroweap, but I did use it briefly going to the place nearby (I want to say it was called Vulcan’s Throne.) It was pretty dry when we did it, but I could see 4WD coming in handy if it was wet or muddy.

And finally, if the opportunity even comes near your neighborhood, grab it! We spent about 4-5 hours there and there was exactly one other car that showed up the entire time (and they left after about an hour). You can see and “feel” the Grand Canyon like you can’t anywhere else (that I’ve been) – no guard rails, no crowds, no donkey trails and their leavings. The only man-made items are an outhouse, a picnic table, and 9 primitive campfire rings. Plus I think it’s supposed to be one of the only places on public land on the north rim where you can clearly see the Colorado.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Here’s more of what I’m talking about when I say “primitive”:

The ledge on the right side of the first photo is the one I’m standing on to take my 2nd entry pic. Like I said, one foot in the wrong direction is a fast ticket to an upclose and personal tour of the Colorado. And yes, I’m not ashamed to say I was hugging that rock pretty tightly in the 2nd photo. 😯

ravnostic
    Participant

Zero Exponent‘s waterfall is amazing, but I so would have saved that for upcoming V,M, & Waterfalls (if it were mine–but I voted for it just the same–lovely shot. There’s tons of lovely shots this time.)

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I love this theme, can we do it again next week? 🙂 There’s an overwhelming amount of great photos in the contest, so b-sides seem pointless. But I had trouble picking so I wanted to at least post the “almost chose it” ones here.

Crystal Springs Resevoir

Alternate Waddell Beach shot

Marin County Lighthouse

orionid
    Participant

Thanks for the Kudos, ‘Cause.

Here’s a b-side I forgot about: http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionid/3348371690/
    I didn’t know anything about shooting in raw, or much about post-processing other than curves and hue/sat back then, but I may try forcing some tonemapping in this one, just to see how it looks.

Also: Really good stuff in the b-sides to everyone. Glad I wasn’t the only one cringing as I x’d out some of the runners-up.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I love this theme, can we do it again next week? 🙂 There’s an overwhelming amount of great photos in the contest, so b-sides seem pointless. But I had trouble picking so I wanted to at least post the “almost chose it” ones here.

I have to agree, there are some amazing shots in this thread. I also had a difficult time picking mine, I had to ask my wife for advice. Here are some of my b-sides:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21883298@N08/4946406919/
    (I used a similar shot for trees, so I wanted to go in a new direction)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21883298@N08/4420764727/in/set-72157623318055537/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21883298@N08/4328489567/in/set-72157623222113079/

justkat
    Participant

*sigh* the voters hate me. I know, I know, the competition is fierce this week. Actually, I knew I was screwed before I finished posting my pix. *sigh*

I’m too stubborn to quit, even if 18 of my last 30 contests have been below my av points/entry evar. Suck suck suck. =( Oh well, as Dori says: just keep swimming, just keep swimming…

ravnostic
    Participant

*sigh* the voters hate me. I know, I know, the competition is fierce this week. Actually, I knew I was screwed before I finished posting my pix. *sigh*

I’m too stubborn to quit, even if 18 of my last 30 contests have been below my av points/entry evar. Suck suck suck. =( Oh well, as Dori says: just keep swimming, just keep swimming…

FWIW, the theme specified the inclusion of a ‘landscape’ aspect. As such, you totally got my vote with Lake Folsom, but not the other two, though they are fine pictures.

Voting is especially hard this week with so many pictures, and so many good ones; I have restricted my votes to those that presented a landscape aspect in the shot as Kestrana specified here (which meant, for me, a lot of seascapes didn’t get my vote, as the bare ocean in the background didn’t meet what I felt was meant.) Several shots in the top 10 per the voters also didn’t get my vote for the same reason.

And it’s early yet. Don’t count yourself out. That Folsom shot is a beaut’.

lokisbong
    Participant

I’m with you on the low end of the votes. I will never figure out what the voters want. so I will just enter the Pictures I like and hope I catch the publics eye with one someday.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

FWIW, the theme specified the inclusion of a ‘landscape’ aspect. As such, you totally got my vote with Lake Folsom, but not the other two, though they are fine pictures.

Voting is especially hard this week with so many pictures, and so many good ones; I have restricted my votes to those that presented a landscape aspect in the shot as Kestrana specified here (which meant, for me, a lot of seascapes didn’t get my vote, as the bare ocean in the background didn’t meet what I felt was meant.) Several shots in the top 10 per the voters also didn’t get my vote for the same reason.

And it’s early yet. Don’t count yourself out. That Folsom shot is a beaut’.

The term “landscape” doesn’t require a horizontally oriented image. It’s true that a lot of landscape paintings and photos happen to be horizontally oriented, but it’s not a requirement.

Per Wikipedia’s entry at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landscape : “Landscape comprises the visible features of an area of land, including the physical elements of landforms, water bodies such as rivers, lakes and the sea, living elements of land cover including indigenous vegetation, human elements including land uses, buildings and structures, and transitory elements such as lighting and weather conditions.”

It says nothing about the image’s orientation, but it does seem to include seascapes. Just sayin’…

lokisbong
    Participant

Do people not even look at the rules on the Main page?
    Barret7sc Quote 2010-09-02 12:58:03 PM Vote
    Fall Creek, Idaho
    Does it count if my wife took the photo?

Its the second line for cripes sake

Elsinore
    Keymaster

No they don’t look at the rules. But that entry is gone.

ravnostic
    Participant

The term “landscape” doesn’t require a horizontally oriented image. It’s true that a lot of landscape paintings and photos happen to be horizontally oriented, but it’s not a requirement.

Per Wikipedia’s entry…et al.” .

True. And I didn’t rule out vertically orientated shots (I voted for many of them). But per Kestrana‘s:

For the inevitable question: landscape; (n.) 1. An expanse of scenery that can be seen in a single view: a desert landscape. 2. A picture depicting an expanse of scenery.

My criteria emphasized on the ‘expanse of scenery’ aspect. I didn’t wikipedia the topic, or otherwise try to justify the multitude of ‘angles’ the theme could take (elsewise, I’d have selected different pictures.) An ocean is an expanse, indeed…but not very scenic, in my perception. I looked for background context, or at least foreground.

I’m just a lowly single voter, and gawd knows I may be/can be/often am wrong, but I tried to vote within what I perceived to be the theme, as stated here. If I’m wrong, then the voters will ‘say’ so. And indeed, for a number of shots in the top 10, I’m wrong. NBD. I was just sayin’, so to speak.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I guess I’m not understanding what you mean by “landscape aspect” then. A desert landscape might not be very “scenic” either, but it obviously qualifies under either definition (though in this case, obviously a desert landscape had to have water in it, too). Ultimately vote for whatever you want, but it seems like you’re suggesting a lot of photos in the thread don’t qualify as landscape photos nor meet the theme requirements.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 116 total)
  • The topic ‘09-01-10 – Waterscapes’ is closed to new replies.