09-01-10 – Waterscapes

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-01-10 – Waterscapes

Viewing 11 posts - 106 through 116 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant

I want to try that out of mouth shot. (I had to be careful with wording)

Never heard of Gigi D’Agostino. I enjoyed it though. I picked that guy just because he seemed relaxed yet full of purpose.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to Ranger Joe/Cameraflage this week!

orionid
    Participant

I want to try that out of mouth shot. (I had to be careful with wording)

Never heard of Gigi D’Agostino. I enjoyed it though. I picked that guy just because he seemed relaxed yet full of purpose.

Check out this book. It’s where a lot of my ideas have sparked from. I’m also sure you could probably find it cheaper than what the people on amazon are charging if you looked around a bit.

U-Man
    Participant

First – congrats to Camerajoe Rangerflage. I almost posted here Wednesday night, “soosh and RangerJoe are gonna hit it big this week.” Really and truly.

orionid, that looks cool. Good thing Mopsy runs a bookstore and is always looking out for Christmas gifts. (hint, hint Mopsy)

cameraflage
    Participant

Congrats to Ranger Joe/Cameraflage this week!

Woo hoo! It is a privilege to have participated in such an epic contest and an honor to have won.

justkat
    Participant

I wonder how many other people people’s votes were lost because of a different definition of “waterscape” than the description offered. It definitely didn’t say anything about picture orientation. My non-lake-folsom pictures were 10x more original than 90% of the entries (which doesn’t make them better, but should have made them worthy of some thought) and were well executed. Not to say they should have been contest winners, but they were interesting dammit. The algae closing behind the ducks as they swim? Tiny cliffs? Nobody else did anything like it that I noticed. It’s sad to me to think they were blown off because of the formatting when the contest definition defined waterscapes as a a large expanse of water, water being the prominent feature. Oh well, so be it. I’m not pissed off, just kind of bummed.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I wonder how many other people people’s votes were lost because of a different definition of “waterscape” than the description offered. It definitely didn’t say anything about picture orientation. My non-lake-folsom pictures were 10x more original than 90% of the entries (which doesn’t make them better, but should have made them worthy of some thought) and were well executed. Not to say they should have been contest winners, but they were interesting dammit. The algae closing behind the ducks as they swim? Tiny cliffs? Nobody else did anything like it that I noticed. It’s sad to me to think they were blown off because of the formatting when the contest definition defined waterscapes as a a large expanse of water, water being the prominent feature. Oh well, so be it. I’m not pissed off, just kind of bummed.

Trying to figure out why voting works out the way it does for a Farktography contest is a great way to drive yourself crazy. It’s even less predictable then the Fark Photoshop contests, and that’s saying something… I gave up trying to figure out what happened afterwards and 99% of the time post the photos I like the best and don’t worry about it. I find I enjoy the process much more as a result.

And for what it’s worth, I voted for all three of yours. The algae and tiny cliffs precisely because they were creative and stretched the theme.

Kestrana
    Participant

Hey the photo I submitted that was the basis for me suggesting the contest got 3 votes so, yeah. Shit happens.

ravnostic
    Participant

Hey the photo I submitted that was the basis for me suggesting the contest got 3 votes so, yeah. Shit happens.

Actually, Kes, it got 9. But point well taken–I sometimes go with the one I like the best, the one I kinda like, and the one I figure won’t do well–and the last often gets the most votes (and the one I like best hardly ever does.)

zincprincess
    Participant

Actually, Kes, it got 9. But point well taken–I sometimes go with the one I like the best, the one I kinda like, and the one I figure won’t do well–and the last often gets the most votes (and the one I like best hardly ever does.)

That’s been my experience as well. I should just learn from the voters and pick my least favorite first and work backwards. There’s no accounting for taste of the farktography voter.

justkat
    Participant

And for what it’s worth, I voted for all three of yours. The algae and tiny cliffs precisely because they were creative and stretched the theme.

Thank you!! 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 106 through 116 (of 116 total)
  • The topic ‘09-01-10 – Waterscapes’ is closed to new replies.