09-03-08 – Terminal Madness

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-03-08 – Terminal Madness

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Shots of Terminals. Airports, train stations, ports, pc terminals, etc. The term is open to interpretations. Difficulty: No terminal illnesses please!

Theme suggestion courtesy of simdan42.

Teffy
    Participant

Is a dock considered a boat terminal? I’m having trouble finding the definition of boat terminal, although i have found it in enough instances to know that the phrase does exist.

justkat
    Participant

Is a dock considered a boat terminal? I’m having trouble finding the definition of boat terminal, although i have found it in enough instances to know that the phrase does exist.

I’m not a mod, but if a port is a terminal, i think a dock should be.

I was wondering myself if the abrupt end of a road would be considered such. If need be I’ll get off my ass and take the picture early so I can show y’all what i mean. 😉

sleeping
    Participant

I think “Terminal” in transportation terms tends to imply a major station or hub – a bus stop or a garage wouldn’t be a terminal, so a marina or small private dock probably wouldn’t be either? A ferry terminal obviously would be, though.

Teffy
    Participant

Well, I’m asking because I’ve just honeymooned on a cruise, and I’m trying to figure out if I can use any of the docked pictures or not.. So I guess something that can fit a huge cruise ship can be considered a terminal.

wrayvynn
    Participant

I dont suppose any of you Alaskans plan on submitting a shot of the Valdez pipeline terminal? Just curious, would be cool to know before I drive 300+ miles to take the same shot as 8 other people.

soosh
    Participant

I’ve never been there, so no, I’m not going to be using a shot from there.

wrayvynn
    Participant

Okies, I have been there a few times, not sure why I didnt take pictures of it then, perhaps the bears distracted me. I’m still not sure I’m going down there this time though. We usually do once or twice a year but since the summer has been so bleh and with gas prices the way they are we just haven’t. Last road trip worthy weekend of the year is comin’ up and I really want to go to Healy instead of Valdez and find some agates or something cool, maybe a bear…then I could make my cloak…

*Wanders off muttering incoherently.*

justkat
    Participant

Got some ideas for this and can’t put it off for the last minute, since the contest is the day after surgery and I’ll be lucky if I’m with it enough to post ’em. If not I’ll have the hubby post them on my behalf. I’m really hoping I’ll be good to post ’em myself. If the hospital has free wifi (and it does, oh yes it does) then I intend to use it, loopy or not. 😛

Killerclaw
    Participant

JR train terminals will make their appearance

schnee
    Participant

I was just in the Miami airport, trying to clear customs in less than an hour. If anyone took a photo of me at that time, it would have been a good entry for this contest.

(clearing customs took higher priority for me than making a photograph. I’m so ashamed – where do I turn in my Farktography card?)

Teffy
    Participant

I’d be a little nervous going to an airport here and taking pictures.. What with my luck, I’ll be arrested as a potential terrorist

corsec67
    Participant

I’d be a little nervous going to an airport here and taking pictures.. What with my luck, I’ll be arrested as a potential terrorist

Print out and bring Krages’ excellent page on Photographer’s rights.

For this contest, I think I might combine my favorite cable, my drill light, and my Lensbabies with the star aperture.

Does the end of the fiber optic cable count as a “terminal”? It isn’t just a bare cable, and does interface to an electronic device.

My other idea was a joke with an ancient laptop being a terminal, which I have used with my desktop before.

schnee
    Participant

I actually had a nice little and friendly chat with a TSA agent in the Dallas airport. She was only interested in why I was taking pictures of a really boring airport (and I even had the tripod setup). I explained the contest and tried to enlist her in … inciting … some madness, but she didn’t bite.

There were several “no photographs” signs at the Cayman Is’s immigration/customs – I felt I didn’t want to push that…

lokisbong
    Participant

I think “Terminal” in transportation terms tends to imply a major station or hub – a bus stop or a garage wouldn’t be a terminal, so a marina or small private dock probably wouldn’t be either? A ferry terminal obviously would be, though.

Well that cuts me down to a small airport because this podunk town does not have a bus station or ferry terminal or train station. It barely has public transportation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • The topic ‘09-03-08 – Terminal Madness’ is closed to new replies.