09-03-08 – Terminal Madness

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-03-08 – Terminal Madness

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    jpatten
    Participant

I’d be a little nervous going to an airport here and taking pictures.. What with my luck, I’ll be arrested as a potential terrorist

Print out and bring Krages’ excellent page on Photographer’s rights.

Of course if the TSA decided to be testy, a printout will do you very little good.

olavf
    Participant

Well that cuts me down to a small airport because this podunk town does not have a bus station or ferry terminal or train station. It barely has public transportation.

I don’t believe the theme is limited to transportation only though. It might be a good excuse to skip the obvious and go with some macrophotography?

lokisbong
    Participant

Well that cuts me down to a small airport because this podunk town does not have a bus station or ferry terminal or train station. It barely has public transportation.

I don’t believe the theme is limited to transportation only though. It might be a good excuse to skip the obvious and go with some macrophotography?

You have a point. I guess my first step is wiki terminal and see what I can find that fits the theme that I have access to.

olavf
    Participant

You have a point. I guess my first step is wiki terminal and see what I can find that fits the theme that I have access to.

According to the dictionary http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/terminal, there’s a lot of ways one could go with this.

/Got myself some new ideas too, methinks…

wrayvynn
    Participant

A little too far off the path? It would cause me terminal madness, I know that. http://wrayvynn.deviantart.com/art/Terminal-Madness-III-95889344

U-Man
    Participant

Print out and bring Krages’ excellent page on Photographer’s rights.

I’ve read this before and came here to ask where I could find it. Thanks! That’s mighty speedy service.

I agree with olavf, this will be a more interesting theme if terminal is defined loosely.

I know. I read the difficulty – But I have one idea that relates to termial illness or death. It wouldn’t actually show anybody who was ill or dead though. The way I picture it in my head is very tasteful and could be powerful. A living, sad person is pictured but the subject is death and dying. Should I even try this one or would it be automatically booted because of the difficulty?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think that’s basically hitting the difficulty, so I wouldn’t think it should qualify.

U-Man
    Participant

so I wouldn’t think it should qualify.

Uuuuuuh. So that’s a “No, don’t use that idea”. Right? 🙂

olavf
    Participant

Personally, I’d love to see what you had in mind – you do some awesome stuff – but I’d guess that something pertaining to a terminal illness would definitely hit the difficulty wall.

olavf
    Participant

That said, what do y’all think about a roundhouse/turntable being in theme? It’s the ‘end of the line’ as far as the trains go, but it’s not a embarking/disembarking location.

I ask because some of the shots I plan on taking this weekend are near the California Railroad Museum and they’ve got a really nifty turntable where they spin their excursion trains around to go the other way.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

You are correct, sir.

/Ed MacMahon

Seriously, though, if it has anything to do with terminal illness, death, or suggestion of same, it’s Right Out.

U-Man
    Participant

I actually had two ideas. I work at a hospital and I was going to try a shot like this – Cardiac monitor in the foreground, in focus, with a flat-line. One of the residents in their ‘doctor coat’ talking with someone in street clothes in the background, slightly out of focus. Titled something like “We did everything we could…”

The other would be my wife and kids (or maybe just one of them, or maybe holding the little one) holding hands in front of a grave. Shot from behind. Setting sun in the distance.

Morbid, I know. But real and possible powerful.

/Many days I go home and give my family an extra big hug because of something I saw at work. Recognizing how fortunate we are today. Right now. We’re not guaranteed tomorrow.

jpatten
    Participant

I agree they could be powerful pictures, but would probably also have to agree that they would not fit in with the rules for Farktography, but that does not mean they would not be wonderful or any less powerful somewhere else. Save them for a more meaningful contest or usage

U-Man
    Participant

…but would probably also have to agree that they would not fit in with the rules…

Yeah. I guess I forgot to acknowledge that in the beginning of my last post. I wasn’t trying to influence the jury. 🙂

corsec67
    Participant

Wow. Being a nerd and hating to throw stuff away does have its advantages some times.

I am trying to get a cool shot with one of each kind of cable end I have. With no duplications, I am at 38, with male and female being different (duh!!).

Everything from D9 serial, PS2 controller, PS/2, to TOSLINK…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • The topic ‘09-03-08 – Terminal Madness’ is closed to new replies.