09-09-09 – Farktography Classic: Less is More 2

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-09-09 – Farktography Classic: Less is More 2

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant

soosh, I agree with NBD. I’ll have to try the milk jug thing.

Justkat, you and I are on the same page. I think one of the issues with this form of art is that folks have different bullshit thresholds. When I see a minimalist painting with just a black line on white background my BS alarm goes off. Yet I think that this works – http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbaadd/2592988084/ . I’m sure that some folks would look at the raindrops and not “get it”.

U-Man
    Participant

Oh yeah. That bit about being on one side or the other. I plan on using three different levels of minimalism and see what works.

olavf
    Participant

soosh, I agree with NBD. I’ll have to try the milk jug thing.

Justkat, you and I are on the same page. I think one of the issues with this form of art is that folks have different bullshit thresholds. When I see a minimalist painting with just a black line on white background my BS alarm goes off. Yet I think that this works – http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbaadd/2592988084/ . I’m sure that some folks would look at the raindrops and not “get it”.

The asymmetry is what really makes that picture work.

And as far as the different ‘levels’, I’m with you. I am rejecting one because I think it’s more abstract than minimal. And the debate continues 😛

justkat
    Participant

Oh yeah. That bit about being on one side or the other. I plan on using three different levels of minimalism and see what works.

that’s a good plan, and I think I’m going to have to go with it as well. 😉

orionid
    Participant

And I still have no idea.

clouddancer
    Participant
    thepostess
    Participant

I like the composition of the first one a lot. However it would be far more interesting/minimal against a clear blue sky. Or maybe even a partially cloudy sky. But in this case, the dark clouds take away from the focus of the picture, which is the clothes line. JMO.

clouddancer
    Participant

I thought that about the clouds too. I do have others that I took yesterday too that are different. Unfortunately, the sky hasn’t been cooperative so there’s not much I can do about the clouds. I may just have to bow out if I can’t find anything that works.

thepostess
    Participant

Don’t bow out, just be creative.

A couple of weeks ago, I almost bowed out of a weekly theme I participate in called Macro Mondays on flickr. The theme was ‘James Bond’ and I had zero ideas and was going to pass. My husband jokingly said, “Don’t be a wuss.” So I bent my brain a bit and came up with the 5 allowed shots. Wouldn’t you know, 1 of those shots got me my first “Explore” on flickr. In case you don’t know what “Explore” is, it a measure of the most interesting shots that are uploaded to flickr each day.

Go get ’em clouddancer. If you are happy with your shot, that’s all that matters.

U-Man
    Participant

Clouddancer, you already have something that works. I like the clothesline pic. I agree that it isn’t perfect – but you can’t control the clouds and it is certainly good enough to enter. Is it in your back yard right now? Can you go try again? Can you put it in front of all blue or all white or all gray? Perhaps try a different shot with the post and the lines parallel to the photo borders and then cram it all into one corner. What about hanging one baby sock from it? With just the lines and a sock in the frame?

soosh
    Participant

Yeah, definitely don’t bow out. I put up stuff regularly that I know isn’t exactly within the theme but works for whatever reason to my way of thinking. I’ve had some pretty good results with that, and some not so great.

That raindrop photo bugs the hell out of me for reasons I can’t quite express.

soosh
    Participant

I think your clothesline photo is plenty minimalist for my tastes.

justkat
    Participant

clouddancer- the clouds don’t bother me in that shot. in opposition to U-Man, I think partial cloudiness would detract more than the pretty much uniform color you have right now. You might be able to do something with your camera software’s lighting settings to make the clotheline pop a little more out from the sky, but I really wouldn’t stress about it too much. 🙂

U-Man
    Participant

in opposition to U-Man, I think partial cloudiness would detract more than the pretty much uniform color you have right now.

What you talkin’ ’bout Willis? I said, “all blue or all white or all gray”. We agree.

btw soosh, I snickered that the raindrops pic bugged you. It made me want to post more. 🙂

clouddancer
    Participant

I’m actually training today so there are LOTS of breaks. We’re given ample time to practice and soon we’re supposed to take lunch anyway. SO, while I ventured outside for a couple of steps I happened to notice that there weren’t any clouds in the sky. Guess who hurried back in to grab her camera! WOW what a difference! HOLY COW I got some really nifty shots (and I don’t know how). I actually caught sun beams/rays on a couple! It’s wicked neat!

I had liked the gray of the clouds before, but I like these SO much better. I’ll link here to the sun shots that came out REALLY neat. I’ll go crop and upload real quick. Be back soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 98 total)
  • The topic ‘09-09-09 – Farktography Classic: Less is More 2’ is closed to new replies.