09-14-11 – Summer Daze

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-14-11 – Summer Daze

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I generally post mine in the order I like them. But in a bit of geometric OCD perhaps, if I have two portaits and a landscape (or vice versa), I’ll rearrange the order so that the odd man out is framed by the other two. Hmm. That sounds weird even to me after writing it out…

ravnostic
    Participant

Put the 2nd best first, the best last, and throw everything else in the middle. Someone said that once, and that’s usually how I post. Except when I don’t. And the voters sort it out in the end, anyway.

justkat
    Participant

Interesting to see how everyone does it!

I don’t have a formula that I could put into words, especially because one of the variables is what time I’m posting. (For instance, if I post late enough that my pix will be clumped together I might order them differently than if they are going to have several other submissions between them).

Plamadude30k
    Participant

I generally post mine in the order I like them. But in a bit of geometric OCD perhaps, if I have two portaits and a landscape (or vice versa), I’ll rearrange the order so that the odd man out is framed by the other two. Hmm. That sounds weird even to me after writing it out…

God, it’s like you’re in my head.

/How’d you get in there, anyway?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’m not sure myself, but would it kill you to tidy up in here every now and again? 😛

U-Man
    Participant

Is it bad that I don’t thing that is at all weird?

edit: thinK-k-k-k—K.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Well, I’d guess that depends on whether you take being told that you’re one of us as a compliment or an insult! 🙂

Plamadude30k
    Participant

I’m not sure myself, but would it kill you to tidy up in here every now and again? 😛

It might. 😛

U-Man
    Participant

Compliment, of course.

Curious
    Participant

(For instance, if I post late enough that my pix will be clumped together I might order them differently than if they are going to have several other submissions between them).

that doesn’t change the posting order but it sure changes how i think they will do. try to space mine out but there’s no evidence that it changes anything.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

I will never understand voters. That is all.

Okay, not all: I’m not saying I should do better than someone else or even than I am…. It’s just the ORDER of them! 😉

First of all, I don’t understand the low overall votes for this one. Considering the number of excellent photos, I would expect the total votes to be well above average, instead of exactly average (at time of this post). I have not voted yet, but when I do it will be a large number, probably 50+ because of all the stuff I like. Are there actually people voting for only a handful of the entries? That would be a shame.

Secondly, I’m a bit puzzled by the stats my Flickr is showing for my “Delicious Canada Day Bubble Girl” image from the contest. The stats say 75 “hits” from Fark.com yesterday (and 703 views on the photostream overall–a busy day, for me anyway). I assume this means that 75 people thought the photo was interesting enough to view larger, but as of now it only has five votes … WTF?

Ah well, so much for my plan of vote whoring with scantily clad girls and boys 😕

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Zero, the number of hits from Fark.com may include the link checker bots, so it might represent less than 75 actual people. I’m not sure how often the bots run, but I see them a lot in the server logs for my entries. I don’t know how representative my stats are, but since I host different images for small vs large, I can tell exactly how many people choose to view larger and it’s never more than a handful.

Kestrana
    Participant

Since Monday was Labor Day in the US last week, it could be that there are people on vacation this week which lowers the total votes we get. Maybe Summer as a season doesn’t speak to viewers like other seasons either, I think it’s harder to define summer in a photo than the other seasons.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I swear I’m not so anal retentive that I comb through looking for reposts intentionally, but while viewing the full-size entries in the thread for the first time just today, I saw one that looked familiar. I’m fairly certain that this one is the same as this one from Artsy Fartsy, just with tweaked settings and a wide frame around it.

Kestrana
    Participant

It’s the same picture but it might a different frame. If you look at the plant in the bottom right corner, there is a leaf at the corner that you can see in this week’s contest and it’s not in the artsy fartsy shot; the whole vertical of the picture is longer. Of course that could be from re-cropping the original.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)
  • The topic ‘09-14-11 – Summer Daze’ is closed to new replies.