09-14-11 – Summer Daze

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-14-11 – Summer Daze

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Uranus
    Participant

It’s the same picture but it might a different frame. If you look at the plant in the bottom right corner, there is a leaf at the corner that you can see in this week’s contest and it’s not in the artsy fartsy shot; the whole vertical of the picture is longer. Of course that could be from re-cropping the original.

the hue is lighter this week as well…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

It looks very much the same, though as Kestrana said, it could be a different frame. Unfortunately neither image has exif attached, so I asked in-thread about it.

Also FYI: I’ll be going camping with the Girl Scout troop tomorrow evening, so I will have to post the congrats message early to the top finalists at the time.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Here’s the original shot resized and superimposed on the current one with a difference filter. I think they’re the same shot, just with the current one tweaked for contrast and sharpened. Even if it’s the identical shot, it could still be a different frame, so I’m not advocating any action, just shrugging the responsibility off onto Els. 😉

Good luck with your camping trip, Els. Hopefully the weather’s a bit nicer this time.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Elsinore, I don’t know when you wanted to start doing the call-out to the newbs & long-time-no-sees (LTNS), so I’ll just leave this here and you can use it or ignore it. I’ve defined LTNS as more than 6 months (26 contests) since they last entered. Is that good or should we use a shorter/longer period? Also, anyone have any ideas on a good (shorter) name for the LTNS’s?

The newbs this week are Misteja and mrjin.

The LTNS’s and the time since their last entry are:

UserName           LastDate    LastContest     WeeksSince  ContestCount

branchtroy 2011-03-09 Stars 27 3
    DirkTheDaring 2011-02-02 Vote Whoring 32 2
    dj maskell 2010-06-23 All Night Long 64 3
    Johnny Bananapeel 2010-12-15 Blur 39 14
    littleghoti 2010-09-01 Waterscapes 54 10
    theropod 2010-12-08 Optimus Prime 40 7

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I can start that this week–thanks for the list! I think the LTNS cut off of 6 months sounds good. Anyone else want to weigh in on that?

As for the possible repeat, without exiv, I’m a little leery to pull it given that someone can snap off a few very fast frames with no movement in between the frames. It would toe the spirit of the rules if it was absolutely identical, but the letter of the law concerns the frame/exposure. Hopefully the person will respond in the thread.

For camping, weather looks like it’s going to be nice, and we’ll actually be in tents this time. I’m the official Fire Starter. I have the badge that proves the Girl Scouts have taught me how to start forest fires, so woo hoo! 😉

Kestrana
    Participant

Sounds good to me

olavf
    Participant

Works for me.

And enjoy the pyro, Els!

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Zero, the number of hits from Fark.com may include the link checker bots, so it might represent less than 75 actual people. I’m not sure how often the bots run, but I see them a lot in the server logs for my entries. I don’t know how representative my stats are, but since I host different images for small vs large, I can tell exactly how many people choose to view larger and it’s never more than a handful.

Thanks for the ‘splanation, did not know there was such a thing as a “link checker bot”. The weird thing is, that specific entry had way more Fark hits than the other two entries, so I’m thinking a good percentage of those were actual viewers. Maybe they were too busy fapping to remember to vote 🙄

Anyway, sorry if I came off like Crankypants McButthurt there. Normally I don’t worry too much about vote totals, but like I say … I was TRYING to vote whore this week. I feel like the cook who has prepared a meal especially for a fussy group of eaters, and then when I put the food out, suddenly the’re not hungry (cue sad trombone music).

No worries though. Love the quality of the photos this week, I’m off to cast my votes!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Yep, there are actually two sets of bots (or at least two actions that they take) – one that makes sure the link to the picture itself is valid and one that makes sure that any link to bigger is also valid. That’s why you’ll see entries disappear during the middle of the contest if your host has a hiccup.

And as for me, I didn’t think you came off as Crankypants McButthurt. I (and I’m sure all who’ve participated for any period of time) have felt the same at one point or another. The bottom line is that I don’t think it’s possible to know the whims of the voters in particular and the internet in general.

Here’s a bit of strangeness that I’ve found in my shots: The most searched for and viewed image of any that I have (and I’m talking by a wide margin)? It’s not one of my wins or even one of my entries. It’s this B-side from my b-side page for The Book of Armaments. WTF?!? I’ve since learned that the little .25 pistol in that image is one of the most frequently used in illegal actions, so maybe wannabe thugs are doing their research?

Kestrana
    Participant

Kestrana, May I ask what settings you used for your “hiking light” photo? I really like it. I was hiking Monday and tried to capture a similar shot but was unsuccessful. I’m guessing it has something to do with exposure compensation but I don’t know how that works yet.

Missed this earlier, sorry

Larger version here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kestrana/5949384398/

Most of it was just good timing being late afternoon in a damp, steamy forest. My exif data says 2:32 pm and it’s set on Pacific time, so it was 5:32. Camera settings aren’t anything too special, 640 iso (due to the dark forest), f/3.5 @1/8. The slightly longer exposure makes the light halo a bit more. In Photoshop Elements I used curves to increase contrast and highlights, then moved the green scale a little bit darker so that the blown out leaves in the background where the sun was shining didn’t look so obtrusive.

bender16v
    Participant

Thanks for the info. I think I need to start carrying a tripod with me since I can’t hold still for that long. Or maybe get creative and find rocks or stumps on which to set the camera.

Kestrana
    Participant

We have these for hiking/outdoor stuff. They also worked pretty well in Luray Caverns: http://www.farktography.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2827

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to U-Man this week!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Congrats U-Man on the firsts in both individual and combined. Here are this week’s SQ top ten lists:

By votes:

Rank  Username        Votes
    ----

1 U-Man 920
    2 ravnostic 784
    3 kestrana 661
    4 Ranger Joe 656
    5 orionid 650
    6 oddmind 565
    7 Ennuipoet 549
    8 SilverStag 542
    9 BecauseISaidSo 533
    10 olavf 530

By NVC:

Rank  Username           NVC
    ----

1 U-Man 505.04
    2 ravnostic 432.31
    3 orionid 369.70
    4 Ranger Joe 366.52
    5 kestrana 362.28
    6 BecauseISaidSo 308.34
    7 oddmind 305.44
    8 SilverStag 299.21
    9 Ennuipoet 295.95
    10 olavf 290.04

U-Man
    Participant

Thanks. See you for ‘Airborne’ in a few days.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 78 total)
  • The topic ‘09-14-11 – Summer Daze’ is closed to new replies.