09-21-11 – Airborne

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-21-11 – Airborne

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

D’oh! OK, forget my suggested addition to the description, it’d be really silly to leave birds out of an airborne theme. I’ll just step back out of the picture now until Farktographer can answer since it’s his theme…

Farktographer
    Participant

Woohoo, I have internet again! In time to answer a question it seems, too. When I was thinking “airborne” I was thinking particular objects – not cloudscapes. I don’t think it really fits in with the theme here (though, technically, it could). Let’s try to stick to no clouds, no stars, no sun, no moon, etc.

lokisbong
    Participant

Oh Kay…. I will just have to use them later.

ravnostic
    Participant

Woohoo, I have internet again! In time to answer a question it seems, too. When I was thinking “airborne” I was thinking particular objects – not cloudscapes. I don’t think it really fits in with the theme here (though, technically, it could). Let’s try to stick to no clouds, no stars, no sun, no moon, etc.

I was thinking along the lines of ‘off-ground objects within the earth’s atmosphere, but also excluding those things a part of earth’s atmosphere.’

Eliminates astrophoto-centric stuff, plus the clouds/lightning/rays-of-sunshine-etc. that people might be compelled to enter.

The hardest part of many themes is that the idea behind them is clear, to us frequent viewers, but how to word it concisely for the non-forum venued poster, not-so-much.

Kestrana
    Participant

How about just “Difficulty: no natural phenomena, i.e. clouds, stars, etc.”

ravnostic
    Participant

How about just “Difficulty: no natural phenomena, i.e. clouds, stars, etc.”

Yeah, this, but the wording might be too limiting; my shot in the recent b/w contest, as an example, with the plane pulling away from the clouds**, someone might not submit given the verbiage.

I’m still hoping for the shot of the plane as it passes in front of the moon (only been looking for it for a few years now)–the moon is a compositional element in such an image; a reference, a backdrop, but really, it’s only a picture of the moon (not theme-worthy) until you put a helicopter or plane or bird right in front of it (IMO, theme-worthy). I’d not want to exclude someone from posting that kind of shot because of the difficulty++.

**yeah, I have other frames of the same that I could use–but I really loathe that kind of recycling, and try to avoid it where possible, esp. so recently as 2 contests ago.

++and I’d be a jealous bastard if they did.

Farktographer
    Participant

I was thinking along the lines of ‘off-ground objects within the earth’s atmosphere, but also excluding those things a part of earth’s atmosphere.’

Eliminates astrophoto-centric stuff, plus the clouds/lightning/rays-of-sunshine-etc. that people might be compelled to enter.

The hardest part of many themes is that the idea behind them is clear, to us frequent viewers, but how to word it concisely for the non-forum venued poster, not-so-much.

This is pretty much what I was thinking from the beginning. I’m worried a stipulation of “no natural phenomena” would have people questioning whether a flock of birds is considered a phenomena.

aspidites
    Participant

This is pretty much what I was thinking from the beginning. I’m worried a stipulation of “no natural phenomena” would have people questioning whether a flock of birds is considered a phenomena.

What a small flock of birds might look like.

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i447/aspidites2001/Pictures/Homer_Eagles_Panorama.jpg

Kestrana
    Participant
    Farktographer wrote:
    ravnostic wrote:

I’m worried a stipulation of “no natural phenomena” would have people questioning whether a flock of birds is considered a phenomena.

I wouldn’t consider animals to be “phenomena”. YMMV.

ravnostic
    Participant

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i447/aspidites2001/Pictures/Homer_Eagles_Panorama.jpg

On the other hand, none of these birds are airborne…

Great picture–but IMO, while I wouldn’t exclude backgrounds, I’d want the subject that draws the interest to be airborne. Damn the Engrish langoo-edge.

Kestrana
    Participant

I think that was linked to be more tongue in cheek, since it’s a stitched pano…

aspidites
    Participant

On the other hand, none of these birds are airborne…

Great picture–but IMO, while I wouldn’t exclude backgrounds, I’d want the subject that draws the interest to be airborne. Damn the Engrish langoo-edge.

I wasn’t suggesting that as a submision. It was stitche together from 3 pictures and none of them are airborne. That was just what I started the day off with. It was a good day.

This one is airborne.

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i447/aspidites2001/Pictures/_X0U3974.jpg

ravnostic
    Participant

I wasn’t suggesting that as a submision. It was stitche together from 3 pictures and none of them are airborne. That was just what I started the day off with. It was a good day.

This one is airborne.

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i447/aspidites2001/Pictures/_X0U3974.jpg

😯

I’ll just put this DSLR thingy away and go play in the sandbox with the other tater tots.

All I got is a flock of seagulls.
    http://www.sweetslyrics.com/images/img_gal/17032_a-flock-of-seagulls_130289253533.png

orionid
    Participant

What a small flock of birds might look like.

A flock of EaGulls?

/That airborne shot…… So…. Who wants to compete for second place?

Edit: I guess I should read the whole thread before responding with a pun. Well placed, Rav.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well, clouds are certainly airborne, as are birds. I’m not sure clouds were meant in the original spirit of the theme, but they fit the letter of it either way. No reason at all that birds should be excluded.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 97 total)
  • The topic ‘09-21-11 – Airborne’ is closed to new replies.