10-06-10 – Labor Day

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-06-10 – Labor Day

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Photograph some people while they’re hard at work.

Theme suggestion courtesy of bucky_bacon–thanks!

clouddancer
    Participant

This can include work on anything, correct? I’m thinking working putting something together, working on homework? That’s pretty much all I’m going to be able to get.

olavf
    Participant

I looked through my archives, and most of the shots I considered are of Caltrans workers. The ‘hard at work’ difficulty precludes them, I think =P

clouddancer
    Participant

By that then, if the road crews up in Lincoln aren’t done yet, maybe I can get a few shots of them this week. Else, I’ll have to find something of Hubby and/or Atrus. Hubby and friend (who’s staying with us now) often work on homework together, so I might be able to catch some of that. In a couple of weeks my parents are coming up Columbus Day weekend to help Alex and friend reshingle the roof, which badly needs done. While I will take pictures of that, it’ll be too late for this contest.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

This can include work on anything, correct? I’m thinking working putting something together, working on homework? That’s pretty much all I’m going to be able to get.

I would allow that, considering that “student” can be a career.

Curious
    Participant

i have several photos of the folks i work with (some shot for the “hands” contest) but the lighting is so crappy there they aren’t very good.

ravnostic
    Participant

Photograph some people while they’re hard at work.

‘Hard’ at work. Literal, or metaphorical? I have a shot where there’s work being done, but nobody’s sweating or anything. As an example–someone making a pizza pie, or knitting. Yeay? Nay?

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Yes, more metaphorical. People who are actively working. “Hard” is subjective and was added to the description for dramatic effect.

ravnostic
    Participant

i have several photos of the folks i work with (some shot for the “hands” contest) but the lighting is so crappy there they aren’t very good.

If these were shot with your new camera, you can change the color temperature with it’s software (GREAT for florescent lighting issues.) You may be able to do so even with pics taken before then–my Canon software will let me do so, at least.

Curious
    Participant

If these were shot with your new camera, you can change the color temperature with it’s software (GREAT for florescent lighting issues.) You may be able to do so even with pics taken before then–my Canon software will let me do so, at least.

most were shot with the 7D, some with a 7i and some with a A360 Fuji FinePix. having taken another look at them some shot for “behind the scene” (not hands) might work and were shot with flash. the rest are crap even with the color corrected.

but it’s one more thing to play around with. back in the day you just screwed on a 85 (or 85b, help me with this sleeping) filter and shot away.

sleeping
    Participant

80A to shoot daylight film in incandescent light I think. 85’s go the other way (I used one shooting outside when I found some really cheap tungsten slide film).

If the lighting is really bad you can always try converting it to BW… mixed fluorescent and incandescent you often can’t do much else with it.

Curious
    Participant

80A to shoot daylight film in incandescent light I think. 85’s go the other way (I used one shooting outside when I found some really cheap tungsten slide film).

If the lighting is really bad you can always try converting it to BW… mixed fluorescent and incandescent you often can’t do much else with it.

your right again. i have mine from the old old days of shooting seattle film works movie film packaged as 36 exposure rolls. you got back negs, slides and prints. while it was cheap, even with the filters the color was a bit wonky and printing from it was no fun.

thanks for the input.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I got really lucky this weekend, in terms of taking photos. I went on a walk down to the river and found a bunch of guys fishing, just below the waterfalls. There were a lot of salmon making the trek upstream. I had to go back a second day as all the shots from the first day were not very good (blurry, wrong lens, etc). I more or less captured 3 upcoming farktography themes in one shot (almost litterally).

caradoc
    Participant

I went out last week with the intent of getting some photos of the local road crews working.

Never actually saw them doing anything but standing around smoking, though.

ravnostic
    Participant

I went out last week with the intent of getting some photos of the local road crews working.

Never actually saw them doing anything but standing around smoking, though.

Hey, don’t go telling people what other Arizona people will be posting! 😯

It’s all we got, man. 😥

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • The topic ‘10-06-10 – Labor Day’ is closed to new replies.