10-06-10 – Labor Day

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-06-10 – Labor Day

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    lokisbong
    Participant

well reality conspired against me this week. I forgot it was this theme this week and I have been crazy busy getting ready to move.. On top of that going through my archives find not even a single mediocre entry. I have no pictures of people working. so I must sit it out this week and I didn’t want to ever do that any more. I was trying to get something every week. I failed this time.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Guh… sorry all. I certainly didn’t mean to cause any difficulties. Most of my theme suggestions seem to hit the wall. Don’t think that I have anything else in the hopper now, so there’s that to look forward to. Some nice stuff from those that did partcipate though!

ravnostic
    Participant

Guh… sorry all. I certainly didn’t mean to cause any difficulties. Most of my theme suggestions seem to hit the wall. Don’t think that I have anything else in the hopper now, so there’s that to look forward to. Some nice stuff from those that did partcipate though!

The series with the guy training the horse is awesome, in particular.

olavf
    Participant

bucky_bacon it’s a challenging theme, sure, but I think we all need this sort of theme to push ourselves. And, I don’t think the participation this week is bad, so far. And there’s certainly been quality to make up for any perceived lack of quantity.

LeicaLens
    Participant

I think it was a good theme, somewhat reminiscent of “On the Streets” in that often you are taking pictures of people you don’t know. Also it was interesting for considering how much to include: a close up of the subject deep in concentration? or pull back to show the work they are doing? pull back more to put the work in context? and so on.
    I took a few shots for this contest, but ended up discarding them for pictures I already had.

A few B sides:
    http://flic.kr/p/8GSNMm
    http://flic.kr/p/8GSNKY
    http://flic.kr/p/8GSNFu

I was particularly torn over whether or not to post the first of the B sides.
    I took it years ago (film), before I really started paying attention to the finer points of photography, but I kinda like it, and it fits the theme beautifully.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

one more B side – it was to be an entry until my wife nixed the idea

Habs Practice

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

… Some nice stuff from those that did partcipate though!

Yup. *tips Stetson*
    Ennuipoet‘s operation shot also really caught my eye. He managed a great photo, under challenging circumstances – not to mention some heavy sedation. Glad all is well now.

Pope_Larry_II – Carey Price? So you’re a habs fan, but you live in TO? You’re happy no matter who wins tonight’s game, aren’t you? … looks like Leafs, 3-2 with 2min in the 3rd.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Pope_Larry_II – Carey Price? So you’re a habs fan, but you live in TO? You’re happy no matter who wins tonight’s game, aren’t you? … looks like Leafs, 3-2 with 2min in the 3rd.

Yep Habs fan. I never like losing to the Leafs.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Ennuipoet‘s operation shot also really caught my eye. He managed a great photo, under challenging circumstances – not to mention some heavy sedation. Glad all is well now.

😀 Thanks! When the doctors noticed me shooting her immediate response was “Don’t take my picture, I look fat in this gown!” We keep our sense of humor when we’re hip deep in blood. Here is a “B” Side which was my original submission but was cut due to the blood

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennuipoet/5057656749/

If you don’t like blood, then I wouldn’t click that!

kashari
    Participant

… Some nice stuff from those that did partcipate though!

Yup. *tips Stetson*

Thanks you guys!

Curious
    Participant

ennuipoet you have almost 5000 images in that photostream. and i didn’t see any sets of collections. so how do you manage to find older stuff? or do you just not bother?

nobigdeal
    Participant

ennuipoet you have almost 5000 images in that photostream. and i didn’t see any sets of collections. so how do you manage to find older stuff? or do you just not bother?

??
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennuipoet/sets/

ennuipoet
    Participant

As NoBigDeal noted I keep sets, almost compulsively. I use Flickr as kind of an online backup so if a major disaster happens I still have what I consider the best of what I shoot. I usually upload at full size jpeg so I have something to restore from. Offline I use Lightroom* where I tag, and keep them in sets according to year/event/description. I can usually find a particular image in a minute or so.

*Lightroom cost a tidy fortune…someday I will–ahem–buy a copy.

Curious
    Participant

well dip me in pig poop. don’t know how i missed them.

i have lightroom but since i got mine free and wasn’t crazy about the interface have seldom used it.

i have my images backed up on two separate HDDs and soon it will be three. two externals and an internal. images are sorted by camera used then subject and sub subject. but a lot of finding stuff relies on my remembering what camera, when/where the shot was, etc. and until i get demented it works. not lighting fast but it works ok.

olavf
    Participant

We have a massive set of folders organized by year, then by month, then an ‘event’ tag that includes date, who took it, and what the occasion was. That’s not too bad. I keep meaning to add a text file with keywords in the directories but I haven’t.

that whole mess gets backed up to my other server several times a week… I have all the stuff I need for a 1TB external drive to keep offsite but I have yet to do that.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • The topic ‘10-06-10 – Labor Day’ is closed to new replies.