10-08-08 – Collections

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-08-08 – Collections

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    staplermofo
    Participant

It’s just that some of his more amazing photographs are things like utility poles littered with staples and nails, rusty culverts, old keys…. things that I wouldn’t even think to photograph but yet, I find myself voting for every week and wondering if I’ll ever have that sort of “Aha!” clarity.

As a general rule, the people LOVE staples.

U-Man
    Participant

Thanks for the nice comments guys. Like soosh said, I try to find a subject that is interesting and/or unusual. I’ll bet that he does this too – but I actively look for stuff that to the casual observer would be considered insignificant or ugly. If looked at in a different light or from a different angle (both figurative and literal) this stuff is frequently really cool. I’ve said it before, but I really like my perspective of the world when I look through a camera. It forces me to stop and look and actually see the beauty in the world rather than just filter it out as I go about my busy day.

What makes something wierd click in my head and then turn out as a nice photo? Hell, I don’t know. I do know that frequently the pics I get out of my camera don’t match the cool one in my head. Lots of the crap I photograph just turns out as a crappy pic. 🙂 One of the reasons I love digital is that I’ll take bunches of pics of any given subject from all sorts of angles. Sometimes the odd angle turns out well. Sometimes it looks to me like I’m trying too hard to get a funny angle.

I’ve had a theme idea bouncing around in my head for a while now. I tried to capture it with the “Simple Beautiful” theme ( http://farktography.net/index.php?module=Photoshare&func=showimages&fid=141 ). That didn’t quite get it though. This discussion caused it to crystalize.

Theme – “Ugly….but has a great personality”
    Description – Show us interesting photos of something that many would consider ugly.
    Difficulty – While the incidental human is OK, people cannot be the subject of the photo.

U-Man
    Participant

By the way – I take some nice photos. I like them. I get votes. However, I know that I’m not some hot-shot, know-it-all photography guru. 🙂 Lots of you guys know way more about this stuff than I do. Some of you are just starting out. I’m just into it and I really enjoy this farktography community.

staplermofo
    Participant

<—-The hot-shot, know-it-all photography guru
    (If you can’t baselessly brag on the internet, where can you?)

U-Man
    Participant

See, I told you that lots of you guys know more. But I consider ‘mofo more of a shaman.

staplermofo
    Participant

^

This is proper Bhakti.

(saunters off, chanting the Hare Swingline mantra)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to redwoodcruzr this week!

Killerclaw
    Participant

<—-The hot-shot, know-it-all photography guru
    (If you can’t baselessly brag on the internet, where can you?)

Sports bars.

redwoodcruzr
    Participant

^

This is proper Bhakti.

(saunters off, chanting the Hare Swingline mantra)

Ommm, Kerchunk Kerchunk

redwoodcruzr
    Participant

Congrats to redwoodcruzr this week!

Thanks, Elsinore. Just goes to show it’s better to be lucky than good.

I was personally quite surprised how well that shot did. I struggled with the DOF and wound up running out of time.

Oh well, I guess I should just enjoy my time in the zone, because I’ve got squat for this weeks theme.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • The topic ‘10-08-08 – Collections’ is closed to new replies.