10-12-11 – Infrastructure

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-12-11 – Infrastructure

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

All are kosher.

oddmind
    Participant

…set your camera on the lowest iso and tightest aperture. put your lens cap on. set exposure to bulb. tape down your shutter button, line up your shot, remove lenscap, count a few seconds, replace lenscap, line up second frame, remove lenscap, count a few seconds, replace lenscap, release shutter button. tada.

I did exactly this for one of my images in the “A Show of Hands” contest. It works, but it’s tricky to get right.

It’s loads of fun, especially in the dark! I did it on “Emotion,” when I had Mr. Oddmind’s Devil and Angel persona each peering over his shoulder at the same time. Hmmm. Could this be a future theme??

U-Man
    Participant

All are kosher.

Cool.

lokisbong
    Participant

How about the barb wire fence separating BLM land from the rest? I can even find a section with a sign I think.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Hey ya’ll.

I have Farked for some time and as of Where the Wild Things Are just jumped into Farktography. I’m working up ideas for this contest one of which involves multiple exposures. I have searched the rules and read past threads on their philosophy and I agree but my question is this (and it probably belongs in its own topic):

Since multiple exposures “in camera” are alowed as one would have done on a negative, and Nikon DSLRs can perform this “in camera”, what are us Canon people to do? The mfg left out that feature.

Can we stack images as long as no other PS tricks are used ie tone mapping, exposure compensation from image to image so that film is still simulated, any other stipulations welcome. I just want the functionality.

The others pretty much already answered your question, but just to confirm, multiple exposures–either digital or film–when achieved in-camera are legal for Farktography. Us Canon folk either have to shoot on film or do the long exposure/lens cap fake multiple exposure method. Image stacking is not legal for Farktography except where the theme itself allows/requires it (e.g. HDR, stitching themes, etc).

Also, minor image retouching for noise, hot/dead pixels, red eye, or small blemishes is legal for Farktography. For blemishes and the like, it’s intended for things that are just a few pixels, not a face full of acne, removal of braces/glasses, lens flare, electric lines, tree limbs, etc etc.

Welcome aboard 🙂

Also also wik, for Yugoboy: linguine answered you there–if it’s something that’s otherwise not allowed under Farktography rules for post-processing (other than something like multiple exposures which are fine if they’re truly in-camera), then they aren’t ok in-camera. The rationale is that the camera is basically post-processing for you and applying those affects after-the-fact.

orionid
    Participant

So, my Nikon has a multiple exposure setting in-camera (must be shot with RAW). I can’t currently use that, if I somehow figure out how I’d use it?

Just for clarity.

While I haven’t done anything much with the on-board stuff, there’s a freakin’ butt-load of software on-board. What’s in, what’s out?

(It won’t apply to this contest… I got some really good shots today of a train trestle over falls, and some other recent shots of stuff I’m fixin’ to use… just seems like the place to ask the question now that it’s being discussed).

If it mimics film techniques like my Nikon (drop-menu asks how many frames, the next X times you press the button get added to a single RAW file just like they’d build on a single negative) that’s perfectly fine.

If it lets you go back, pick two RAW files, and merges them for you (like stacking/sandwiching negatives, which happens to be pretty much the only outlawed darkroom technique), that’s not fine.

As far as other stuff, like ‘Guine said, if it’s too much software on the computer, it’s probably too much software in the camera. Anything applied after the fact is right out. Program modes, EV shifts, manual settings, white balance, etc.; they’re all kosher.

orionid
    Participant

Apparently I type slower than Elsinore. I swear her post wasn’t there when I started typing.

My story. Sticking to it.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol! 😆

nobigdeal
    Participant

For blemishes and the like, it’s intended for things that are just a few pixels, not a face full of acne, …

So I guess we can’t fix this poor thing then?

Kestrana
    Participant

lokisbong: BLM land in and of itself isn’t really infrastructure since they’re the caretakers for all the government owned “empty” land. If the land is actually being used to support human civilization somehow (watershed land, federal prison system, abandoned mine shaft field – historic infrastructure – or a wind farm, etc) then it’s fine. Fences in and of themselves aren’t infrastructure but if they’re connected to something that is (a prison fence, a fence around a power station, highway medians, etc) then they’re fine.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

For blemishes and the like, it’s intended for things that are just a few pixels, not a face full of acne, …

Alas, no 🙁

aspidites
    Participant

So, I am doing a little research on the ole Wikipedia looking for ideas and I am now compelled to ask: the idea of this theme is Hard Infrastructure, correct?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrastructure#.22Hard.22_versus_.22soft.22_infrastructure

Roads, railroads, power lines, aqueducts, that sort of thing are the intended subjects rather than government buildings or banks, that sort of thing?

So is anything listed on that wiki page fair game for this week? Or is it limited in some way?

ravnostic
    Participant

So, I am doing a little research on the ole Wikipedia looking for ideas and I am now compelled to ask: the idea of this theme is Hard Infrastructure, correct?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrastructure#.22Hard.22_versus_.22soft.22_infrastructure

Roads, railroads, power lines, aqueducts, that sort of thing are the intended subjects rather than government buildings or banks, that sort of thing?

So is anything listed on that wiki page fair game for this week? Or is it limited in some way?

I’m reading this as ‘show us the base elemental places/things that support our civilization.’ I’m sure that isn’t the limit of the contest, but it’s in the ballpark, and I’m hoping that’s what the voters envision. The description, to me, is vague and could imply more, but the way it’s written, I’m sticking with hard.

lokisbong
    Participant

lokisbong: BLM land in and of itself isn’t really infrastructure since they’re the caretakers for all the government owned “empty” land. If the land is actually being used to support human civilization somehow (watershed land, federal prison system, abandoned mine shaft field – historic infrastructure – or a wind farm, etc) then it’s fine. Fences in and of themselves aren’t infrastructure but if they’re connected to something that is (a prison fence, a fence around a power station, highway medians, etc) then they’re fine.

So the fence surrounding an abandoned mine shaft would be cool? The one I am now thinking about the whole fence stretched straight would only be maybe fifty feet long. With signs warning you not to get any closer even. there are abandoned mine shafts every where around here on both sides of the BLM fence I was thinking about. Some of them barely visible until you get up to the edge of the shaft even and some with no warning fence at all.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Alas, no 🙁

Too bad, she cleans up nicely! 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 95 total)
  • The topic ‘10-12-11 – Infrastructure’ is closed to new replies.