10-12-11 – Infrastructure

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-12-11 – Infrastructure

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Participant

For blemishes and the like, it’s intended for things that are just a few pixels, not a face full of acne, …

So I guess we can’t fix this poor thing then?

Alas, no 🙁

Well, we could start with hair and costume. Then move on to pose and lighting. Come back for eyebrows and makeup. And finally, a thick coat of Vaseline on the lens and maybe a smile. Anything can be fixed.

If you are taking a photo and say to yourself, “Oh, I’ll just fix that in Photoshop,” then perhaps you should stop and correct it properly in the first place. Think of it similar to the process of building a house: it’s better to level the foundation in the first place, than to shim the walls to correct that.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I knew about Kenny B’s…he’s posted or attempted to post those tower climb pics to numerous contests. Didn’t realize about Kestrana’s though 🙁 Kes–you got something else to enter?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

If you are taking a photo and say to yourself, “Oh, I’ll just fix that in Photoshop,” then perhaps you should stop and correct it properly in the first place.

That’s probably one of the best summations of the ideal behind Farktography that I’ve seen.

gambitsgirl
    Participant

Hi y’all I’m jan. queenbee suggested I start trying farktogrophy. So I threw one in.

Yoyo
    Participant

If you are taking a photo and say to yourself, “Oh, I’ll just fix that in Photoshop,” then perhaps you should stop and correct it properly in the first place.

That’s probably one of the best summations of the ideal behind Farktography that I’ve seen.

I don’t mean this to just apply to Farktography contests, but to all photographs: focus, sharpness, blur, white balance, exposure, highlights, flare, aberrations, etc. I realize that a lot of the corrections allowed for Farktography can be batch processed on a whole series of photos, e.g. white balance or exposure, but I still think would would be more efficient to do those once in the camera, instead of to each image afterwards.

In my opinion, creating a montage or mosaic in Photoshop is not a “fix,” but a purposeful artistic or technical process. I figure that we forbid it in Farktography, since we’re here for photos, not montages. My employer is rather strict as well about limiting post-processing for publicly released photos. Doctored photos make it look like we’re trying to hide something from the public.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Oh I agree!

nobigdeal
    Participant

For blemishes and the like, it’s intended for things that are just a few pixels, not a face full of acne, …

So I guess we can’t fix this poor thing then?

Alas, no 🙁

Well, we could start with hair and costume. Then move on to pose and lighting. Come back for eyebrows and makeup. And finally, a thick coat of Vaseline on the lens and maybe a smile. Anything can be fixed.

If you are taking a photo and say to yourself, “Oh, I’ll just fix that in Photoshop,” then perhaps you should stop and correct it properly in the first place. Think of it similar to the process of building a house: it’s better to level the foundation in the first place, than to shim the walls to correct that.

The PoPo don’t usually worry about that stuff for mugshots! 😛

olavf
    Participant

Hey gambitsgirl! LTNS!

Elsinore – I’m aware of the problem with my pics. That domain was still on my old DNS provider. I’ve rectified the problem, but it could take a while to propagate through the internet, so my pics are probably going to drop. I’ll let you know when things are working again, so maybe pretty-please you can restore at that point. I wouldn’t bother before, because they’ll likely drop again. Could take a few hours.

Edit – dnscentral.com and their affiliate digitaldaze.com are pretty much the worst DNS/registrars on the internet. They’ve both completely crashed four times this year, once for over 24 hours, and never answer the phone nor offer an apology.

I’d already transferred my domains away from them, but I hadn’t moved my DNS off for this one because I’m paid through March. Well, that’s been changed now too.

olavf
    Participant

Sweet. It seems as though I’m back up before the bot scrubbed the thread 😀

Kestrana
    Participant

Mopsy I see your daytime Eisenhower Expressway and raise you : http://www.flickr.com/photos/kestrana/4620472600/ 😉

Yours is prettier! Did you take it from the Sears Tower too?

I don’t know about prettier but yes, it’s from the Sears Tower. As soon as I saw your pic I was like “oh hay i kno whar that is”

Kestrana
    Participant

And Elsinore nah I’ll just go with the other two. That’s what I get for second guessing my shots right before contest time when I’m hungry and horny and tired.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Hi y’all I’m jan. queenbee suggested I start trying farktogrophy. So I threw one in.

Welcome! Like your photo of the bridge, looking up at one of the towers. Neat perspective.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

And Elsinore nah I’ll just go with the other two. That’s what I get for second guessing my shots right before contest time when I’m hungry and horny and tired.

lol! Well hopefully all three of those issues reached…uh…resolution 😉

ravnostic
    Participant

Happy to have you join us–welcome!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Sweet. It seems as though I’m back up before the bot scrubbed the thread 😀

Ok phew, cause I was gone for a few hours! Just double checked the thread again to be sure, and they’re all three there.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 95 total)
  • The topic ‘10-12-11 – Infrastructure’ is closed to new replies.