10-12-11 – Infrastructure

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-12-11 – Infrastructure

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Show us the necessary backbones of life – from support columns to transit systems to power relays.

Thanks to Kestrana for the theme suggestion!

ennuipoet
    Participant

So, I am doing a little research on the ole Wikipedia looking for ideas and I am now compelled to ask: the idea of this theme is Hard Infrastructure, correct?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrastructure#.22Hard.22_versus_.22soft.22_infrastructure

Roads, railroads, power lines, aqueducts, that sort of thing are the intended subjects rather than government buildings or banks, that sort of thing?

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Ennuipoet, I’m treating this as contest about Industrial Architecture. I assume that the intent is to photograph bridges, dams, water treatment plants, etc.

Kestrana
    Participant

Actually I would say both hard and soft infrastructure is fair game for this contest if you want to enter it. Although whether we need the government to live right now is probably one of those questions… 😉

fluffybunny
    Participant

Hey ya’ll.

I have Farked for some time and as of Where the Wild Things Are just jumped into Farktography. I’m working up ideas for this contest one of which involves multiple exposures. I have searched the rules and read past threads on their philosophy and I agree but my question is this (and it probably belongs in its own topic):

Since multiple exposures “in camera” are alowed as one would have done on a negative, and Nikon DSLRs can perform this “in camera”, what are us Canon people to do? The mfg left out that feature.

Can we stack images as long as no other PS tricks are used ie tone mapping, exposure compensation from image to image so that film is still simulated, any other stipulations welcome. I just want the functionality.

Kestrana
    Participant

If I understand it correctly the “in camera multiple exposures” was actually meant to refer to doing it the hard way – on film. Not all Nikon cameras can do multiple exposures in cameras either, and there are probably some Canons that can. As far as allowing it through technology vs. in-camera I’m not the final authority on the matter but I would lean towards “that’s a slippery slope I don’t want to go down”. Despite the fact that you are basically simulating what you would do in camera, you have the option in your PS program to vet which of your images is used and which looks better on top or bottom, the amount of opacity used, etc. These simple actions that are necessary to create the multiple exposure give you a distinct advantage over someone doing it in camera where they only have their little one inch screen to review what’s automatically created. I’ll defer to Elsinore or a general consensus of Farktographers for a final ruling however.

But I don’t want to stifle your creativity; you can post the photo to the thread as a non-voting entry for everyone to enjoy.

And finally, welcome to the forums & Farktography 😀 We have piecharts.

orionid
    Participant

if it’s truely done in camera, ie *set settings, click, change settings, click* then it’s kosher regardless of medium. Film actually gives a little bit more leeway, as you can put a registration mark on a roll, shoot it up, rewind it, and shoot it again.

using an “in-camera” function to fuse two previous exposures is not kosher.

as far as canons without in-camera multiple exposures, i developed a technique a couple years back to work with my older nikon. it only works with still life, but it works. set your camera on the lowest iso and tightest aperture. put your lens cap on. set exposure to bulb. tape down your shutter button, line up your shot, remove lenscap, count a few seconds, replace lenscap, line up second frame, remove lenscap, count a few seconds, replace lenscap, release shutter button. tada.

linguine
    Participant

Im thinking the last time we discussed stacking images in camera we said no since we were getting rid of the digital manipulations that you originally could do in camera but couldnt do on the computer. This is the last thread on it I could find on in camera vs photoshop manipulations, although Im not entirely sure it hasnt been brought up again since then. http://farktography.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=874&highlight=stacking+images

fluffybunny
    Participant

Thanks for the input and opinions. I was thinking like orionid mentioned “as you can put a registration mark on a roll, shoot it up, rewind it, and shoot it again” except a digital equivalent. I had considered Kestrana’s concern “you have the option in your PS program to vet which of your images is used and which looks better on top or bottom, the amount of opacity used” and its why I solicited “any other stipulations”. It’s becoming clear that this would require more legislation which seems to contradict your apparent principles of keeping it as simple as possible, which I am in favor of.

The idea of leaving the shutter open will not likely work as the setup time between exposures would cause too much sensor noise, at least it does on my 20D, maybe my new toy (7d) would do better. Anyways, I guess I’ll just stay away from the idea for now.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Oh yeah and I like Pie too,.. and Ice Cream.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

…set your camera on the lowest iso and tightest aperture. put your lens cap on. set exposure to bulb. tape down your shutter button, line up your shot, remove lenscap, count a few seconds, replace lenscap, line up second frame, remove lenscap, count a few seconds, replace lenscap, release shutter button. tada.

I did exactly this for one of my images in the “A Show of Hands” contest. It works, but it’s tricky to get right.

Kestrana
    Participant

The idea of leaving the shutter open will not likely work as the setup time between exposures would cause too much sensor noise, at least it does on my 20D, maybe my new toy (7d) would do better. Anyways, I guess I’ll just stay away from the idea for now.

I think cleaning up sensor noise is something that can (moderately) be done within Farktography’s rules.

But yeah we do want to keep it pretty simple as far as rules go. We had a debate about whether using a scanner to create an image was “legal photography”. Our compromise was to have the “Scanner as Camera” theme to get it out of our systems. If not for this theme, you could suggest a multiple exposure theme (one was suggested recently but did not green light) or keep it in mind for the next “Software Hootenanny”.

Yugoboy
    Participant

So, my Nikon has a multiple exposure setting in-camera (must be shot with RAW). I can’t currently use that, if I somehow figure out how I’d use it?

Just for clarity.

While I haven’t done anything much with the on-board stuff, there’s a freakin’ butt-load of software on-board. What’s in, what’s out?

(It won’t apply to this contest… I got some really good shots today of a train trestle over falls, and some other recent shots of stuff I’m fixin’ to use… just seems like the place to ask the question now that it’s being discussed).

linguine
    Participant

The general rule of thumb is you cant do any in camera digital manipulations that you can’t also do on the computer. So things like selective color and hdr in camera aren’t allowed.

U-Man
    Participant

Trains, train tracks, train yard = OK for this theme. Right?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 95 total)
  • The topic ‘10-12-11 – Infrastructure’ is closed to new replies.