10-17-07 – Wallpaper This!

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-17-07 – Wallpaper This!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Shoot a photograph specifically to be used as computer wallpaper.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Do we want to say anything on this one that people should still ask before taking photos from the thread? Or should we say something along the lines of entering this week is giving permission for the photos to be used for personal wallpaper display? Given the theme description, it kind of implies that the photos are free/allowed for that use.

/not that that ever stopped anyone

SilverStag
    Participant

Good question- there are a lot of screen sizes and shapes, so a link to the various sizes should suffice, since I doubt that anyone uses a 640-pixel wide screen anymore. I vote that we use a GPL – variation “These photos, for this contest only, are for your personal use only as computer wallpaper. All other uses and rights are reserved by the photographer.”

boringolddoug
    Participant

I agree with Silver Stag. I would be tickled to have a photo I enter into this contest used as someone’s wallpaper. I just wish I knew if/how may people used them. Would there be a way to ask that the user advise the farktographer?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Someone in the TF forum asked if we could have people include links to the wallpaper size versions, and they’re really looking forward to the contest. The theme name and description imply that the photos will be available for such use. The GPL variation may do the trick. And maybe we can put in there (like boringolddoug suggested) something along the lines of letting the individual photographer know if you liked their photo enough to grab the photo?

SilverStag
    Participant

Just a second thought, and maybe kind of late- thinking about the differences in what makes a good photo and what makes good wallpaper- maybe we should relax the photoshop/prior use rules for this contest. Just thinking out loud here.

Klahanie
    Participant

This is going to be a good one! What size is good for wallpaper? How do you mean relax, Silver Stag? I’m just wondering because we are going to have a theme like that pretty soon and you know the old saying “give them an inch and they’ll take a mile” 😉

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m with Klahanie on this…not really seeing the need to give more leeway for this particular contest. But also as she mentioned, we’ve been discussing a relaxed rules contest, and I think that would be appropriate for a completely separate theme.

Good question on the wallpaper size. It kinda depends on the aspect ratio and resolution of the monitor, but I’m guessing something at least 1000-1200 pixels on the long side would probably be the minimum for best results. Landscape orientation is probably going to work better than portrait orientation, but I’ve known people to do vertical wallpaper.

Having seen some of the wallpaper-worthy stuff ya’ll have shot in the past, I’m thinking this theme will be an exhibition week for me 😆

kmmontandon
    Participant

It says “shoot” rather than “use” – so we have to get a new photo, rather than something already at hand?

That may be beyond inconvenient.

SilverStag
    Participant

It says “shoot” rather than “use” – so we have to get a new photo, rather than something already at hand?

That may be beyond inconvenient.

ahhh good point. mods, what say we modify it to “your best shots for computer wallpaper” or similar?

zeke
    Participant

Unless its been submitted to farktography before, pulling an older picture out of your archive is just fine.

mikemikeb
    Participant

COMPUTER MONITOR RESOLUTIONS AHOY!

Hey, I needed to get your attention, right? 😛

To answer the question: “What sizes should I use for my wallpaper?”, here’s the Official Answer. Elsinore (or whoever else would do this), if you want to post this in the TF forum (for instance, if some of them won’t come here for whatever reason), please go ahead and do it.

There are two types of screen types out there, both of which I plan, through cropping, to appease with my three entries:

1. Pan-and-scan (4×3 aspect ratio); most common sizes are 1024×768 & 1280×1024.

2. Widescreen (16×10 aspect ratio*); most common sizes are 1440×900 (most widescreen monitors) and 1680×1050 (mondo huge monitors/Apple Cinema 20″ displays).

Now that’s the easy part. However, I myself have questions:

1. What to do for those with abnormal resolutions, say, those with 23″ Apple Cinema Displays (1920×1200), 30″ Apple Cinema Displays (2560×1600), or my display (1400×1050)?

2. Where can I find online usage percentages for each monitor type? Yes, I found this, but it doesn’t give specifics for widescreen or 1280×1024 resolutions.

* Yes, widescreen TVs are 16×9, but for some reason, widescreen computer monitors are 16×10

XenPix
    Participant

How about we ignore the abnormal sizes and just ask people to message us if they want an obscure size?

Or

People may not want to have their image used, so maybe those who do link to available sizes and those that don’t just leave off the linkage? That way it’s a personal choice as to which we do, how many sizes we make, that kinda thing.

Curious
    Participant

i’ll probably shoot mine big (in jpeg) and upload them to flickr. that way folks get a choice of sizes. the entry one will be 640 and hosted on my website with a link to the ones on flickr for anyone who might want one.

i use paid hosting because it allows me better control long term. the stuff i have on flickr is just to share with you guys and is a small part of what i’ve shot or entered.

bobroberts
    Participant

I’ll be designing mine for QXGA, 2048p x 1536p, and THAT’S IT. And boy will that macro shot of my testicles look grand!

But seriously, I’ll probably just go with the resolutions mikemikeb mentioned.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • The topic ‘10-17-07 – Wallpaper This!’ is closed to new replies.