10-17-07 – Wallpaper This!

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-17-07 – Wallpaper This!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Curious
    Participant

i was messing around with some of my images just now and tried using a 3008 x 2000 6.xxMB one as the wallpaper. selected the photo and used right click>set as background and it worked fine. there was a little cropping but nothing special. the one i currently use is from a photoshop contest and is almost square. it definitely crops the top and bottom. i’m thinking any 4×3 ratio or close would work. on flickr a “large” is 1024 x 681 from an “original” of 3008 x 2000. the large is only 301KB unlike the original being 4299.99KB.

one thing i did find using the photo from my HDD is that it really hid the icons. it’s a busy photo of autumn leaves and while i like it and plan on entering it or something similar it’s a bit impractical.

Flavivirus
    Participant

The format that I will be adhering to follows. If anyone is struggling how to pull this contest off, I think it should work very well:

1. Take Original Photo
    2. Create Two “Wallpapers” – one 4:3, one 16:10. if you have enough megapixels/good quality prints to scan, I recommend making the 4:3 at 1600×1200, and the 16:10 at 1920×1200.
    3. Turn the “widescreen wallpaper” into a farktography preview photo. 1920×1200 –> 640×400
    4. Host the “farktogrpahy” verison on imageshack (www.imageshack.us)
    5. Host the “wallpaper versions” on site of your choice (I am happy to host for anyone who needs it, just e-mail me at least a day in advance)
    6. Create the fark post with the following format:

[img src=”location of photo”]Title of Photo – Location
    4:3 version 16:9 version

The result should look quite aesthetic!

I’ll post an example in a second.

Flavivirus
    Participant

Example post using above format: (note, I can’t center it here on phpbb forums, so I faked it with “.”s)

………………………………………………………….Reptilian Green
    ……………………………………………………..4:3 version16:10 version

Hope that helps people! I can be reached by pm if you are looking for help in this regard. (I choose this over flickr because it allows you to choose the “crop” at each aspect, simply turning a 16:10 photo into a 4:3 can look worse than selecting the region yourself)

Flavivirus
    Participant

I hope I didn’t do a no-no in showing a preview of one of my entries, if that represents a problem I can choose a non-candidate and edit it in.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

It isn’t a no-no to show an upcoming entry; it’s an entirely a matter of personal choice. That’s a lovely photo, and a good idea about how to offer the different aspect ratios.

schnee
    Participant

I sort of like previews – if you look at my flickr stream, you can see what I’ll be entering for Powers of Two. My thinking is that if I throw down the gauntlet early, it may inspire someone. And that leads to a better overall theme. Yay!

Like Flavivirus‘s reptile. That’s a darn nice image. I may need to up my ante a bit… And I’ll probably adopt the aspect ratio convention as well.

SilverStag
    Participant

Now all we need is some way to make a download of an image count as a vote!

Morningbreath
    Participant

my taste in wallpaper goes to a single object of interest, with nothing around it, so my desktop items don’t cover anything, and don’t look like they cover anything.

Flavirus’s photo, while busier than mine works because it has only the lizard, and icons placed over the leaves woulld not make one wonder what was covered.

I use something like this:

or this:

I also do not worry about tipping my hat early in the contests, Its not like I am ever a contender for the top spot.

my current desktop is a little muddled n the background for my taste, but the center of focus is, at least to me, a compelling object.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Sorry I’ve not been around the last couple days. How about we add a note that says something along the lines of:

“The Farktographers entering photos this week are making their entries available for personal display, however entrants still maintain copyright over their photos. Please contact Farktographers or mention in the thread if you liked their photo enough to use it for wallpaper–thanks!”

SilverStag
    Participant

How about “Please vote for the images you download” ?

Snug Tight
    Participant

Elsinore

That sounds good.

boringolddoug
    Participant

Elsinore
    I approve.
    Of course the assumption there is anyone entering is willing to have their entries downloaded. Maybe it needs a “Except where the farktographer has specified the entry is not for download”, or something of tht nature? Or not.

RcMacStudent
    Participant

… however entrants still maintain copyright over their photos…

Is it cool to have a copyright watermark on the pictures?

schnee
    Participant

Watermarking is not without precedent in Farktography. My approach to this theme was going to be unwatermark the actual entry, but watermark the larger sizes. But I haven’t watermarked yet.

sleeping
    Participant

I’m going to put a small one at the bottom on my large size ones too. If it’s right at the bottom it will usually be covered up by the Taskbar when it’s actually used as wallpaper (at least in Windows)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)
  • The topic ‘10-17-07 – Wallpaper This!’ is closed to new replies.