11-03-10 – Defunct

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-03-10 – Defunct

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Curious
    Participant

People still use answering machines and VCRs but I definitely consider them defunct or archaic. Archaic things still work they just have been replaced or upgraded with something else.

i programmed my VCR for the shows i didn’t want to miss this week about 2 hours ago. but my answering machine is digital so that’s ok isn’t it?

orionid
    Participant

Archaic things still work they just have been replaced or upgraded with something else.

Hmm, if only you had some really old things around your house that are outdate yet still used…perhaps something modified or even kludged together…perhaps with a soda can… 8)

You know, I was already thinking about that, especially since I just finished restoring my Grandad’s Agfa Viking that he carried in combat in the Korean war.

QueenBee
    Participant

So like I have two tape measures. One is ollllld, wooden and folds up. I also have one of those newer kind that wind up.. can i put them both in a shot to show old and new? or are we looking for just the old?

Kestrana
    Participant

As long as it’s in context you can have whatever else you want in the picture.

ravnostic
    Participant

This proved to be more of a challenge than I originally thought. I finally got my three, but it was difficult to get three I liked. Whether anyone else will like them is to be seen. There are no Bs to speak of. Well, maybe one B.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’m a “bit” (my wife would laugh at that qualifier) of an electronics packrat, so the only challenges for me in this one are 1) I couldn’t just go archive diving; 2) deciding which piece of archaic “junk” to photograph; and 3) digging through boxes in storage to retrieve said junk!

orionid
    Participant

… an electronics packrat … deciding which piece of archaic “junk” to photograph …

TUBES.

/everyone knows REAL radios glow in the dark. At least, that’s what all the white-haired crusty guys at the HAMfests say on their t-shirts.

orionid
    Participant

Mad wicked nerd points if you build a full-scale reproduction (non-working, of course) of ENIAC or UNIVAC and put a [strike]TI-8086[/strike] pocket four-function calculator in the shot for reference.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

TUBES.

I love the glow of tubes! Building a nixie clock is another thing high on my want-to-do list.

I had planned on taking a shot of my Heathkit H8 computer (that still works as far as I know) and its corresponding H19 terminal and H14 printer, all built as kits way back when. But so far the search has proved elusive and would involve completely unloading and repacking a storage closet to access. I think I’m going to have to settle for a little later model.

I don’t have an early calculator, but somewhere in one of those boxes I do have a 4-bit processor (Rockell R6500, forerunner to the 6502 used in the original Apples) experimenter’s board.

ravnostic
    Participant

‘Tubes’ was going to be one of the things I was going to go for, but I couldn’t access operational tubes in time. And without the glow, they’re just an empty vacuum. Oh, well.

sleeping
    Participant

… an electronics packrat … deciding which piece of archaic “junk” to photograph …

TUBES.

For added points, you could arrange them in a series…

orionid
    Participant

‘Tubes’ was going to be one of the things I was going to go for, but I couldn’t access operational tubes in time. And without the glow, they’re just an empty vacuum. Oh, well.

Wah, wah, wa’a’a’ahhhh

ravnostic
    Participant

Wah, wah, wa’a’a’ahhhh

I’m sure yours is excellent. 😥 😛

Is that the “Wah, wah, wa’a’a’ahhhh” of adult characters in the Peanuts cartoons, or rather the one from Debbie Downer on SNL?

//context is important.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Elsinore, I need a bit of a ruling on this photo, there is some potentially offensive language in it. It’s not the photo I plan on using, but the same language appears in both.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21883298@N08/5140745491/

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m not sure what that is or what the words refer to? They aren’t Fark-filterable, so I’d think they’d be ok.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 108 total)
  • The topic ‘11-03-10 – Defunct’ is closed to new replies.