11-03-10 – Defunct

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-03-10 – Defunct

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Things that are archaic, no longer exist or have been replaced by “newer and better”.

Theme suggestion kudos to Kestrana!

LeicaLens
    Participant

I really wish I could go back to my family home for this one.
    Sooo much stuff there would fit this contest.

/my old golf clubs
    //damn, technology has changed in the last 20 years
    ///why-oh-why do I have two expensive hobbies?

orionid
    Participant

I really wish I could go back to my family home for this one.
    Sooo much stuff there would fit this contest.

/my old golf clubs
    //damn, technology has changed in the last 20 years
    ///why-oh-why do I have two expensive hobbies?

Only two?

Amateur.

LeicaLens
    Participant

Only two?

Amateur.

Actually, three if the wife counts 😉

Unfortunately I don’t have your tech skills to rig stuff up cheaply, either (I had to google the word “dremel”. It is now one of my favourite words).

orionid
    Participant

hehe, I hear wives can be expensive. Fortunately, I won’t have to worry about that until may-ish.

And FWIW, now that dremel is one of your favorite words, it should become one of your favorite tools.

LeicaLens
    Participant

And FWIW, now that dremel is one of your favorite words, it should become one of your favorite tools.

Whoooah, whooah, baby steps, man, baby steps.

/and congratulations. I think 😉

olavf
    Participant

Only two?

Amateur.

Actually, three if the wife counts 😉

That gives me an idea, but the ex would kill me.
    /she sometimes peruses the contests

Curious
    Participant

i’m thinking of a windmill and water tank shot i have but i’d bet there are many rural places and ranches where those are still used. in fact all the shots that come to mind are equipment that is still in use if by no one else but fan boys. reel to reel tape recorders are an example.

U-Man
    Participant

i’m thinking of a windmill and water tank shot i have but i’d bet there are many rural places and ranches where those are still used. in fact all the shots that come to mind are equipment that is still in use if by no one else but fan boys. reel to reel tape recorders are an example.

I had that thought as well. But I think the spirit of the theme would allow you to post a pic of an 1889 mule-driven toenail clipper even if one of Ranger Joe’s neighbors uses one. Just because somebody still uses the thing doesn’t mean it ain’t archaic or defunct.

clouddancer
    Participant

This is going to seem off the wall and out of left field, but fossils count, right?

Curious
    Participant

I had that thought as well. But I think the spirit of the theme would allow you to post a pic of an 1889 mule-driven toenail clipper even if one of Ranger Joe’s neighbors uses one. Just because somebody still uses the thing doesn’t mean it ain’t archaic or defunct.

and what do you do about steampunk? i’ll use the turntable instead of iPod rule.

SilverStag
    Participant

This is just the place for my shot of a 1946 Nash trunkback.

Kestrana
    Participant

Fossils are definitely defunct animals…
    People still use answering machines and VCRs but I definitely consider them defunct or archaic. Archaic things still work they just have been replaced or upgraded with something else.

ennuipoet
    Participant

[quote=”Kestrana”Archaic things still work they just have been replaced or upgraded with something else.[/quote]

Hmm, if only you had some really old things around your house that are outdate yet still used…perhaps something modified or even kludged together…perhaps with a soda can… 8)

cameraflage
    Participant

I believe they use a Belgian draft horse instead of a mule.

(seriously, though, they have a wringer-type washing machine run by a gasoline lawn mower engine…might have to see if I can get a shot of it.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 108 total)
  • The topic ‘11-03-10 – Defunct’ is closed to new replies.