11-03-10 – Defunct

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-03-10 – Defunct

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’ll not often be able to get my pictures uploaded right away–especially when the person posting the contest link fall asleep, crashes their computer, has to rescue a small child from a pool, etc. and doesn’t get the link up on time. (Life happens.)

I think that’s happened 3 times in the past 3 or 4 years, so I don’t think you have to worry about that too much.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Congrats to both U-Man and EdenLiesObscured. Mopsy, really liked your phone entry also.

I’m sure this will come as no big surprise to most here as I’ve mentioned wanting to do it several times, but I’ve been working on my own stats tracker. I only mention this now because the subject of vote distribution has been brought up and I can show you exactly what it looks like for the most recent contest:

The Total vote count is in 10’s of votes (2009 total for this contest). Each tick along the timeline is 15 minutes. Not being a TFer, I can only show what happens after it goes green on the main page. All times are US central time.

This should give you an idea of how many potential votes you miss out on depending on when you post. The graph pops to a much much larger version for viewing finer detail if you’re interested.

olavf
    Participant

There are zero votes until the contest goes live, so really you’re pretty accurate as far as my ‘gut feel’ goes for such things.

And a lot of the initial spike is people that vote for themselves, and possibly one or two others.

U-Man
    Participant

Thanks for the comments. I saw ELO’s pic on Thursday and was immediately stuck by it. Then I watched it progress up the ranks. I really thought it would run away with the show. But my two-seater and Mopsy’s tele and others stuck with it. Wow what a close race it was this week. Any of 10 or 15 could have come out on top.

I saw Mopsy this weekend (we met as a family and went to the Lion King broadway show) and she was bummed to get knocked out of 1st but happy about the 2nd. Actually, I think she may have called me a slightly mean name. 🙂

Pretty sure we will both be posting three from Chi-town for the next theme.

sleeping
    Participant

There are zero votes until the contest goes live.

Actually I’m pretty sure it’s possible to vote in the period between the thread being posted and it going green, but usually there aren’t many.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

sleeping, forgot that you’re on the forums, so congrats on your top entry, too. Yours was specifically mentioned by a couple of friends after viewing the contest.

olavf
    Participant

Actually I’m pretty sure it’s possible to vote in the period between the thread being posted and it going green, but usually there aren’t many.

There’s a brief period between when the thread gets posted and when the voting gets cut off until the contest goes live, but that’s not usually more than a few minutes.

sleeping
    Participant

Yup, but you’ll still see a few votes sneak in sometimes if you look.

mopsy
    Participant

Thanks CauseISaidSo for your nice words about my telephone.

ennuipoet
    Participant

If I understand correctly, VE threads that go Green reset the totals to zero upon going Green. I heard that once in the PSAEF, but I could be imaging the whole episode.

CauseISaidSo: Your stat tracker intrigues me because the Photoshoppers are kind of desperate for a stat tracker slash/monitor for photoshop contest. We’ve lost all of our ability to track our stuff since the Mr. Squirrels went down this year. I even know a place that I think could host the tracker if it is something you would be interested in pursuing. If this is relevant to your interests, let me know.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Looking at CauseISaidSo’s stats, it appears that most of the voting takes place during the day on Thursday, which is what I’ve always suspected.

On a personal note, two of my photos this week set personal bests for place and vote totals. I’ve very happy with my results.

Mopsy, I really liked the telephone pic.

Curious
    Participant

i usually wait until Friday morning to vote. gives most folks a chance to get their entries in. and i don’t look at results until i’ve voted.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

CauseISaidSo: Your stat tracker intrigues me because the Photoshoppers are kind of desperate for a stat tracker slash/monitor for photoshop contest. We’ve lost all of our ability to track our stuff since the Mr. Squirrels went down this year. I even know a place that I think could host the tracker if it is something you would be interested in pursuing. If this is relevant to your interests, let me know.

I’d actually considered asking if you PS’ers would be interested in something like that since the contest pages are identical and it wouldn’t be a lot more work to differentiate the two types.

I am interested, but I should let you know that I’m pretty early in development. Right now, I’ve mostly just got the monitoring/parsing component. As I’m only able to work on it in my “free” time, it’ll likely be close to the end of the year before I’m ready for public release with full reporting, so if the PS’ers can wait that long, I can probably help you out. Let me know if you’re still interested so I can be thinking along those lines while developing. If so, feel free to suggest any particular stats or features you’d like to see.

I think I’m OK on hosting, at least for now. I’ve got a GoDaddy unlimited account that’s held up OK so far. I’m a Microsoft developer and so have to have an IIS with ASP.NET host (nothing against Linux, but my expertise is in MS and it’s been pretty good to me so far).

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

On a personal note, two of my photos this week set personal bests for place and vote totals. I’ve very happy with my results.

Congrats on your success!

I’m really pleased with my results, too. Set a new total contest votes record for me and all three finished in the top 20 for the first time ever. And the fact that all three were taken just for this contest is icing on the cake!

ennuipoet
    Participant

I’d actually considered asking if you PS’ers would be interested in something like that since the contest pages are identical and it wouldn’t be a lot more work to differentiate the two types.

I am interested, but I should let you know that I’m pretty early in development. Right now, I’ve mostly just got the monitoring/parsing component. As I’m only able to work on it in my “free” time, it’ll likely be close to the end of the year before I’m ready for public release with full reporting, so if the PS’ers can wait that long, I can probably help you out. Let me know if you’re still interested so I can be thinking along those lines while developing. If so, feel free to suggest any particular stats or features you’d like to see.

I think I’m OK on hosting, at least for now. I’ve got a GoDaddy unlimited account that’s held up OK so far. I’m a Microsoft developer and so have to have an IIS with ASP.NET host (nothing against Linux, but my expertise is in MS and it’s been pretty good to me so far).

Hey, take your time, the last person who decided they wanted to tackle it jumped right in and sank in the waves. I am going to post note in the Photoshop Audio Edit Forum:
    http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=6#new
    asking what people are interested in check there later on today. Pop around, they’re are almost as friendly as Farktographers, though a little more competitive 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 108 total)
  • The topic ‘11-03-10 – Defunct’ is closed to new replies.