11-05-08 – On the Farm

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-05-08 – On the Farm

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant

soosh and anybody else who wants to throw in their two cents, I moved this off-topic discussion over to tech-talk.

here – http://farktography.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=17761#17761

Killerclaw
    Participant

I found a scanner =)

OR

NoticeablyF.A.T.
    Participant

Anyone want to critique a couple possible entries?

Farm 1
    Farm 2

Also, are these two different enough to be two separate entries, or do I need to pick one or the other?

U-Man
    Participant

I had the thought of a wind farm as well. I like it. It’s something different. But I have hundreds or regular farms around and would have to take a bit of a drive to get to the windmills. Plus, I find them kinda hard to photograph well.

IMHO, I like #1. Consider cropping out the far left one that is motionless.

btw – soosh, thanks for the light pollution inspiration from ‘Middle of the Night’. I went out Friday night because the sliver moon was cool when I was driving home for dinner with the family. By the time the kids were in bed and I was out in the corn fields, clouds had covered the moon. However, the nearby city provided nice hazy light on the sky. I have one I’ll enter Wed. that has stars up high but light pollution down low. It looks a bit like a sunrise but the stars tell you it’s not.

corsec67
    Participant

Farm 1
    Farm 2

Also, are these two different enough to be two separate entries, or do I need to pick one or the other?

They are definitely different enough to be separate entries. The rule really is to prevent people from using a different crop of the same exposure in different contests.

I like the movement/blur in your #1, but the overall composition of your #2 I think is stronger, with the color in the clouds and foreground.

U-Man
    Participant

Let’s get two or four more folks to give conflicting opinions. 🙂

corsec67
    Participant

Let’s get two or four more folks to give conflicting opinions. 🙂

Well, the FSM link is right there, so NoticeablyF.A.T. could use the voting history to weigh the suggestion by how much that person groks Farktography.

Which is to say, NoticeablyF.A.T. should listen to you much more than me.

NoticeablyF.A.T.
    Participant

I had the thought of a wind farm as well. I like it. It’s something different. But I have hundreds or regular farms around and would have to take a bit of a drive to get to the windmills. Plus, I find them kinda hard to photograph well.

That one is only an hour and a half north of me, and that was close enough to get something a little less obvious.

I was thinking the stopped one might make it a little more interesting, but the longer I look at it the more I agree it would work better cropped.

A bit off topic:
    Photobucket is resizing my high-res pics (not by much, but that’s still more than I’d like). If I post a smaller version inline hosted at PB, and link that pic to a high-res version on my own site, is my bandwidth still going to be hosed?

soosh
    Participant

btw – soosh, thanks for the light pollution inspiration from ‘Middle of the Night’. I went out Friday night because the sliver moon was cool when I was driving home for dinner with the family. By the time the kids were in bed and I was out in the corn fields, clouds had covered the moon. However, the nearby city provided nice hazy light on the sky. I have one I’ll enter Wed. that has stars up high but light pollution down low. It looks a bit like a sunrise but the stars tell you it’s not.

I’ve had a lot of fun lately working with light pollution as a light source. It’s actually quite versatile once you learn its characteristics.

Here’s one I took a week or so ago, nearly 1am, fully dark with just a few light sources in the fog to the naked eye. there was fog and a snowstorm moving in, but still on the other side of the lake. We get this fog/high overcast here that works like a giant diffuser.

corsec67
    Participant

A bit off topic:
    Photobucket is resizing my high-res pics (not by much, but that’s still more than I’d like). If I post a smaller version inline hosted at PB, and link that pic to a high-res version on my own site, is my bandwidth still going to be hosed?

I host the small versions that appear in the threads, and each image is usually requested about 5,000 times in a couple of days. A bigger version that you only link to wouldn’t be clicked on nearly that much, and should be fine.

Is that windmill farm east-north-east of Denver by about 100 miles? (I just saw that you list your location as Colorado)

NoticeablyF.A.T.
    Participant

I host the small versions that appear in the threads, and each image is usually requested about 5,000 times in a couple of days. A bigger version that you only link to wouldn’t be clicked on nearly that much, and should be fine.

Thanks, I figured I probably wouldn’t get as many clicks, so I think I’ll go that route and see what happens.

Is that windmill farm east-north-east of Denver by about 100 miles? (I just saw that you list your location as Colorado)

That’s the one. Just west of 85, just south of the WY border. I was actually a few miles in WY when I was taking the pictures.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Farm 1
    Farm 2

I’m planning to post a wind farm entry too, but a different place and a different perspective.

For what it’s worth, I like the movement of the first one, even though I agree with corsec67 about the sky/ground composition strength of the second one. But the movement bonus outweighs the composition strength IMO.

NoticeablyF.A.T.
    Participant

Ah, hell, I’ll just use both.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Farm 1
    Farm 2

I like the 1st one better myself.

The 2nd one has a better composition but it looks crooked to me (pet peeve is crooked photos) I don’t think it is I think it is just the angle but it catches my eye as crooked on first glance.

U-Man
    Participant

….by how much that person groks Farktography…

R.A.H. – Still one of my favorite authors.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)
  • The topic ‘11-05-08 – On the Farm’ is closed to new replies.