11-1-06-Hallowe’en, part deux

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-1-06-Hallowe’en, part deux

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Diggin
    Participant

Really… I have to try that… It’s an incredible shot!

trvonder
    Participant

This article posted to the Main page on Thu, 02 Nov 2006 at 12:07 AM

Elsinore
    Keymaster

HUZZAH!!

monkeybort
    Participant

Really… I have to try that… It’s an incredible shot!

that’s just my guess – 2nd curtain can give some really cool effects.

SilverStag
    Participant

I’d say there look to be quite a few ‘shopped entries this week.

sleeping
    Participant

Can’t speak for anyone else, but I did mine the old fashioned way (the trick, of course, is to bury the body in a spot you can return to on the anniversary with a camera without arousing suspicion….)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I wrote up an explanation of how I did my ghost shots. It’s sorta longish, but you can read it here:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/farktography/discuss/72157594356911400/

SilverStag
    Participant

well, I cant read it there because “I don’t hav permission to view this page” 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

whafuh? That’s the permalink…odd. Hm…can you go to http://www.flickr.com/groups/farktography/ ? If so, click on Elsinore’s Guide to Creating Fake Ghost Photos

Diggin
    Participant

I got an honorable mention!

/Woo Hoo

Curious
    Participant

Elsinore nice tut but why the unsharp mask?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well, I typically run just a bit anytime I scale down from ~3500×2500 pixels to web resolution size like 600-700 pixels on the long side. There’s a bit of softness that happens in the downscaling. I supposed if I downscaled in steps rather than in one large jump, there might be less of that, but I haven’t tested that out much. Canon DSLR’s are also just a bit soft straight out of camera. I could bump up my in-camera sharpness, but that can increase noise, so I prefer to handle adding the extra bit of sharpness in post processing where it’s less likely to increase noise, particularly since I use smart sharpening. And when I say just a bit, I seriously mean just a bit. As in radius 0.3-0.6 and amount 0.3-0.6.

schnee
    Participant

I supposed if I downscaled in steps rather than in one large jump, there might be less of that, but I haven’t tested that out much.

I’m a firm believer in the downsample-by-steps approach.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I actually downloaded a couple of downsample-by-steps plugins for GIMP a month or so ago, but they don’t let me choose my downsampling method (cubic, etc), so I kind of wrote them off. Might have to give them another looksee though…

monkeybort
    Participant

diggin – you’re the man, man. you’re crushing the vote!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • The topic ‘11-1-06-Hallowe’en, part deux’ is closed to new replies.