11-17-10 – Artistic Bent

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-17-10 – Artistic Bent

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 167 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Let your inner artiste out to play- Show us your three most artistic photos. Difficulty: Photos from previous contests will be allowed only if they were outside of the top ten finishes for that contest. More Difficulty: No HDR.

Another quality theme suggestion by SilverStag!

ennuipoet
    Participant

Aww, man, I guess I’ll break the seal on this question: What about HDR’s this week?

I ask because most of my “artistic shots” are done in HDR.

SilverStag
    Participant

I hate to be a killjoy, but I really dislike HDR. I see it as too gimmicky and overdone to death.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I hate to be a killjoy, but I really dislike HDR. I see it as too gimmicky and overdone to death.

I respect that. I even agree with it! See, this is why we can’t have nice things! There is a lot of crappy HDR out there giving the form a bad rep.

Kestrana
    Participant

I love playing with HDR but it was easy to select my shots for this contest without even thinking about my HDR. The real question is whether or not the voting public defines an artistic shot the way I define an artistic shot…

ennuipoet
    Participant

I love playing with HDR but it was easy to select my shots for this contest without even thinking about my HDR. The real question is whether or not the voting public defines an artistic shot the way I define an artistic shot…

Therein lies the rub. What is art? (Let me find my turtleneck and beret, pack a bowl and put on small dark glasses.) While photography is art, not all photography is art. I take a lot of stuff that accurately depicts the reality I perceive, I tend to think of “art” as an interpretation of filtered through my conscious world view. Sometimes that is how I perceived something, sometimes it how I present what I perceived. Thus my question about HDR, it wasn’t about playing with something cool (even though it is cool and fun to play with) but about how I use that tool to create an artistic vision of the reality I’ve photographed. (smokes) Whoa! That was, like, deep, man.

ravnostic
    Participant

Therein lies the rub. What is art? (Let me find my turtleneck and beret, pack a bowl and put on small dark glasses.) While photography is art, not all photography is art. I take a lot of stuff that accurately depicts the reality I perceive, I tend to think of “art” as an interpretation of filtered through my conscious world view. Sometimes that is how I perceived something, sometimes it how I present what I perceived. Thus my question about HDR, it wasn’t about playing with something cool (even though it is cool and fun to play with) but about how I use that tool to create an artistic vision of the reality I’ve photographed. (smokes) Whoa! That was, like, deep, man.

Dude. [inhales deeply] I totally dig this, man! Far out.

olavf
    Participant

Therein lies the rub. What is art?

I don’t know, but I know what I like…

/serious answer: I believe that art is something that makes you think, or feel an emotion about it. So, from a photography aspect, that’s the defining level between something that’s artistic, and something that’s a snapshot to me. That nebulous line between ‘that’s a cool picture’ and something that touches you deeper; makes you ponder what you’re looking at on a deeper level. It can be anything from a simple rose to a highly orchestrated studio shoot to a random person on the street, but it has to illicit some emotion, and/or a ‘pondering’ (for lack of a better word) on a core level to really be artistic.

And there’s a lot of things that I would consider ‘art’ that I don’t necessarily like. And a lot of things that some people wouldn’t consider ‘art’ that I do. And a lot of things that people call art that for whatever reason doesn’t speak to me on some root level, and I therefore can’t appreciate it as such, whether I “like” it, or not.

At the gut level, I think it’s an individual thing. One man’s trash is another’s treasure, and vice-versa, if you will.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

We might want to put a note about no HDR, otherwise people will think it’s open to that.

SilverStag
    Participant

We might want to put a note about no HDR, otherwise people will think it’s open to that.

Yepper.

olavf
    Participant

Yepper.

Allowing, but not limiting, previous contest entries certainly implies that they’re okay.

/I’m fine either way, but you’re not likely to see any HDR entries from me, either

Kestrana
    Participant

Or just a note “all normal farktography rules apply”.

ravnostic
    Participant

Or just a note “all normal farktography rules apply”.

Pardon me for saying so, but why not simplify? Entries that are previous non-top 10ers most likely wouldn’t fair any better here than in any original contest (else they’d have struck a chord in the original). The odds that something new on the order of top 10 wouldn’t be entered are slim to none.

Since there were valid contests that allowed HDR, the blanket difficulty with the added contradictory caveat just muddies the waters. Eliminate the ‘difficulty’, and previous ‘artistic’ efforts will still be hugely varied within this venue.

I know most of my highest voted pics have numerous alternatives that I took, where I picked just one of many. If one wishes to retry a planned artistic shot subject, they probably have alternative shots of the same. Heck, I must have 20 shots of the Ding Dong Tower of Pisa! And that was my ‘throwaway’ entry!

Just a thought.

clouddancer
    Participant

So I have something to go by with this, what types of artistic styles could I use to get jump started on an idea? Only one my brain can come up with now is blur, but I have limited potential for that unless the rain stops. I’m rather flummoxed on this.

orionid
    Participant

bokeh
    Soft Focus
    Vaseline Filter (How To) also ho to
    redscale
    Vignetting
    Expired film

There are many many many more ways to go about this, just get creative. Think of a rule, then break that rule. If you think there’s something to it, run with it. If you don’t like the effects, break a different rule.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 167 total)
  • The topic ‘11-17-10 – Artistic Bent’ is closed to new replies.