11-17-10 – Artistic Bent

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-17-10 – Artistic Bent

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 167 total)
  • Author
    kashari
    Participant

OMG Kestrana, those colors in your flower shot are gorgeous! I’ve never seen one like it, do you know what kind of flower that is?

Unfortunately no. I’ve looked on the Central Park flower website and several tropical websites. Found some other pictures of the same flower on Flickr with such helpful names as “Blue Flower”.

After some Googling I think it could be something called Tibouchina urvilleana. The unusual hook shaped stamens are what made the connection for me.

Thanks, what a cool flower!

ravnostic
    Participant

…I think you’re getting a little too hung up on the voting aspect of Farktography.

Ya think? I thought it was more of a statistics hang-up myself. I was always a math nerd.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

It’s official–Congrats to Harpo this week!

ravnostic: I’ve deleted the comment in question.

PandyFarmer
    Participant

When exactly is the voting cut-off time?

olavf
    Participant

Sometime Saturday night. I don’t know if anyone knows exactly.

And, congrats Harpo!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

It’s random, so no one knows. Sometime after midnight Sat/Sun and before 1 pm Sunday.

mopsy
    Participant

Harpo, your win is one of my all time favorites. It looks like an Ansel Adam’s photo.
    PandyFarmer, yep, I’m very fortunate to live here. Even going to work I take a road that goes along the river. There is one area that looks like the Hamm’s Beer ad of many years ago where the song had the line that said In The Land of Sky Blue Waters.

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

now you have 4

I thank you,. but I honestly hope you up-voted that one because you liked it.

They deserved it…though I prefered “Spotlight” over “Back.” I’m a huge fan of negative space, moodiness. Personally, I’d go for a different composition, but that’s just me.

On another note, just to gripe: I’m still disgruntled how many voters consider slow-shutter shots while driving as “artistic.” Guess there’s something to be said for altered states of mind………..

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

On another note, just to gripe: I’m still disgruntled how many voters consider slow-shutter shots while driving as “artistic.” Guess there’s something to be said for altered states of mind………..

Really? See, I thought art was about pushing boundaries, exploring new territory, trying new things as an “artist.”

You like negative space; well, I like bold colors. Colors and their interplay have always fascinated me since I was a child. I’d thought about doing yet another long-exposure of moving traffic but then the idea came to try it from the other side of the wheel and frankly I liked the outcome. I like the bright mix of colors against the dark background and evidently a few other people did as well.

And there was more to it than you’re implying. It took several test shots to see how the colors would get exposed and mixed, it took adding a ND filter to extend the time without blowing out the colors, and it took experimenting with different sections of road to find the right mix of colors.

I’m sorry you didn’t like it. Personally, I didn’t find much “artistic” about several entries this week (great shots, but lots of standard landscapes and the like). But then I didn’t come here to complain about them either.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Speaking of colors, rav I really liked your origami shot – colorful and a creative idea.

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

negative space doesn’t have to be exclusively black/dark, though it tends to be. i’ve shot things with bold colors as the negative space.

slow-shutter driving shots are interesting to look at, but few strike me as “artistic.” i will readily admit there were a few i was impressed with. my gripe, if i might weakly clarify, is being disgruntled and dismayed and puzzled by the number of those shots that received a significant number of votes. i didn’t knock any particular photo or photographer or voter.

my complaining wasn’t the motive for coming here. commenting on Olavf’s photo was. the gripe happened to be a whiny after-thought.

and for what little it’s worth, i happen to like your show-shutter driving shots. so there.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I didn’t see any other shots (on the voting results page anyway) that looked like they used a “slow shutter while driving” technique, so I assumed it was targeted at mine.

Regardless, please accept my apologies for the earlier outburst. I’m normally a live-and-let-live, to-each-his-own kinda guy, but you caught me on a bad day. I really just wanted to let you know that there was some “artistic” thought put into it, regardless of the actual outcome.

And you’re in good company here wondering what drives the voters. When you get it figured out, please let the rest of us know! 🙂

And in all sincerity, I’ve been a fan of your work for quite a while before you came to the forums. You’ve posted some really nice shots.

ravnostic
    Participant

Speaking of colors, rav I really liked your origami shot – colorful and a creative idea.

Thanks!

olavf
    Participant

They deserved it…though I prefered “Spotlight” over “Back.” I’m a huge fan of negative space, moodiness. Personally, I’d go for a different composition, but that’s just me.

Thanks! I think I agree with you. ‘Back’ was the original idea that I had going into the studio, but as I was playing around with the lighting I decided to cut the hair light all together and grab the flashlight. I know what I want to fix – center her in the frame a bit more, and probably bring grab the 4-cell to get a bit more light. Now, to figure out how to cut the picture oval and do a cameo framing. That’s going to be tricky 😉

orionid
    Participant

Stumbled across this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/photoimage/2861437405/

guy makes some points.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 167 total)
  • The topic ‘11-17-10 – Artistic Bent’ is closed to new replies.