11-17-10 – Artistic Bent

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-17-10 – Artistic Bent

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 167 total)
  • Author
    Uranus
    Participant

Think of a rule, then break that rule. If you think there’s something to it, run with it. If you don’t like the effects, break a different rule.

“You are part of a rebel alliance and a traitor….”

LeicaLens
    Participant

Couple of questions:
    Are multiple exposures with a film camera allowed?
    Is “cross-scanning” negatives allowed?

orionid
    Participant

Couple of questions:
    Are multiple exposures with a film camera allowed?
    Is “cross-scanning” negatives allowed?

Anything done in camera is kosher.

I’m not sure what you mean by cross-scanning. Setting the scanner for positive film, scanning negatives, or vice-versa, then inverting in post? I’d lean towards allowing that, but haven’t had any artistic success the few times I’ve tried it. I’ll let the modmins rule on that. I have scanned c-41 process BW as color to pick up a nice sepia tone on some of my sprocketography, to no complaints.

LeicaLens
    Participant

I’m not sure what you mean by cross-scanning. Setting the scanner for positive film, scanning negatives, or vice-versa, then inverting in post? I’d lean towards allowing that, but haven’t had any artistic success the few times I’ve tried it. I’ll let the modmins rule on that. I have scanned c-41 process BW as color to pick up a nice sepia tone on some of my sprocketography, to no complaints.

Yep. Shooting a roll of, say, slide film, then scanning in the negatives as black and white negatives, or shooting B&W film and scanning it in as colour film. It gets similar results to cross-processing.
    To be honest, I have only done it once by accident, and I am not sure I would use the results. I just want to know if the possibility is there.

orionid
    Participant

I can’t see why that wouldn’t be kosher as BW conversions by desaturation or filtering is allowed. And when I asked about it a year ago, concensus was that scanning my BW as color for the sepia effect was kosher.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Anything done in camera is kosher.

Anything? The new P&S I just bought for concert photos does HDR and selective color in-camera. I’m guessing those effects would still be frowned on, though.

orionid
    Participant

Yeah….. Technology’s a biatch sometimes. I guess that should read “most things” done in camera. General concensus has been if you can do it with film, and your digital camera allows it, it’s kosher.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Yeah….. Technology’s a biatch sometimes. I guess that should read “most things” done in camera. General concensus has been if you can do it with film, and your digital camera allows it, it’s kosher.

It is the wave of the future. As more and more on board digital effects come in camera they are going to spew like warm beer vomit over the photography landscape. (And this is from me, who LIKES HDR). Basically, technology is progressing to the point that it removes the necessity of knowledge or talent from the creative process. Ain’t the future grand!

sleeping
    Participant

Basically, technology is progressing to the point that it removes the necessity of knowledge or talent from the creative process.

It really isn’t. Mostly this stuff just allows people to take bad photos and make them worse…

orionid
    Participant

Basically, technology is progressing to the point that it removes the necessity of knowledge or talent from the creative process.

It really isn’t. Mostly this stuff just allows people to take bad photos and make them worse…

It’s times like this, I wish we had a “like” button in the forum.

My opinion is similar to Ennuipoet‘s in that enables people who would otherwise be too lazy, or sheepish to try something the old way whether it be chemistry and darkroom effects or good PS/processing skills to get the results that were previously unavailable to them.

Sort of like shortening the trunk on an apple tree, so that a ladder is no longer needed to get the ones at the top.

linguine
    Participant

Yep. Shooting a roll of, say, slide film, then scanning in the negatives as black and white negatives, or shooting B&W film and scanning it in as colour film. It gets similar results to cross-processing.
    To be honest, I have only done it once by accident, and I am not sure I would use the results. I just want to know if the possibility is there.

I would think thats fine. As for allowing anything in camera I would say in general anything you can’t do on film in camera and is not allowed to be done on computer is usually not allowed to be done in a digital camera.

U-Man
    Participant

I still don’t have a clear understanding of the spirit of this theme.

/that won’t stop me from throwing something into the mix though.

olavf
    Participant

I still don’t have a clear understanding of the spirit of this theme.

/that won’t stop me from throwing something into the mix though.

I’m presuming this is a fairly open ‘whatever you consider artistic’ contest, as opposed to the ‘artsy-fartsy’ which as I understand you’re supposed to conform to what is considered an ‘artistic style’ (as in impressionism or whatever).

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, because I’m hoping to shoot all three this weekend.

SilverStag
    Participant

My intention was to have a fairly open theme, in the sense that there is an art as well as a science to photography. Think “I don’t know what art is, but I know it when I see it”.

I was looking for photographs that engage the viewer, or make them think; not just pretty pictures.

clouddancer
    Participant

I believe the spirit of the theme is to explore artistic styles one may not have considered before (bokeh, Vaseline on the lens, soft focus, blur, etc, just to name the few I can remember right now). At least that’s how I’m interpreting it. Instead of focusing on one artistic style, we get to choose which one we like and post one of those.

Personally, unless Hubby can find me filters (or fake filters), Ima gonna attempt to use plastic wrap and Vaseline to do that soft focus thing. I may head over to the Dodlin Road this weekend to see if I can’t get that wind turbine in action and get some blurring from that. Other than that, not sure.

I think those waterfall pictures with the dreamy/flowy water is pretty artistic, too, but that may not count.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 167 total)
  • The topic ‘11-17-10 – Artistic Bent’ is closed to new replies.