11-19-08 – The Inept Farktographer

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-19-08 – The Inept Farktographer

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    SilverStag
    Participant

crazily, there’s really not a lot of noise in the image.

I suppose once you saturate the sensor, noise doesn’t matter 🙂

justkat
    Participant

well i’ve gathered three pix. only one of them is remotely interesting, more’s the pity… although i’ve certainly been known to misjudge what voters are going to find interesting.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Finding photos for this week’s contest was very entertaining and raised a couple of questions I hadn’t expected. First of all I quickly decided to make this a rummage through archives, since going out to intentionally take inept photos didn’t makes sense in my case. I can see how trying out new ideas, new equipment, new settings, etc… without thinking them through could work. But I have enough awful results from years of learning through mistakes that I could just edit from countless choices.

Even then, deciding what makes a “good” bad photo was a challenge. There are so many ways an image can go wrong from bad composition, bad lighting/setting, accidents at just the wrong moment, bad choices for settings/lens, equipment/film malfunctions, etc… I wasn’t sure which route to take so I threw up (pun?) a wide range of miserable photos in a gallery and asked friends to laugh and point. Those replies have been lots of fun, so this contest is already a big win for me.

Have a look at 59 shades of fail if you need a chuckle and post your own “almost but not quite bad enough” selections here if you had too many to pick from too.

soosh
    Participant

those are all pretty cool shots.

redwoodcruzr
    Participant

Finding photos for this week’s contest was very entertaining and raised a couple of questions I hadn’t expected. First of all I quickly decided to make this a rummage through archives, since going out to intentionally take inept photos didn’t makes sense in my case. I can see how trying out new ideas, new equipment, new settings, etc… without thinking them through could work. But I have enough awful results from years of learning through mistakes that I could just edit from countless choices.

Even then, deciding what makes a “good” bad photo was a challenge. There are so many ways an image can go wrong from bad composition, bad lighting/setting, accidents at just the wrong moment, bad choices for settings/lens, equipment/film malfunctions, etc… I wasn’t sure which route to take so I threw up (pun?) a wide range of miserable photos in a gallery and asked friends to laugh and point. Those replies have been lots of fun, so this contest is already a big win for me.

Have a look at 59 shades of fail if you need a chuckle and post your own “almost but not quite bad enough” selections here if you had too many to pick from too.

Choc-Ful-A, thanks for the inspiration. I’ve been doing a bit of rummaging myself.

There is definitely a fine line between crappy with character and just pain ol’ crappy. I think I’ve settled on a few that make me chuckle (or at least say WTF).

Looking forward to a truly bizarre contest this week.

corsec67
    Participant

Looking forward to a truly bizarre contest this week.

Yeah, this is going to be an odd contest.
    I am thinking the subtitle could be “So bad it’s good”

soosh
    Participant

mine are mostly kicked the tripod during long exposure in the dark shots.

except for one, which got screwed up as the frozen muskeg I was on started sinking into the non-frozen muck below, causing star trails to do some weird things.

linguine
    Participant

Wish I hadnt used this shot before where I picked up the tripod in the middle of the exposure because I forgot how long I had left the shutter open.

staplermofo
    Participant

I should just link to all of my fark party pictures.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I know where you are coming from. I went through the archives yesterday and found that most of my bad shots were just that. bad shots.

I took a few of my wife (portrait type) this weekend while slightly inebriated and forgot to change the aperture settings so I have some very nice F1.8 shots where her knees are in perfect focus but the rest is a bit off.

I don’t think those would fit my ideas of what I want for this theme though.

I did come up with a few screwups that were actually pretty cool and today I developed my test roll from the Blankamera and found a really neat double exposure.

We’ll have to see what the Farkotraphy voters think of them.

I’ll post my rejects after I decide which ones I am going to use.

orionid
    Participant

I’ve got my freinds voting on my “top six” rejects right now. Once the state of VA makes up it’s mind, we may have a winner.

Elsinore
    Keymaster
    millera9
    Participant

This is already one of my all time favorite farktography threads. Keep ’em comin’ people!

U-Man
    Participant

I was totally uninterested in this contest until a few days ago when, as others have related, I started going through the archive. Then I started to get into it. After seeing the initial entries tonight, I am very pleasantly surprised at how cool many of the entries are.

Also, if corsec67 ever gets sick or anything and needs a stand in photographer, I volunteer.

corsec67
    Participant

Also, if corsec67 ever gets sick or anything and needs a stand in photographer, I volunteer.

Only if I can borrow your kids.

(If you are referring to my first entry, Meetup.com has a pretty good photography section, which is where I get to shoot with most of the models I work with. Now I just need to work on the “get paid to work with models” part.)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • The topic ‘11-19-08 – The Inept Farktographer’ is closed to new replies.