11-23-11 – Triptych Portraits

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-23-11 – Triptych Portraits

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 311 total)
  • Author
    gambitsgirl
    Participant

It’s on. I’m pullin out the daugther photos!!!!!

kashari
    Participant

K – Thanks. I have a biased opinion, but I agree with you.

Yoyo – Yeah, we all go through the awkward, zit-face, out-of-proportion-features features stage. You just have to hope it doesn’t last. 🙂

While I always like a win, I would ‘lose’ gracefully when the competition is as good as kashari’s horse.

Thanks U-Man! I had a hard time deciding on the right corner image, but decided to stay with my first instinct.

As usual, I love all three of yours, but the snow angel & Hot would make great x-mas cards!

ennuipoet
    Participant

Have a little pity on those of us who have to use someone else’s daughter…no…wait…that came out wrong…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to kashari this week!

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Well done, kashari! Pretty much anybody who entered this one deserves a pat on the back; the creativity shown was staggering. Some of the stuff you came up with, I never would have thought of in a million years. Kashari‘s top frame of the horse’s back evoking the contours of the mountains in the background, Kestrana‘s thin strip of peacock plumage which really unites the triptych into a whole IMO, sleeping‘s use of a macro rose leaf as a background/framing for the other two … these are just a few of the things that had me saying “wow” as I scrolled through the contest.

I gained a new appreciation and understanding of triptychs from this–mainly, as ravnostic said, that they are a lot of work! The one entry I had that was composed of three all-new photos, the B+W “Work and Play” selfie, took 6-8 hours from idea to final product. So many variables to consider when putting these together … so like I say, if you managed to make even one of these, that’s an accomplishment in itself.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Congrats to kashari on the individual win and to U-Man for the first in combined. The Weekly Reports post has been updated with the latest stats.

As Zero said, lots of good stuff this week, and lots of work required for this one so congrats to everyone who submitted. We ended up with 30 contestants and 73 entries, which ranks this contest at #9 for the fewest contestants ever and #14 for the fewest entries ever. However, and I think this speaks a lot about the effort put into this one and its subsequent appeal, it’s #118 when ranked by fewest votes ever.

Looking at it another way, this contest is the #5 highest ever ranked by votes/contestant (41.13) or votes/entry (16.9).

// aspidites, what happened?!? All of your entries disappeared about 4:30 this morning!

kashari
    Participant

Thanks you guys, it was a great theme and there were so many terrific entries, it’s an honor!

The horse’s back is ranking as one of my favorite images right now. I did a black/white conversion which I really like also as it’s more abstract and takes a minute to click-in as to what it is. Think I’m going to use my Canvas on Demand groupon today. 🙂

gambitsgirl
    Participant

Have a little pity on those of us who have to use someone else’s daughter…no…wait…that came out wrong…

I… uh…

*hides daughter*

gambitsgirl
    Participant

Thanks you guys, it was a great theme and there were so many terrific entries, it’s an honor!

The horse’s back is ranking as one of my favorite images right now. I did a black/white conversion which I really like also as it’s more abstract and takes a minute to click-in as to what it is. Think I’m going to use my Canvas on Demand groupon today. 🙂

Awesome job! It’s a striking photo.

orionid
    Participant

Congrats to kashari on the individual win and to U-Man for the first in combined. The Weekly Reports post has been updated with the latest stats.

As Zero said, lots of good stuff this week, and lots of work required for this one so congrats to everyone who submitted. We ended up with 30 contestants and 73 entries, which ranks this contest at #9 for the fewest contestants ever and #14 for the fewest entries ever. However, and I think this speaks a lot about the effort put into this one and its subsequent appeal, it’s #118 when ranked by fewest votes ever.

Looking at it another way, this contest is the #5 highest ever ranked by votes/contestant (41.13) or votes/entry (16.9).

// aspidites, what happened?!? All of your entries disappeared about 4:30 this morning!

On the topic of statistics, here’s some interesting numbers. My “NSFW” which was intended to get people to click, say “wha…? Oh! Pearl necklace! I get it! How clever!” had just over 1300 clickthroughs. Not 1300 views, but 1300 clickthroughs from either fark or fark mobile. Now, assuming each clickthrough is an independent person who was hoping to see boobies and left disappointed (although there might be some farkers with a makeup fetish who came back a few times), that means there are at least 1300 pervs on fark (we knew that).

But what it also shines a light on is just how many people view the themes and don’t vote. Bibliostats recorded 1230 some votes total. That means that if everyone who voted only voted for one photo (which we all know isn’t true), then at least 70 thread viewers didn’t vote. Given that a) the likelyhood of each voter voting for more than one photo is fairly high, and b) the likely hood that every thread viewer turned into a clickthrough on my photo is incredibly unlikely, that means we have a significant population of farktography voyeurs.

So….. How do we make them vote?

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Mandatory vote whoring for all entries?

Farktographer
    Participant

Complicated virus that won’t let them leave the page until they vote for at least 1 entry, perhaps?

Kestrana
    Participant

Congrats kashari I’m going to post your winning photo on the Farktography G+ page (attributed of course). Please let me know if that’s not ok.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

On the topic of statistics, here’s some interesting numbers. My “NSFW” which was intended to get people to click, say “wha…? Oh! Pearl necklace! I get it! How clever!” had just over 1300 clickthroughs. Not 1300 views, but 1300 clickthroughs from either fark or fark mobile. Now, assuming each clickthrough is an independent person who was hoping to see boobies and left disappointed (although there might be some farkers with a makeup fetish who came back a few times), that means there are at least 1300 pervs on fark (we knew that).

But what it also shines a light on is just how many people view the themes and don’t vote. Bibliostats recorded 1230 some votes total. That means that if everyone who voted only voted for one photo (which we all know isn’t true), then at least 70 thread viewers didn’t vote. Given that a) the likelyhood of each voter voting for more than one photo is fairly high, and b) the likely hood that every thread viewer turned into a clickthrough on my photo is incredibly unlikely, that means we have a significant population of farktography voyeurs.

It’s much worse than that even. I pulled my server logs for this contest and from contest start until midnight Sunday, there were 2,068 unique IP addresses that viewed the contest. This is after filtering for myself, Fark’s link checkers, and other image bots like Google.

That’s going to include a few instances of multiple IPs per person due to the same person viewing from multiple devices, but that’s still somewhere around TWO THOUSAND people that viewed the contest. That’s nowhere near even 1 vote per viewer.

orionid
    Participant

I has a sad.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 311 total)
  • The topic ‘11-23-11 – Triptych Portraits’ is closed to new replies.